Some passing game solutions

All these suggestions for the passing game sound great, but none of them work if tvd continues to stare down receivers and tip off the defense as to where the ball is going.
I think part of the reason he's doing that is this offense doesn't suit his style. TVD is a gunslinger. These slow developing plays aren't a fit for him.

Advertisement
This may have been discussed in some of the long threads on this board already, but I was thinking of some solutions to aid our woeful passing game:

- Get Rooster more involved. Now that he appears to be fully healthy, there's no reason he can't be a critical factor in the passing game. He averaged 13 ypc in his first two seasons, including some explosive plays against Louisville, NC State, etc.

- I keep saying this over and over. TARGET ARROYO MORE. Mallory had a solid game (at least as a pass catcher, blocking is still lacking) against A&M, but this offense is missing explosive plays and Arroyo adds that element. He's also proven (in limited targets at least) to have sure hands.

- Get the ball out quicker. These slow developing plays just don't suit TVD's style. TVD is a rhythm guy. Get him going with some quick slants, outlet passes, wheel routes, etc. and then that should open up the downfield passing game.

- See what Horton, Brinson, and Young can provide. We have a cupcake this week, it's time to see what the guys at the end of the depth chart can give you.
Agree also get Skinner in there

I think part of the reason he's doing that is this offense doesn't suit his style. TVD is a gunslinger. These slow developing plays aren't a fit for him.
Naw I wouldn't call him a gunslinger. He rarely ever takes chances with the ball. He needs to give our wideouts more opportunities to catch some 50/50 balls. The only quick fix i see is RPO with slants and vertical routes to the TE.

How about sitting in the zone pockets instead of running routes right into the DBs? Gonna get somebody beheaded.
This here was so obvious watching the game what made it worst is our plays are slow developing as **** plus the lack of separation from our Wr made the A&M depleted defensive backfields job much easier.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back