Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just because a guy is an NFL OC, he should be our OC? What if he is a sh*tty NFL OC? Should we get Brian Schottenheimer? Should we get Matt Canada? If all it takes is for them to be an NFL guy, there are plenty of terrible former NFL OC's who are out of a job who would love to come here.

How about we let Dorsey actually become an OC first? And then we let him perform and see how he does? How does that sound?
If we want him, this is our only chance. If he becomes a NFL OC and is good enough for you to be satisfied, there is no way he is coming here.

Advertisement
If we want him, this is our only chance. If he becomes a NFL OC and is good enough for you to be satisfied, there is no way he is coming here.

Ok, well so what? Lol. There are hundreds of other guys out there. Just because we may not be able to get him in 3 years means WE HAVE TO TAKE THAT RISK RIGHT NOW?

Last edited:
Someone has to give the guy his first OC position. I do believe a few NFL QB Coaches went right to NFL OC.

I'm sure he will get a shot, I just don't want it to be us. Why? Because it's a risk, and we can't afford that right now.

Shane Day is the PGC/QB Coach for the Chargers. Chargers have a top 10 passing offense and obviously a young superstar in Herbert that he is helping develop. He also was the QB coach for the 49ers when they went to the SB a few years ago and Jimmy G had the best year of his career BY FAR. He is an whiz kid who has yet to get his shot as a sole OC, but I am sure he will. I don't want him either. There are several more examples of guys who fall in that category, I don't want any of them. Why? Because they are all risks. And please miss me with the comparisons of Day to Dorsey as far as accolades and past accomplishments and what he did/didn't do as a college player because that's not my point ...

(not you specifically but someone will definitely respond with "WeLl DaY dIdN'T wIn At tHe U brO!!!!" that after seeing this)

Let the man go be an OC first. I hope he does and I hope he absolutely kills it. But what if he doesn't? Just because he is likely to get a shot, and IF he does well then yeah, we probably won't be able to touch him down the line but that's just something we have to live with. That isn't a good enough reason for us to risk taking that chance right now. I don't understand why that is so hard for some to grasp? I mean it sounds like a pretty objective and logical way of thinking or maybe I'm just trippin'? We should just say to **** with it, even though he will eventually get his shot and we have ZERO idea if he will do well or not, we should just take him, fvck it?

Advertisement
So just because a guy is an NFL OC, he should be our OC? What if he is a sh*tty NFL OC? Should we get Brian Schottenheimer? Should we get Matt Canada? If all it takes is for them to be an NFL guy, there are plenty of terrible former NFL OC's who are out of a job who would love to come here.

How about we let Dorsey actually become an OC first? And then we let him perform and see how he does? How does that sound?

By your logic no qb coach or position coach in the nfl would ever be a coordinator. Since they’ve never called plays lol. Like I said earlier , I doubt Ken would step down to the college level , especially where his career is trending. He’ll be a oc very soon. His relationship with Mario and it being UM might make it intriguing. I know Mario thinks very highly of him as a coach. I still have doubts though.

That being said…. two of the smartest qb’s in my lifetime are Ken Dorsey and Kellen Moore. Both were film and X/O nerds. Almost to a unhealthy level , that’s from former coaches and teammates. They were **** near running the offenses in college.

Everyone knew they’d be coaches and great teachers. Ironically Moore went from playing, qb coach , to oc in like four years lol. No experience calling plays and only a couple years of any coaching experience. Now he’s considered one of the best oc’s in the league.

There’s a bunch of coaches in the nfl that went from position coaches to head coaches without ever calling plays. Harbaugh was a freaking st’s coach. Andy Reid was mostly a o line coach his entire career and then qb coach before going to coach Eagles. He’s now considered one of the best offensive minded coaches ever, but never called a play before being a HC. So stepping from a qb coach in the nfl to a college oc isn’t exactly earth shattering stuff. Even though some here thinks it’s mind boggling.

One last time before it ends on the East coast…

6DE5BE69-7BB8-467E-8370-1DAF769455D6.gif

By your logic no qb coach or position coach in the nfl would ever be a coordinator. Since they’ve never called plays lol. Like I said earlier , I doubt Ken would step down to the college level , especially where his career is trending. He’ll be a oc very soon.

Two of the smartest qb’s in my lifetime are Ken Dorsey and Kellen Moore. Both were film and X/O nerds. Almost to a unhealthy level , that’s from former coaches and teammates. They were **** near running the offenses in college.

