Some thoughts after watching Brad Kaaya

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
On Thursday, Brad Kaaya played in front of a TV audience as Chaminade took on rival Oaks Christian. Both teams have several D-I guys, so it was a good opportunity to evaluate Kaaya in a big-time environment. The game was nothing like the aerial battles Chaminade had to start the season-- they won 21-14, and Kaaya only had 183 yards on 16-26 passing. The running game, not Kaaya, carried the load. But after seeing him in an entire game and not just highlights, I am convinced James Coley has his quarterback of the future.

- The first thing you notice about Kaaya is his command over the offense. He has a lot of freedom to change plays at the line of scrimmage, and he makes very good sight adjustments. On one key third down, the corner was showing blitz, he recognized it and hit a quick hitch for a first down. He also goes through his reads at an advanced level. Kaaya was under pressure throughout the game, and Oaks Christian has several defensive backs that will play at the college level. But even against legit opposition, Kaaya still protected the ball and made sound decisions (0 turnovers).

- Different type of passer than I envisioned. He actually looks a lot like Stephen Morris. His accuracy was up-and-down (missing high a lot), but he has a power arm. Very good velocity on every route-- stick routes, downfield and especially seam throws. His ball placement was all over the place early, but when he's not rushing things he can be precise.

- Very good size. He looks smaller than he is because his upper-half is so long (like Morris), but he is well-put together and a legit 6'4.

- Decent athlete. He doesn't scramble as much as Olsen (or much at all), but he kept it once on a spread-option and looked natural running for 12 yards.

- Excellent balance in the pocket. This might be his most encouraging attribute. When he gets pressure, he is very good about reseting and is willing to step up up in the pocket. You don't see him drifting. He's also not afraid to get hit. He took big shots all game trying to get the ball downfield.

- His offense is pretty interesting. On one goal line play, he made a quick toss to the back and turned into a lead blocker (by design). Made the block, too.

- The game-winning drive said a lot about Kaaya. The running game took them down the field, but on a key third-down Kaaya stuck a slant with absolute perfect placement and velocity. Then on fourth and goal, Kaaya asked his coach for the ball and ran a QB sneak for a TD and the win.

- His demeanor really impressed me. Chaminade had a brutal fumble on the goal line right before the half. Instead of showing frustration, Kaaya snapped up, clapped his hands, and went right to his coach. When he got interviewed after the win, he spent the first minute talking about all the things the offense didn't execute.

- Jim Mora was there. Kaaya wasn't the only guy he was watching, but from what I've heard from UCLA sources they realize they've made a huge mistake.

Overall, the only negative was the inconsistent accuracy. Kaaya was very erratic, especially early, and we've seen some of that in the other cut-up videos from this season. But he flashes enough accuracy and touch to tell me that he just needs to develop. Everything else was excellent.

Based on how advanced he is and the system he plays in, I would not surprised if he came in ready to compete early in his career.

Advertisement
So do you feel as good about Olsen and Kaaya's development being in the hands of Coley with the bar Jedd set last year with his development of Morris?

[]_[]nique-31;1601269 said:
So do you feel as good about Olsen and Kaaya's development being in the hands of Coley with the bar Jedd set last year with his development of Morris?

We'll see, but Coley has been involved with two QBs (Manuel and Ponder) that improved throughout their careers and ended up as first round picks.

I know he's a solid commitment , but have to keep a close eye on UCLA. If any school could flip him would be the hometown bruins.

Advertisement

We'll see, but Coley has been involved with two QBs (Manuel and Ponder) that improved throughout their careers and ended up as first round picks.

That is true, even though most of us gave those two QBs limited credit but I did hate playing against Ponder and Manuel to me always had the skills. Our two guys are too good not to develop into top QBs I think.

Manuel seems to be doing pretty good...I know he has only played a game or two...
It will be interesting to see how our QBs mature in the offense that Coley runs...

very...VERY quick release, plays with intelligence - some high throws (most?), although some of that could be by design. Articulate.

Advertisement
When you say QB of the future, do you mean, beat out Olsen QB of the future?"

Tough to say when one guy is still in high school. But I'm not the only one bullish on Kaaya. He will have an opportunity to compete.

Tough to say when one guy is still in high school. But I'm not the only one bullish on Kaaya. He will have an opportunity to compete.

Not sure if that's an impressive indicator for Kayaa or a cause of concern for what it means about Olsen.

Not sure if that's an impressive indicator for Kayaa or a cause of concern for what it means about Olsen.

From what I've been told, it's the former.

Advertisement

Nah I feel you. I just wanted to see if I was grasping what you were actually saying. I know you've commented before about having some concerns on Olsen.

I will say this, I've always felt like our fanbase was overhyping Olsen.

Advertisement
He'll have plenty of time to develop while Baby Jesus leads the team to ACC and BCS championships for 3 years.

Don't have many comments on him other than what I stated from his All-star appearances: he was late a lot and DBs made up a lot of ground on his throws. I haven't watched him practice, so no idea how he's progressed.

I don't think he's Coley's type of QB. Not that I necessarily agree with what Coley seems to emphasize in QB attributes.

Don't have many comments on him other than what I stated from his All-star appearances: he was late a lot and DBs made up a lot of ground on his throws. I haven't watched him practice, so no idea how he's progressed.

I don't think he's Coley's type of QB. Not that I necessarily agree with what Coley seems to emphasize in QB attributes.

You don't think missing your senior year and then just stepping out there against all american DB's will throw your timing off.

Olsen is a plenty good prospect. He's got the size, the arm, he's been well coached, and he's a very solid athlete. Kaaya is a very good prospect as well IMO. I don't think whoever loses the battle to start is a bad QB. It will be interesting to see how they compete with each other and Williams next year.

Advertisement
Back