Some thoughts on the BCC game

View as article
Advertisement
Advertisement
One thing that occurred to me on my way home was that there wasn’t a single offensive play that had me scratching my head - even the ones that gained no yards. At times, I felt that Lashlee would call a play that didn’t necessarily make sense (and I loved Lashlee), even against inferior competition. I rewatched the game and doubled down on my conclusion. I hope I’m still saying that against Texas A&M, but for now I’m pretty impressed.

Gattis is the real.

People complaining about the deep ball. That WILL come.

Gattis is establishing a machine that will always be ahead of the chains.

BCU was bracketing the outside guys and playing corners off. SS was usually lined up deep. We torched them with the run and intermediate game.

You have to understand. Gattis doesn’t waste downs forcing downfield incompletions. He carves you up for 5-15 yards OVER and OVER and OVER again. Keep playing that safety off. Keep walking your corners back. He has the patience of an anaconda and will squeeze the life out of a defense.

I LOVED the way the offense looked. We KNOW TVD can hit the deep ball. He can find the short and intermediate stuff too. When teams bring those safeties and corners down, it will be fireworks.

This offense is going to VERY EXPLOSIVE.

Advertisement
Couple more things I picked up :

We were 7 for 7 on 3rd downs… for substance last time we played BC with Manny we were 4 for 9.

Also we had 6 penalties for 43 yards.

15 yard personal for celebration
5 yard defensive for delay of game
5 yard ineligible on Mallory
8 yard defensive P.I.
5 yard false start
5 yard illegal block

Oh and the ball was pushed down the field constantly…I didn’t see all these bubble screens etc…

A few things affected the offense and play calling in general yesterday. First and foremost, it was BCC and there was no reason to get overly creative when the simple plays were picking up big chunks. Secondly, despite being gouged in the run game, Bethune refused to commit a safety to stopping the run. They were lining up with two deep safeties on 90% of the plays. That will limit the deep outside throws but leave the middle of the field wide open and we did a good job of attacking. Third, this game was over early. Miami was more than content to run the ball heavily and keep the clock moving for a majority of the game. The final play numbers were 42 runs and 24 passes. Which is what you normally see in a blowout. No need to throw it 40 times in a game you won by 57 points.

This does not matter.

Under previous staffs, this is not happening much, especially consistently. Which was the point. This was a game where it looked like not one BCC player should even be on our roster. Which is what it should look like...but often did not.
Get your point but I'll take their number 8 over ours.. he was playing both ways

Advertisement
Advertisement
loved the running game, and the OL
efficient passing game - was it limited b/c of the WRs, or just keep is simple so the QBs stay upright

special teams were just that
hedley's best work was holding for extra points, and I'll take that every week

defense, not sure what to think
the DL was OK, did well against the run
but lost contain and could not finish when they had opps
mesidor had a tipped ball, and then a block on the pick 6 - made plays when on the field
JHH was excellent, Harvey was chasing all day, yet - 2 sacks is underwhelming as a unit
LBs - meh...
as noted Flagg is where he is suppose to be, but also didn't finish
secondary
too many soft spots in middle, and inconsistent in coverage
but - we caught the football when we had the chance - something we have failed at for a decade

most important
disciplined and physical
Mario tearing the D apart after the "questionable" call against Kinchens was super
Manny would have been hugging and finding the 14 carat gold plated ***** instead of instilling the culpability that championship teams have

70 points still is wow

He’s behind some. He played quite a bit on st’s. If some guys don’t step up it’ll open the door for guys like WB , chase and Graves / MC at cb.
Why does it seem like no matter who our coach is, we always have older guys that have no business being on the field, starting?

Defense:

- LT, Kitchens flashed - both studs
- James Williams took some horrible angles
- LBs are still pedestrian and too slow
- Ivey still looks like Ivey

Offense:

- Parish is legit
- OL = huge improvement, scheme and coaching matters
- TVD is TVD, would’ve be surprised to see him as a top 3 QB in the country

He was very average in the first half but the INT was awesome. He plays with a ton of energy but he missed a few tackles and was out of place multiple times.

I also wish Arroyo and Mallory would swap roles. Mallory is just never going to get much YAC but Arroyo has the ability.
How would you know? Just like last season Arroyo didn’t do anything in this game and was invisible. This was a game for Mallory to not get much playing time and for Arroyo ti shine. But where was he? He’s been a disappointment so far and he’s making it an easy decision for coaches to make him the #2 TE or should he be #3 behind Skinner who had a great play. It looks more and more likely Skinner will be the #1 TE next year. Just the facts….

Advertisement
Back