Some passing game solutions

Advertisement
Statue of liberty incoming.

Suspicious Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

Was at the game, lower bowl. Rooster is NOT "fully healthy". At one point in the aTm game, he was noticeably limping on the sidelines. I understand he is a gamer and was going to give it his all against aTm, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sits this weekend or gets minimal touches.

Everyone acting like Rooster should have 30 touches just doesn't realize he's still not ready for that kind of workload. He's definitely still hurt (or reaggravated things last weekend).
The week before he was on a play count coming back from injury. CMC said a players health will always come first.

He’s got to use more space , motions , stacks wr’s and rub action. I believe we completed two passes against man. Which is the easiest coverage to beat if you’re worth your salt as a play caller. Space gives your guys more room to operate , all the condensed stuff doesn’t. Play to the hashes or wider.

Using motion to get mismatches with guys like Arroyo , Mallory , Knighton and Parrish. I saw no creativity Saturday and thats what’s grinding my gears.
That’s what I was surprised with. A guy who can’t motion to isolate a matchup or at the very least stack WRs and use rubs to get the drags he’s so obsessed with open is going to be an utter failure anywhere. Our WRs may suck but a few guys we have are at least above average or average p5 caliber talents. Earn that money Gattis

Advertisement
Go to 11:04 in the video.

I’ve been talking about formations , route concepts and putting your guys in space and position to win. Well heres an example of the OC doing this. He won this matchup because he knew it was man. He stacked the wr’s against man coverage, which causes hesitation by the cb’s because they aren’t sure who’ll they have until the routes start unfolding. Just that second allows the wr to get leverage on the outside cb. There’s many ways to do this , using morion is another way to get the advantage in man. This OC won by knowing the defense and running a man beater at the coverage. Southern Miss versus our d is nowhere the same as us facing A&M. We have to do better.

TVD has now stated that Gattis is going to bring back a bit of the old offense combining a little of both. Very interested to see what's in store for this weekend and going forward.

This may have been discussed in some of the long threads on this board already, but I was thinking of some solutions to aid our woeful passing game:

- Get Rooster more involved. Now that he appears to be fully healthy, there's no reason he can't be a critical factor in the passing game. He averaged 13 ypc in his first two seasons, including some explosive plays against Louisville, NC State, etc.

- I keep saying this over and over. TARGET ARROYO MORE. Mallory had a solid game (at least as a pass catcher, blocking is still lacking) against A&M, but this offense is missing explosive plays and Arroyo adds that element. He's also proven (in limited targets at least) to have sure hands.

- Get the ball out quicker. These slow developing plays just don't suit TVD's style. TVD is a rhythm guy. Get him going with some quick slants, outlet passes, wheel routes, etc. and then that should open up the downfield passing game.

- See what Horton, Brinson, and Young can provide. We have a cupcake this week, it's time to see what the guys at the end of the depth chart can give you.
Agree all around but especially with this one. TVD's best throw was the wheel to Arroyo where he didn't think, he just fired a perfect strike.

This offense is too much brains. Not enough **** and balls.

Last edited:
Advertisement
TVD has now stated that Gattis is going to bring back a bit of the old offense combining a little of both. Very interested to see what's in store for this weekend and going forward.
TVD said before the season started that he had asked Gattis to please include some of his favorite plays from last year in this new scheme. It’s mind numbing to think that Gattis waited until we looked like **** in such an important game to now listen to his QB.

Egos are a real thing, and they keep people from reaching their full potential. It wasn’t difficult to see from the first couple of games that the passing game was buns. Hopefully we see some adjustments and a smoother running offense that can score some points moving forward.

That crucial drop by Parrish should've been Rooster's play. A lot of our issues start with the wrong players on the field in certain situations. Drags and short outs to Mallory?? Drags to Redding? You need a speedster running that.
i guess gattis thinks the other guys dont know how to run a drag who knows
but your correct
they need to have the correct personal groupings without tipping off to the defense what the play is
another corching example why call plays that have a qb run option with tvd

Advertisement
Not even trying to be funny or sarcastic, but my solution is ...

Throw the ball properly to the open Receiver.
The open Receiver then catches the ball.