Everyone knew they’d be coaches and great teachers. Ironically Moore went from playing, qb coach , to oc in like four years lol. No experience calling plays and only a couple years of any coaching experience. Now he’s considered one of the best oc’s in the league.

There’s a bunch of coaches in the nfl that went from position coaches to head coaches without ever calling plays. Harbaugh was a freaking st’s coach. Andy Reid was mostly a o line coach his entire career and then qb coach before going to coach Eagles. He’s now considered one of the best offensive minded coaches ever, but never called a play before being a HC. So stepping from a qb coach in the nfl to a college oc isn’t exactly earth shattering stuff. Even though some here thinks it’s mind boggling.

Nah, I've said in this thread multiple times that Dorsey will get his shot. I KNOW that he will, just like several others have and will continue to. I've also stated multiple times on this board specifically why I don't want him. I just don't want US taking that risk. Is it selfish? Maybe. Stupid? Call it what ya'll want, lol. I just want someone who has done it and done it well man, simple as that. I'm aware he is smart and I'm aware Moore took a similar route and several others and they did well. Well kudos to them and that NFL organization that took that chance on them with those NFL players that helped them along the way.

But there are also others who were considered just as smart as him who didn't do so well. I get it, some are willing to take that risk with him, understood. I keep telling myself I am going to stop putting myself in this discussion because people aren't budging but then I keep seeing people say, "I mean he is going to be an NFL OC anyway, but that's not good enough for us?" and it absolutely makes my skin crawl. Because so what? I agree, for the 3534059th time, he will be an NFL OC one day, but let him do it first is all I'm saying lol. Several guys have been "good enough for the NFL to hire", and been terrible. IMO, just because he will eventually be an NFL OC, doesn't mean we should just fold and give him the reigns. Nothing wrong with letting the man prove himself as a play caller first especially considering what we have on offense and being in no position to slow that down.

And again, because I have mentioned this before as well...

At the end of the day if you just have extreme faith over everything that he will get it done, then man just say that..because I haven't been quiet at all about my faith in Schumann for several reasons and he has no play calling experience as well. It's just the reasons some posters are using to push Dorsey kills me, lol.

Also, and I will DIE ON THIS HILL AND TAKE IT TO MY GRAVE (idk if that made sense but you get my point lol) 99% won't agree, but if he wasn't UM alum, not a SOUL on this board would be going as hard as they do for him to be an OC. And honestly, that's okay too..just be honest about it.

.02...I promise I'm done with the Dorsey debate now. Make no mistake about it...if he is the guy then I will root for him to thrive and take us to levels we never thought of. We will see soon enough.

Advertisement
I wouldn’t be shocked if Justice stays around in some kind of off field role at the very least. I know he loves it in south Florida and doesn’t want to leave. Supposedly him and Likens both wanted to wait and see if they could land a spot with the new staff , that’s why they didn’t go with Lashlee. Maybe Likens eventually leaves because as of today I don’t see a role on field with the names out there. Unless he takes an off field role too.

The bump in staff pay could make it at least intriguing to hang around in that role, and just waiting on a future on field role to come open.

Just something to watch.

Justice got hired by SMU back on 12/10 & Likens is supposedly going to be the WR’s coach for SMU after the Bowl game as well according to some reports.

Nah, I've said in this thread multiple times that Dorsey will get his shot. I KNOW that he will, just like several others have and will continue to. I've also stated multiple times on this board specifically why I don't want him. I just don't want US taking that risk. Is it selfish? Maybe. Stupid? Call it what ya'll want, lol. I just want someone who has done it and done it well man, simple as that. I'm aware he is smart and I'm aware Moore took a similar route and several others and they did well. Well kudos to them and that NFL organization that took that chance on them with those NFL players that helped them along the way.

But there are also others who were considered just as smart as him who didn't do so well. I get it, some are willing to take that risk with him, understood. I keep telling myself I am going to stop putting myself in this discussion because people aren't budging but then I keep seeing people say, "I mean he is going to be an NFL OC anyway, but that's not good enough for us?" and it absolutely makes my skin crawl. Because so what? I agree, for the 3534059th time, he will be an NFL OC one day, but let him do it first is all I'm saying lol. Several guys have been "good enough for the NFL to hire", and been terrible. IMO, just because he will eventually be an NFL OC, doesn't mean we should just fold and give him the reigns. Nothing wrong with letting the man prove himself as a play caller first especially considering what we have on offense and being in no position to slow that down.

