Some ridiculous Ward numbers

Advertisement
Advertisement
Good stuff.

Him behind this OL, which will be something that he has never had, is what I am looking forward to the most. He can dice anyone up if he has the time/protection. We will have to try hard to fvck this up.

….get him a WR1.
Mario and co hearing this challenge.
Sylvester Stallone Training GIF by Rocky

Nah but seriously. Youre right. It’s an 10+ win type of season. 9 wins is a failure. 8 wins or less is a catastrophe and well… let’s not go there.

Advertisement
I commented this in another thread so apologies for the duplicate, but it was such a crazy set of stats I thought it warranted its own post. Mods if you disagree feel free to delete/merge:

Ward was sacked 39 times in 2023. Wazzu gave up 3.5 sacks per game, good for 123rd in FBS. Now here's the fun part - statistically, Ward was the same QB or better under duress. Dude got sacked 6 times v Oregon and threw for 430 yards. 6 times v Cal and threw for 354 and 3 TDs.

Now in the rare instances Wazzu actually did give him time? Sacked once v Oregon St. and threw for 400 yards and 4 TDs at an 82.4% completion. In fact the only game he was never sacked was Northern Colorado and he threw 4 TDs at 72% completion, ran for another, and threw for 325 yards IN THE FIRST HALF.

Under pressure he was a star. With time he was otherworldly. Another poster described him as the "anti TVD" and I think that's a great analogy.
Sack avoidance is a skill, it's one that translates school to school and from college to the pros. He was also sacked 33 times in his full (non COVID) season at Incarnate Word. So let's not act like it was all the Wazzu offensive line. He has a part in that.

Is that all? :D
Jalen Hurts and Justin Fields lead their teams to the CFP in their first transfer season. Not sure that Cam is on their level. I've wanted to go back through all of the final regular season CFP rankings and map 1st season transfer QBs to teams who were in the top 12... but ain't got time for that. I know there were none this year and think Penix and Williams were the only ones to do it in 2023.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don’t really like the comparisons we do around here in general but Cam actually reminds me a lot of King

Not a direct comparison of size and measurables of course, but the way he leads his team, the intangibles I’ve seen, the Alpha presence he brings, the command of the game in general. It’s like a feel watching guys like it

Hes just got more physical tools than King but we’ve needed that presence back there
I hope he is at least as good as King and hopefully much better.

King kept plays, drives, and games alive. He won us games single handedly.

It’s the exact opposite of TVD. With TVD if you didn’t call exactly the right play at the exact right time for him against the defense it was game over.

Hopefully Cam brings us the juice and then some King brought us in terms of leadership, heart, and gamesmanship.

Advertisement
Back