Someone please tell me...

I'd love for Miami to play Ohio State, Oklahoma, Michigan, Washington, or USC in the regular season for non conference games.

Advertisement
Temple in Philly.
I'm there.

I disagree with those who think it's not a recruiting area for us.
Philly means Jersey as well.
Pennsylvania and NJ rank #s 8 and 9 with the most players in the NFL by state.
Gary, Fitzpatrick, Peppers, Apple...you get the idea.
Why let the powers that be, like Michigan, Bama and OSU, be the only ones who cherry pick there?

Last edited:
Well, all those schools are Midwest schools that likely recruit Philly heavily. They probably used Temple as more a showcase to pull in recruits. What's the reasoning for Miami to travel to Philly, Arkansas State or Toledo?

You lost this one.

Take the L like a man and move on.

Stop grasping for straws. Nobody is arguing about Arkansas State and Toledo, this is Temple we're talking about.

:monkey-serious::sanford:

What's your point?

Your implication that Temple is somehow a far superior opponent to the two teams mentioned I find ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous.

Major P5 programs don't travel to Toledo or Arkansas State.

But they do travel to Temple.

Scheduling is hard enough. This is good cupcake scheduling, as opposed to those other schools.

A G5 program that other top P5 programs visit. It's a good move.

You wasted your cute little pictures.

PHILADELPHIA — The Miami Hurricanes gained a decision over Temple, 38-14, in the main bout Saturday at Veterans Stadium.

In the undercard, quarterback Frank Costa's cheering section, from the South Philadelphia neighborhood where he grew up, KO'd six security guards during an angry brawl in the west end zone late in the third quarter.

Miami players and coaches craned their necks to see the meanest licks of the day as a series of fights spilled through the stands in the Costa rooting section.

''At the time, we were saying this fight's a lot more exciting than this game,'' Miami receiver Chris T. Jones said. ''Frank's got some tough people behind him. Some wild ones.''

The drama ended early for Temple when the Hurricanes scored 17 second-quarter points to seize a 24-7 halftime lead.

''I thought we played well for three quarters,'' Miami coach Dennis Erickson said.

The Hurricanes (9-1, 6-0 Big East) clinched the Big East title and remained on course for a New Year's Night showdown with top-ranked Nebraska in the Orange Bowl Classic. The Hurricanes rolled up 608 yards of total offense, including 291 yards rushing. They scored five rushing touchdowns.

Temple (2-9, 0-7) made Miami look sloppy early, but the Owls could not sustain the effort before 11,873 fans at Veterans Stadium. It was the smallest crowd to see a Hurricanes' game since 1980.

James Stewart led Miami, rushing for 85 yards and two touchdowns. Al Shipman also rushed for 85 yards, and he scored a touchdown. Also, Larry Jones and Trent Jones each ran for touchdowns.

''We scored a lot of points,'' Costa said. ''That's what matters. We're scoring points, and that's my job. It doesn't matter if I throw touchdowns or we rush for them.''

Costa completed 19 of 36 passes for 249 yards with one interception.

Jim Gorman, vice president of SpectaGuard security, said the fight broke out after a fan in Costa's rooting section was ejected for trying to run onto the field. A close friend of Costa's family said a security guard ripped an Italian flag during the first altercation. Costa grew up in an Italian neighborhood three blocks from Veterans Stadium. About 500 family members and friends were seated in two sections in the northwest corner.

Advertisement
Couple of reasons for scheduling a home/home with Temple.

1) As previously stated, Miami doesn't turn a large profit from home games against lower level teams because turnout is usually pretty poor. Instead of forking over $500K+ to some sacrificial lamb, they get Temple to come here for free. With more consistent attendance, they might be able to get away from this sort of scheduling but in reality, Miami's attendance has always been spotty, even during the best years.

2) There's a lot of high dollar Miami alumni in the northeast and the athletic department like to throw them a bone from time to time. Especially since they no longer play Temple, Rutgers, Syracuse or Boston College every year like they did in the Big East. Philly is a short trip from New York/New Jersey/ Connecticut.

Thank you.
This year I've got GT, VT and ND scheduled. Three round trip tickets x2.
A $30 in gas "quickie" would be welcome.

-3ef5752e69bf031c.jpg

Couple of reasons for scheduling a home/home with Temple.

1) As previously stated, Miami doesn't turn a large profit from home games against lower level teams because turnout is usually pretty poor. Instead of forking over $500K+ to some sacrificial lamb, they get Temple to come here for free. With more consistent attendance, they might be able to get away from this sort of scheduling but in reality, Miami's attendance has always been spotty, even during the best years.

2) There's a lot of high dollar Miami alumni in the northeast and the athletic department like to throw them a bone from time to time. Especially since they no longer play Temple, Rutgers, Syracuse or Boston College every year like they did in the Big East. Philly is a short trip from New York/New Jersey/ Connecticut.

Thank you.
This year I've got GT, VT and ND scheduled. Three round trip tickets x2.
A $30 in gas "quickie" would be welcome.

I stayed in Ventnor a few years ago. You all have some nice beaches.

By the time we're done with them, they will wish they had gone on dates with famous Temple alum, Bill Cosby.

Advertisement
You lost this one.

Take the L like a man and move on.

Stop grasping for straws. Nobody is arguing about Arkansas State and Toledo, this is Temple we're talking about.

:monkey-serious::sanford:

What's your point?

Your implication that Temple is somehow a far superior opponent to the two teams mentioned I find ridiculous.

It's not ridiculous.

Scheduling is hard enough. This is good cupcake scheduling, as opposed to those other schools.

The only way that your assumption holds up is if P5 programs are traveling to Temple because they are far superior to the two teams mentioned. Is that the case? Evidence welcome.

It's not ridiculous.

The only way that your assumption holds up is if P5 programs are traveling to Temple because they are far superior to the two teams mentioned. Is that the case? Evidence welcome.

What the **** are you attempting to argue?

What's your point?

It's not ridiculous.

No attempt. An assertion was made that other P5 schools schedule H/H series with Temple and not Toledo/Ark St. because they are a far superior team. I would just like some evidence to back up that statement.

Last edited:
Advertisement

It's not ridiculous.

No attempt. An assertion was made that other P5 schools schedule H/H series with Temple and not Toledo/Ark St. because they are a far superior team. I would just like some evidence to back up that statement.

Pretty sure P5 programs play H/H against G5 programs regularly. I think ND and Ped State very recently played in Philly.

It's not ridiculous.

Pretty sure P5 programs play H/H against G5 programs regularly. I think ND and Ped State very recently played in Philly.

I agree.

I don't mind this home-and-home, mainly for recruiting reasons. Philly's close to Pennsylvania, NJ and the DMV area, fairly fertile recruiting grounds outside of FL.

Advertisement

It's not ridiculous.

You're an idiot.

The only assertion I made was that top P5 programs schedule home and home with them. I didn't state that they schedule home and home with them because they were a far superior team.

What I said was that from a scheduling standpoint, it is far superior to schedule a home and home with Temple than it is with Arkansas state or Toledo.

Your whole argument has really been stupid, I think it's time for you to take your L and move on.

It's not ridiculous.

You're an idiot.

The only assertion I made was that top P5 programs schedule home and home with them. I didn't state that they schedule home and home with them because they were a far superior team.

What I said was that from a scheduling standpoint, it is far superior to schedule a home and home with Temple than it is with Arkansas state or Toledo.

Your whole argument has really been stupid, I think it's time for you to take your L and move on.

What makes Temple far superior than Toledo?

Temple's averaged 7 wins a season since 2010. Toledo's averaged averaged 8 wins in the same time span.

Advertisement
Back