Some of you need to stick to your day jobs

Don't agree if that's the case we should've lost last night! (If last year affects this year) mentally we're a stronger team because we believe in our qb and king is a leader. That alone will give us an extra 2 or 3 wins!
King was the sole reason we won last night. If we started Perry, we 100% would have lost that game. King avoided about 6 sacks with his legs alone

Advertisement
In a "normal" season we would have had spring ball, a real summer ball , and probably one or two games prior to this that would have helped iron out some of the rust.

I think Lashlee did just enough on the offense to win the game fairly handily - Seemed like alot of the offensive guys got on the field either as special teamers or during regular possessions. He did seem to step up the playcalling in the 3rd Q and then it went back to vanilla for the 4th.

I think we'll see the offense take a step up next week. I REALLY hope to see more of Will Mallory, Payton, Restrepo, Redding and Keyshawn Smith.
Get Pope off the punt returns. We need someone who has better vision on making a return.

Board pre-season: "We will beat Clemson and are going 11-0!" "Bring on Bama!"

First game typical Canes mediocre performance: same people ...."We need to manage expectations, this team had bama in their name, must be good."

Advertisement
Never thought I would see the day where someone cites an Group of 5 team‘s rush defense ranking, claiming they were “good,” for an argument without context of their weak conference and their games against power 5 teams. They were curb stomped by the best team in their weak conference, FAU, who ran for 286 rushing yards, and then Tennessee, an SEC bottom feeder, ran for over 120 yards.
huh? I felt the beginning of your post you were attacking his argument and the end of your post you supported it? You say FAU ran for 286 well we ran for over 330. Tennessee ran for 120, we almost tripled that, Tenn won 30-7, we won 31-14 and basically mailed it in with 8 min left in the 4th quarter. I'd say it was a curb stomp and route shortly after Cam's long TD run. Were my expectations high and not met? Yes. but your argument kind of collapsed on itself.

The way the offense came out was very disappointing to me. Right off the bat, I expected them to come out a score three straight touchdowns in the first quarter. But they only were able to score 14 in the first half. The offense, expecally o-line and wrs, looked lackadaisical and were not motivated. They scored over half of their points when UAB was tired late in the game.
And without you, we wouldn't be +1 in trolls.

Advertisement
it really sucks because there are some starters on this team who are certified ballers. ie quincy harley king brevin

and theres starters that are glaringly below average & severely lack something in their game. Ivey, Pope, some o-linemen, Carter IMO.

some of the recruiting misses really really suck because i honestly think were closer than we've ever been to that next plateau as a program with king at QB.

we had one walk-on ragrone in the rotation at LB, and Few in the rotation at WR. legit schools dont have that problem.

hate to be negative but im guessing another average year for the canes, lets hope king wants to stay the extra year.

it really sucks because there are some starters on this team who are certified ballers. ie quincy harley king brevin

and theres starters that are glaringly below average & severely lack something in their game. Ivey, Pope, some o-linemen, Carter IMO.

some of the recruiting misses really really suck because i honestly think were closer than we've ever been to that next plateau as a program with king at QB.

we had one walk-on ragrone in the rotation at LB, and Few in the rotation at WR. legit schools dont have that problem.

hate to be negative but im guessing another average year for the canes, lets hope king wants to stay the extra year.
Clemson didn't seem to have a problem with FWO Hunter Renfrow catching a TD pass that won a natty.

And without you, we wouldn't be +1 in trolls.
How does this make me a troll. If you think my comment was bad, go look at the people complaining in the game day discussion. People were already calling for Mannys head and comparing Lashlee to Enos. I was just disappointed we didn't come out stronger on offence. Thats all lol

Advertisement
Never thought I would see the day where someone cites an Group of 5 team‘s rush defense ranking, claiming they were “good,” for an argument without context of their weak conference and their games against power 5 teams. They were curb stomped by the best team in their weak conference, FAU, who ran for 286 rushing yards, and then Tennessee, an SEC bottom feeder, ran for over 120 yards.
Citing that Tenn "ran for over 120 yards" doesn't support your argument. It is good support for saying UAB has a goood run defense.

The way the offense came out was very disappointing to me. Right off the bat, I expected them to come out a score three straight touchdowns in the first quarter. But they only were able to score 14 in the first half. The offense, expecally o-line and wrs, looked lackadaisical and were not motivated. They scored over half of their points when UAB was tired late in the game.
This is exactly what OP is talking about. You set your own unrealistic expectations and then got upset when they weren't met. You didn't think a team who had one of the worst offenses in FBS last year who installed an entirely new offense and had no spring and limited fall practices might be a little rusty and have a few hiccups in the very first quarter of the very first game? The funny thing is, everyone here who knows what they're talking about predicted exactly what happened. Read any of the prediction threads. While some people were ranting about winning 60-0 most of the people in the know were predicting the offense to stumble a little at first but pull away later in the game. Which is pretty much what happened.

Also, scoring points because the other team is tired is exactly what a no huddle offense is supposed to do.

This is exactly what OP is talking about. You set your own unrealistic expectations and then got upset when they weren't met. You didn't think a team who had one of the worst offenses in FBS last year who installed an entirely new offense and had no spring and limited fall practices might be a little rusty and have a few hiccups in the very first quarter of the very first game? The funny thing is, everyone here who knows what they're talking about predicted exactly what happened. Read any of the prediction threads. While some people were ranting about winning 60-0 most of the people in the know were predicting the offense to stumble a little at first but pull away later in the game. Which is pretty much what happened.

Also, scoring points because the other team is tired is exactly what a no huddle offense is supposed to do.
Sorry If i beleived the hype of Lashlee/king and I expected our offense to be jacked up to play in a new system and would score a lot of points against a team that let up 35 to central Ark. I am not he only one who had high expectations. You should look at the comment section in the gameday discussion. People already compared Lashlee to Enos and was calling for his head

Advertisement
In a "normal" season we would have had spring ball, a real summer ball , and probably one or two games prior to this that would have helped iron out some of the rust.

I think Lashlee did just enough on the offense to win the game fairly handily - Seemed like alot of the offensive guys got on the field either as special teamers or during regular possessions. He did seem to step up the playcalling in the 3rd Q and then it went back to vanilla for the 4th.

I think we'll see the offense take a step up next week. I REALLY hope to see more of Will Mallory, Payton, Restrepo, Redding and Keyshawn Smith.
Get Pope off the punt returns. We need someone who has better vision on making a return.
I’d love to see Knighton practice for punt return duties.

It's fairly obvious going through posts from last night/this morning that aside from some of more knowledgable posters (LuCane, Roman, D$, etc.) that the majority of you need to get a grip when it comes to managing expectations.

We lost to FIU, Duke, GT and La Tech less than a year ago and some of you were just expecting us to come in and treat UAB like they were Bethune Cookman. The team we played last night has won 20 games the past two seasons, was 9th in total D a year ago and allowed 107 yards on the ground (3.2 per carry). With an O-Line that couldn't get push against anyone, we ran for well over 300 yards last night. That's a really good defensive team we played and we still managed to impose our will despite being extremely intentional with our gameplan.

Still have questions at a lot of spots, especially on defense, but I think many of you need to recalibrate your expectations in light of the the disaster that was last season.
Aye! This!

Pups don't recall that even with our best NC teams - we were FAR from dominating lesser teams every time we played - and we came from behind in so many second halfs - it was so damned frustrating.

UAB - those boys were tough, mature, hungry, and skilled.

I actually feel much better about our upcoming season after this game.

We'll make some adjustments - we'll finesse some of our shortcomings - and we have a football team!

Advertisement
Back