And again, because I have mentioned this before as well...

At the end of the day if you just have extreme faith over everything that he will get it done, then man just say that..because I haven't been quiet at all about my faith in Schumann for several reasons and he has no play calling experience as well. It's just the reasons some posters are using to push Dorsey kills me, lol.

Also, and I will DIE ON THIS HILL AND TAKE IT TO MY GRAVE (idk if that made sense but you get my point lol) 99% won't agree, but if he wasn't UM alum, not a SOUL on this board would be going as hard as they do for him to be an OC. And honestly, that's okay too..just be honest about it.

.02...I promise I'm done with the Dorsey debate now. Make no mistake about it...if he is the guy then I will root for him to thrive and take us to levels we never thought of. We will see soon enough.
where do you stand on Schumann?

I wouldn’t be shocked if Justice stays around in some kind of off field role at the very least. I know he loves it in south Florida and doesn’t want to leave. Supposedly him and Likens both wanted to wait and see if they could land a spot with the new staff , that’s why they didn’t go with Lashlee. Maybe Likens eventually leaves because as of today I don’t see a role on field with the names out there. Unless he takes an off field role too.

The bump in staff pay could make it at least intriguing to hang around in that role, and just waiting on a future on field role to come open.

Just something to watch.

TrumpyCane wants to let you know Justice is the SMU O-Line coach

Justice got hired by SMU back on 12/10 & Likens is supposedly going to be the WR’s coach for SMU after the Bowl game as well according to some reports.

Ok.

That makes sense because I knew they wasn’t getting on
field roles here. But I was told Garin was contemplating staying because he loved it here so much, even if it was an off field role. I was told that right after Lashlee was hired.

Advertisement
TrumpyCane wants to let you know Justice is the SMU O-Line coach

I completely missed that tweet and news on Garin. I know Rhett was hired in late Nov but Garins name was missing, I asked why and was told him and likens was waiting around because they wanted to see if they could catch on with the new staff. Garin loved it in South Florida. I’m a little behind on a lot of things the last few weeks.

Ok.

That makes sense because I knew they wasn’t getting on
field roles here. But I was told Garin was contemplating staying because he loved it here so much, even if it was an off field role. I was told that right after Lashlee was hired.
I’m sure he probably did wanna stay.

I would imagine we would have to give him a pretty hefty pay raise to turn down being an on field position coach to stay as an off field analyst, especially a guy as young as him.

Advertisement
By your logic no qb coach or position coach in the nfl would ever be a coordinator. Since they’ve never called plays lol. Like I said earlier , I doubt Ken would step down to the college level , especially where his career is trending. He’ll be a oc very soon. His relationship with Mario and it being UM might make it intriguing. I know Mario thinks very highly of him as a coach. I still have doubts though.

That being said…. two of the smartest qb’s in my lifetime are Ken Dorsey and Kellen Moore. Both were film and X/O nerds. Almost to a unhealthy level , that’s from former coaches and teammates. They were **** near running the offenses in college.

There’s a bunch of coaches in the nfl that went from position coaches to head coaches without ever calling plays. Harbaugh was a freaking st’s coach. Andy Reid was mostly a o line coach his entire career and then qb coach before going to coach Eagles.

Fair points all around. But I think it is easier to go from positional coach to HC in the NFL then to do same job in college for the main reason being that in the NFL you have unlimited number of assistant coaches you can hire to staff, to supplement whatever you're lacking as a rookie HC.

where do you stand on Schumann?
It’s weird people are cool with this possible hire but freak out on Ken.

Tbh I’m ok with both because I hear the same takes on each guy, Players at Uga think very highly of Schuman, super smart football guy and he was actually considered the smarter coach out of him and Lanning. He’s the kind of coach that’s always finding tells by the offense. Super smart football nerds rarely fail. Mason is my plan A though, if I could have any realistic dc in cfb he would’ve been my choice.

A freaking men

It’s weird people are cool with this possible hire but freak out on Ken.

Tbh I’m ok with both because I hear the same takes on each guy, Players at Uga think very highly of Schuman, super smart football guy and he was actually considered the smarter coach out of him and Lanning. He’s the kind of coach that’s always finding tells by the offense. Super smart football nerds rarely fail. Mason is my plan A though, if I could have any realistic dc in cfb he would’ve been my choice.

I have concerns on both. I rather have an experience playcaller and Mason is my plan A too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back