Jaylan Knighton: 1 catch for 6 yards
Henry Parrish: 0 catches for 0 yards
Thad Franklin: 0 catches for 0 yards

I'm sorry, if you know that your WR's are a weakness, this is absolutely unacceptable. Flat-out unacceptable.

And TVD even came out and said they expected them to play man, they showed a lot of man on film, and then played zone. So if you expected them to play man, why were you not planning to exploit your backs on their backers, who are clearly the weakest part of their defense. This cannot happen. 4, 21, and 22 are easily 3 of your best 8 skill players on offense. How can they catch 1 pass in a game when you ran 77 plays?????

This may have been discussed in some of the long threads on this board already, but I was thinking of some solutions to aid our woeful passing game:

- Get Rooster more involved. Now that he appears to be fully healthy, there's no reason he can't be a critical factor in the passing game. He averaged 13 ypc in his first two seasons, including some explosive plays against Louisville, NC State, etc.

- I keep saying this over and over. TARGET ARROYO MORE. Mallory had a solid game (at least as a pass catcher, blocking is still lacking) against A&M, but this offense is missing explosive plays and Arroyo adds that element. He's also proven (in limited targets at least) to have sure hands.

- Get the ball out quicker. These slow developing plays just don't suit TVD's style. TVD is a rhythm guy. Get him going with some quick slants, outlet passes, wheel routes, etc. and then that should open up the downfield passing game.

- See what Horton, Brinson, and Young can provide. We have a cupcake this week, it's time to see what the guys at the end of the depth chart can give you.
Lot of good points here.

Rooster should absolutely be catching the ball out of the backfield, H back or even from the slot. He's all around most dangerous b/c his dual capability.
Fully agree Arroyo should get more targets. For some reason they love that 5 yard out with Mallory, who just doesn't have the fluid hips or athletic ability like Arroyo who can turn it up-field quick. Mallory is a strait line, run the seem, deep ins, corners & posts. Skinner should also get snaps, run him out of the slot, H back even out wide. I'm surprised they dont run screens with 3 TE or TE sets, or fake screens with TE's releasing. This is how they can make up for lack of receiver depth & production.

Lastly, it seemsthey re setting up long developing passing concepts off the run rather than, a mix of run and shorter efficient routes, where DB's get comfortable and creep up, and then give shots down field. With a dominant run game, should be able to do or dictate much of what you want to do since your not in a ton of 2 & 3rd and long.

Advertisement
Lot of good points here.

Rooster should absolutely be catching the ball out of the backfield, H back or even from the slot. He's all around most dangerous b/c his dual capability.
Fully agree Arroyo should get more targets. For some reason they love that 5 yard out with Mallory, who just doesn't have the fluid hips or athletic ability like Arroyo who can turn it up-field quick. Mallory is a strait line, run the seem, deep ins, corners & posts. Skinner should also get snaps, run him out of the slot, H back even out wide. I'm surprised they dont run screens with 3 TE or TE sets, or fake screens with TE's releasing. This is how they can make up for lack of receiver depth & production.

Lastly, it seemsthey re setting up long developing passing concepts off the run rather than, a mix of run and shorter efficient routes, where DB's get comfortable and creep up, and then give shots down field. With a dominant run game, should be able to do or dictate much of what you want to do since your not in a ton of 2 & 3rd and long.
Forgot to mention - Why do we not run any play action? How many snaps has TVD taken under center?

Jaylan Knighton: 1 catch for 6 yards
Henry Parrish: 0 catches for 0 yards
Thad Franklin: 0 catches for 0 yards

I'm sorry, if you know that your WR's are a weakness, this is absolutely unacceptable. Flat-out unacceptable.

And TVD even came out and said they expected them to play man, they showed a lot of man on film, and then played zone. So if you expected them to play man, why were you not planning to exploit your backs on their backers, who are clearly the weakest part of their defense. This cannot happen. 4, 21, and 22 are easily 3 of your best 8 skill players on offense. How can they catch 1 pass in a game when you ran 77 plays?????
Well Parrish had a huge drop that may have been a Td, and was also targeted 2 other times, once on a wheel route, and once on a dump off safety valve play where Lb broke it up.

Jaylan does neeed more touches in the pass game, but as previously mentioned he is coming off injury and they may be trying to slightly limit snaps. Not sure

Advertisement
Back