Some thoughts after watching Brad Kaaya

When you say QB of the future, do you mean, beat out Olsen QB of the future?"

Tough to say when one guy is still in high school. But I'm not the only one bullish on Kaaya. He will have an opportunity to compete.

Not sure if that's an impressive indicator for Kayaa or a cause of concern for what it means about Olsen.

I will say this, I've always felt like our fanbase was overhyping Olsen.

Olsen was overhyped? Please expound on that.

Advertisement
Golden will give all four QBs shots to compete. I love Kaaya, but I really love that there are 3 qbs in front of him with potential to win the starting job. William has lot of experience and pro type size. Olsen is Golden's prize recruit from 2013 and the most likely to be the "same guy each day", which something Golden loves. Cow is country big and strong and has made great progress. Kaaya has scary upside.

Given the overall talent, it will be exciting next year. I think it best if Kaaya get a shirt and I expect that to be the final result. Although it is not a given.

We'll know more about this situation next year because right now it is far too early. Olsen's ability is being doubted because of his All Star game performance that was basically his first action coming back from an injury that caused him to miss almost all of his season. He's what about four months into his freshman year in which he will be redshirting. Being a little short sighted aren't we. We will see though and that's just as exciting of a development next year as our RB battles will be IMO.

Golden will give all four QBs shots to compete. I love Kaaya, but I really love that there are 3 qbs in front of him with potential to win the starting job. William has lot of experience and pro type size. Olsen is Golden's prize recruit from 2013 and the most likely to be the "same guy each day", which something Golden loves. Cow is country big and strong and has made great progress. Kaaya has scary upside.

Given the overall talent, it will be exciting next year. I think it best if Kaaya get a shirt and I expect that to be the final result. Although it is not a given.

This

Kaaya just needs reps. He's basically a sophomore rep-wise, especially since he's in a new passing offense this year so even his 2nd team reps in the past weren't as productive. High ceiling. Wow, next years QB comp is going to be wild. Is Kaaya an EE? I forget.

Advertisement
I really wanted to see Olsen burn a shirt this year and be ready to take the job next year. That would put two years between Olsen and Kaaya and we would be back on the schedule that worked so well for us during the eighties.

When you say QB of the future, do you mean, beat out Olsen QB of the future?"

Tough to say when one guy is still in high school. But I'm not the only one bullish on Kaaya. He will have an opportunity to compete.

Not sure if that's an impressive indicator for Kayaa or a cause of concern for what it means about Olsen.

No need to. Just read any thread about the kid on here. Dude is a good prospect, but if you listen to some on here you'd think the kid was a can't miss 5 star stud. Basically to many, he's the savior. I don't see savior.

Don't have many comments on him other than what I stated from his All-star appearances: he was late a lot and DBs made up a lot of ground on his throws. I haven't watched him practice, so no idea how he's progressed.

I don't think he's Coley's type of QB. Not that I necessarily agree with what Coley seems to emphasize in QB attributes.

You don't think missing your senior year and then just stepping out there against all american DB's will throw your timing off.

Olsen is a plenty good prospect. He's got the size, the arm, he's been well coached, and he's a very solid athlete. Kaaya is a very good prospect as well IMO. I don't think whoever loses the battle to start is a bad QB. It will be interesting to see how they compete with each other and Williams next year.

I didn't say whoever loses the battle to start is a bad QB. I said I can speak to what I've seen of Olsen. What I saw was what I mentioned above. Apart from that, again, he doesn't seem like Coley's type of QB. We shall see.

No need to. Just read any thread about the kid on here. Dude is a good prospect, but if you listen to some on here you'd think the kid was a can't miss 5 star stud. Basically to many, he's the savior. I don't see savior.

The savior stuff was porsted in jest IMO. Olsen is a good prospect but he was Fisch's guy.

Advertisement

The savior stuff was porsted in jest IMO. Olsen is a good prospect but he was Fisch's guy.

Nah man, a good amount of our fanbase feels the kid is can't miss. Like I said, he's a good prospect to me, but if he doesn't pan out, that kid is going to feel the wrath of numerous people that have turned him into something he isn't (IMO).

- Excellent balance in the pocket. This might be his most encouraging attribute. When he gets pressure, he is very good about reseting and is willing to step up up in the pocket. You don't see him drifting. He's also not afraid to get hit. He took big shots all game trying to get the ball downfield.

I'm no QB guru nor a football-film genius (ala Omar Kelly) but one aspect of his game that jumped off the screen to me was his footwork. Pre-snap his feet are in the right position; setting up for a throw, same thing. His stance is solid and he's ready to fire, all under control.

*I'll first state that I have only watched Kaaya on the internet and in whatever action this year. This doesn't really have all that much to do with my feeling(s) about him.

If the other QB alternatives are healthy, I would be surprised if Kaay's the starting QB of the Miami Hurricanes at the start of the 2014 season. That's really intense. If he is, the guy is a gift from the Almighty.

If we can add another JuCo DT plug, maybe even flip Cory Johnson back, our 2014 defense should be Top 20-worthy (even if Perryman leaves). On offense, we'll have a very stout OL and a Heisman-caliber RB. Surrounding them will be a great group of WRs/TEs in Dorsett, Waters, Coley, Lewis, Scott, Walford, Sandland, Dobard.

Adding up all of Golden's comments over the years, he just seems like a guy who'll go for highest floor. In other words, if Golden were coaching the 2012 San Francisco 49ers, I think he would have chosen Alex Smith to take his shot at a Championship.

It looks like we are getting that depth we need to win big again. I am impressed with this staff recruiting!

Advertisement

I see what you see. A good prospect, but definitely not a can't miss type of guy. I think people expecting him to walk in and take Williams's lunch money next year are in for a rude awakening. His production in HS wasn't anything to write home about, and it's not like he was playing great competition. I wasn't impressed with his ability or, more importantly, his demeanor in the All Star game. Seemed like a guy who gets too emotional and rattled too easily.

He's got a lot to work on before he will be a bona fide big-time QB. He does have good potential though.

From the few clips of Kaaya I've seen, I think his release is a bit slow. Anyone agree or disagree with that?

I see what you see. A good prospect, but definitely not a can't miss type of guy. I think people expecting him to walk in and take Williams's lunch money next year are in for a rude awakening. His production in HS wasn't anything to write home about, and it's not like he was playing great competition. I wasn't impressed with his ability or, more importantly, his demeanor in the All Star game. Seemed like a guy who gets too emotional and rattled too easily.

He's got a lot to work on before he will be a bona fide big-time QB. He does have good potential though.

I'm with you guys. My expectation (hope?) for him is that he develops into a solid, smart quarterback who you can win championships with. Someone around the program compared him to Craig Erickson, and I'd definitely take that.

Advertisement

I'm with you guys. My expectation (hope?) for him is that he develops into a solid, smart quarterback who you can win championships with. Someone around the program compared him to Craig Erickson, and I'd definitely take that.

Exactly. I don't think he has Craig's wheels or even Craig's arm. But he is that "type" of guy in my book. He needs a few years in the system before I think we'll see the best of him.

He seems more like Walsh to me, very bright guy with decent arm.I actually like the intermediate and check down throws Ryan Williams makes. If we can get Kayaa and Morris to make these high percentage throws better, the offense will be more fluid. RAC throws are what we need with our skill players.

Last edited:
Really I'm just impressed D$ has UCLA sources....most surprising part of that article. Canesinsight is coast to coast!

Advertisement
Back