Some passing game solutions

Gables Canes

Freshman
This may have been discussed in some of the long threads on this board already, but I was thinking of some solutions to aid our woeful passing game:

- Get Rooster more involved. Now that he appears to be fully healthy, there's no reason he can't be a critical factor in the passing game. He averaged 13 ypc in his first two seasons, including some explosive plays against Louisville, NC State, etc.

- I keep saying this over and over. TARGET ARROYO MORE. Mallory had a solid game (at least as a pass catcher, blocking is still lacking) against A&M, but this offense is missing explosive plays and Arroyo adds that element. He's also proven (in limited targets at least) to have sure hands.

- Get the ball out quicker. These slow developing plays just don't suit TVD's style. TVD is a rhythm guy. Get him going with some quick slants, outlet passes, wheel routes, etc. and then that should open up the downfield passing game.

- See what Horton, Brinson, and Young can provide. We have a cupcake this week, it's time to see what the guys at the end of the depth chart can give you.

Advertisement
Seems like plays that should be going to Rooster they run them with Parrish. I know Parrish is a nice back running the ball but Rooster is the player they should be trying to get out in space or create plays for.. We have no one else who can give us explosive element right now in this offense

Seems like plays that should be going to Rooster they run them with Parrish. I know Parrish is a nice back running the ball but Rooster is the player they should be trying to get out in space or create plays for.. We have no one else who can give us explosive element right now in this offense
I said this before atm. w rooster healthy, hes literally one of the few guys (maybe only healthy now) that can house one from the run or pass. hes more explosive of an athlete than Parrish and thats not a knock on Parrish.

Advertisement
you Got to use him and brashard creatively. figure out a way to get them in space and let them do their thing w their athleticism. it doesn't need to be difficult.

you Got to use him and brashard creatively. figure out a way to get them in space and let them do their thing w their athleticism. it doesn't need to be difficult.
Agreed. It looked like we were trying to use Brashard in X's exact role - making tough, physical catches in traffic. I don't think that plays to Brashard's skillset.

Rooster is seriously underutilized in the passing game. I know we can't stick him out there every time the RB is involved in the passing game, but Parrish had drop issues in the spring game and is clearly not the receiving back Rooster is, nor does he have the top end speed Rooster has.

What I would personally like to see more of in our offense is having more sets where we have Arroyo and Mallory on the field together. We can split one out sometimes, split both out others. Involve them both in the passing game more than we have so far. They can be provide some aid with our WR issues.

On top of that, I would honestly like to see us use more 2-back sets as well. Have Rooster always be one of the 2 backs and then Parrish and Thad can rotate in and out. We should be sending Rooster all over the place to see how defenses respond. Split him out, have him and the other back split in the backfield beside TVD, motion him all over the place. Read how the defense aligns based on where we have Rooster, then make our call based on that. We already do the check with me stuff, so it won't be anything new.

If teams are going to go with heavier personnel looks when we're in a 22 personnel, we can split at least one TE out as well as Rooster and now you have backers in space in disadvantageous match-ups. Rooster is going to cook a LB in coverage and I like Mallory, Arroyo, and even Skinner's odds in coverage against a backer. If the defense goes with a lighter personnel grouping, we can split one or two players out, get a light box, then use our improved OL to just pound the ball inside into light boxes.

We have struggles at WR, but they need not limit our entire offense. We have the players at TE and RB to still cause issues with pretty much any defense we face. We can force defenses to choose to go heavy to stop our rushing attack and with that we'll just use our TEs and backs in the passing game in space more to take advantage of it, or we can have defenses choose to go light and we will punish them with our much improved rushing attack.

Advertisement
Light up the short game with TE's and backs luring in the safties. This will open the mid to long range passing game.

Advertisement
How about sitting in the zone pockets instead of running routes right into the DBs? Gonna get somebody beheaded.

He’s got to use more space , motions , stacks wr’s and rub action. I believe we completed two passes against man. Which is the easiest coverage to beat if you’re worth your salt as a play caller. Space gives your guys more room to operate , all the condensed stuff doesn’t. Play to the hashes or wider.

Using motion to get mismatches with guys like Arroyo , Mallory , Knighton and Parrish. I saw no creativity Saturday and thats what’s grinding my gears.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Could it just be that Texas A&M dropped 8 into coverage most plays, gave up a ton of yards then we didn't have a good solution for the red zone.

Yes, TVD could have played better. Yes, our WR group isn't top 10. Yes, our run game stalled inside the 20. Yes, Rooster couldn't get past their LB on the wheel. Yes, Rooster and George were tripped up vs. being able to run through shoestring tackles.

Let's see what we do with George and X out for 6-8 weeks. With those two out, K Smith, B Smith, Brinson, Redding, Ladson, Young, and Horton have to perform! Yes, Gattis has to help TVD and those kids with play calling. More importantly, we don't play anyone in the next 7 games with the same level of talent as Texas A&M on D. This leaves the bigger questions: can our OL keep up the great play? can our D play like they did against Texas A&M vs better offensive teams? can our ST get back on track?

He’s got to use more space , motions , stacks wr’s and rub action. I believe we completed two passes against man. Which is the easiest coverage to beat if you’re worth your salt as a play caller. Space gives your guys more room to operate , all the condensed stuff doesn’t. Play to the hashes or wider.

Using motion to get mismatches with guys like Arroyo , Mallory , Knighton and Parrish. I saw no creativity Saturday and thats what’s grinder my gears.
The weekly flea flicker wasn't good enough?

This may have been discussed in some of the long threads on this board already, but I was thinking of some solutions to aid our woeful passing game:

- Get Rooster more involved. Now that he appears to be fully healthy, there's no reason he can't be a critical factor in the passing game. He averaged 13 ypc in his first two seasons, including some explosive plays against Louisville, NC State, etc.

- I keep saying this over and over. TARGET ARROYO MORE. Mallory had a solid game (at least as a pass catcher, blocking is still lacking) against A&M, but this offense is missing explosive plays and Arroyo adds that element. He's also proven (in limited targets at least) to have sure hands.

- Get the ball out quicker. These slow developing plays just don't suit TVD's style. TVD is a rhythm guy. Get him going with some quick slants, outlet passes, wheel routes, etc. and then that should open up the downfield passing game.

- See what Horton, Brinson, and Young can provide. We have a cupcake this week, it's time to see what the guys at the end of the depth chart can give you.

Was at the game, lower bowl. Rooster is NOT "fully healthy". At one point in the aTm game, he was noticeably limping on the sidelines. I understand he is a gamer and was going to give it his all against aTm, but I wouldn't be surprised if he sits this weekend or gets minimal touches.

Everyone acting like Rooster should have 30 touches just doesn't realize he's still not ready for that kind of workload. He's definitely still hurt (or reaggravated things last weekend).

Advertisement
Back