Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have concerns on both. I rather have an experience playcaller and Mason is my plan A too

I don’t care about experience, tbh I think it’s a tad bit overrated. It matters but to a degree.

I want smart football people , those types always shoot up the coaching ranks fast. And it’s for a reason. It’s like anything else in the world, why should super smart / talented people be punished or held back because they lack experience? Kellen Moore is the perfect example, by people’s logic here he should just be getting an on field job. Since he had “ no experience”. Anyone that spent time with him knew he was just on a whole different level when it came to football iq. Smart football people felt dumb after talking to him.

I know Mario wants recruiters and that’s his deal but the coordinators on this staff need to be smart smart X/ O guys. There’ll also be a lot of smart people in analyst roles.

This staff will have a lot more off field people versus the previous staffs. That’s one area people forget about when they want to know where all this extra staff money is going.

Advertisement
It’s weird people are cool with this possible hire but freak out on Ken.

Tbh I’m ok with both because I hear the same takes on each guy, Players at Uga think very highly of Schuman, super smart football guy and he was actually considered the smarter coach out of him and Lanning. He’s the kind of coach that’s always finding tells by the offense. Super smart football nerds rarely fail. Mason is my plan A though, if I could have any realistic dc in cfb he would’ve been my choice.
It’s beyond hypocritical. Fan boy over a dude who ain’t done nothing for the U, never called a play and hate the legend who’s getting it out the mud in the NFL lol

It reminds me of the Dave Chappelle Rick James episode. “What do I look like going over Eddie Murphy’s house and stomping out his couch……. Yeah I remember stomping out Eddie’s couch.” Lmao

Make it make sense!

I "hate" Ken Dorsey now? Not only that ...mans asked me for an opinion on a potential coach and I shared my thoughts and now I'm a "fanboy". Bet.

I love CIS.
I appreciate your opinion. I was **** ready to run through a wall for Schumann after reading that. Lol. I’ve thought maybe Mason over Schumann for playcalling experience just like Briles over Dorsey but I’d probably be fine with all. I was trying to understand if you’d be fine with Schumann without the play calling experience when you aren't fine with Dorsey the same way but you answered it. You think Schu is a generational DC talent IMO.

Have you been in Schumann’s clinics or something?

Advertisement
Would you want Shane Waldron or Tim Kelly as our OC?
I admittedly don’t know who they are, and I lean on you, Cribby and a few others who have the broad knowledge of all that stuff. I normally don’t venture away from the canes. My comment you quoted was after quite a bit of “Christmas cheer”, and now, looking back at it and previous posts, I really have no idea why I wrote it…(seemed more being a smart *** ref Ken’s lack of experience vs the experienced lash) lol. In reality I would assume a large percent of us on here don’t know more than the big names. I do trust Mario and expect him to bring in the best guy for the job, but then again, I’ll look to you guys for confirmation and breakdown on his hire.

Last edited:

Tbh I’m ok with both because I hear the same takes on each guy, Players at Uga think very highly of Schuman, super smart football guy and he was actually considered the smarter coach out of him and Lanning. He’s the kind of coach that’s always finding tells by the offense. Super smart football nerds rarely fail. Mason is my plan A though, if I could have any realistic dc in cfb he would’ve been my choice.
I've been of the opinion that Mario needs to get experienced people for both positions. But after you posted this I realize the opposition to Schumann isn't there like it is for Dorsey.

I don’t care about experience, tbh I think it’s a tad bit overrated. It matters but to a degree.

I want smart football people , those types always shoot up the coaching ranks fast. And it’s for a reason. It’s like anything else in the world, why should super smart / talented people be punished or held back because they lack experience? Kellen Moore is the perfect example, by people’s logic here he should just be getting an on field job. Since he had “ no experience”. Anyone that spent time with him knew he was just on a whole different level when it came to football iq. Smart football people felt dumb after talking to him.

I know Mario wants recruiters and that’s his deal but the coordinators on this staff need to be smart smart X/ O guys. There’ll also be a lot of smart people in analyst roles.

This staff will have a lot more off field people versus the previous staffs. That’s one area people forget about when they want to know where all this extra staff money is going.
The other thing I would add regarding experience is if you’re going to go with a first time playcaller I think it’s a lot less risky to do it with a DC.

The game is different these days. You’re more likely to run into a shootout then you are a slogfest. The best defenses still have games where they melt like butter. Georgia had as dominant a defense you can have in college football and still gave up 500+ yards and 41 points to Bama.

But Schumann gives you elite upside. And IMO that’s worth the risk. Year 1 may be a little rough (we lack a ton of pieces on defense) but an experienced OC like Briles can help mask some of the defensive inefficiencies. Year 2 and 3 you stacked chips, players learned the system, and player development could have Schumann trotting out a ridiculous defense.

Is experience more important than system and football smarts? Or does it depend on the individual? Is it fair to say MR, Dorito, and Dan **** failed because of the systems? Was their play calling driven by the systems?

Advertisement
If we want him, this is our only chance. If he becomes a NFL OC and is good enough for you to be satisfied, there is no way he is coming here.
How is THIS our only chance? When has Dorsey EVER indicated any interest whatsoever in returning to college coaching? He is the heir apparent to the Bills OC position .. and has already turned down TWO OC offers in the NFL. No way he comes to UM period.

luke getsy would be an absolute home run hire as oc. if we can’t get him mike kafka should get the next call.

Advertisement
The other thing I would add regarding experience is if you’re going to go with a first time playcaller I think it’s a lot less risky to do it with a DC.

The game is different these days. You’re more likely to run into a shootout then you are a slogfest. The best defenses still have games where they melt like butter. Georgia had as dominant a defense you can have in college football and still gave up 500+ yards and 41 points to Bama.

But Schumann gives you elite upside. And IMO that’s worth the risk. Year 1 may be a little rough (we lack a ton of pieces on defense) but an experienced OC like Briles can help mask some of the defensive inefficiencies. Year 2 and 3 you stacked chips, players learned the system, and player development could have Schumann trotting out a ridiculous defense.
Good points

Word on the UGA board is Schuman is going to be calling the plays in their playoff game..

I’m taking @Brooklyndee’s advice and chilling.

I would just say that @htownkidd’s argument is the best one. We want to be a playoff team ASAP, and the best chance at doing that is to take proven coordinators.

Dorsey may go on to become the greatest OC mind ever. But the risk of him failing or more likely taking a few seasons to figure it out is high, certainly higher than a proven OC. It’s all about winning NOW for me.

Advertisement

The prospect of having two green coordinators scares me, notwithstanding their potential.

But Lashlee was already a top paid coordinator and everybody is saying Diaz had the funding available for a top DC, he chose not to use it though

Diaz repeatedly bypassed the opportunity to hire better coaches, from Day 1 until he was fired. And it wasn't just limited to coordinators.

I would rather have a proven good coordinator both sides of the ball. I will trust Mario's decision though. Not being there before is what I have against hiring Schuman or Dorsey. We supposedly have the money so go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back