Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
We will have another 10 - 15 pages about Wrestling and no news / rumors about the coordinator search and you will like it!
1642077114280.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back in that day, late 70s, my mother worked for a small accounting firm that handled a lot of the pro wrestler’s money. She was able to get me a lot of autographs, almost everyone touring NWA territory through Tampa. Interestingly, she told me the nicest wrestler when she requested an autograph was Superstar Billy Graham, and the least nice was Dusty Rhodes. He signed, but wasn’t interested in being bothered. Wish I still had that autograph book.

I used to buy the Pro Wrestling mags of the day, so I knew who the AWA and WWWF stars were, when they made a rare appearance. Bruno Sammartino did a local house show once, I think. Nick Bockwinkle, longtime AWA champion, did as well. I’m sure Andre The Giant did, wish I had seen him.

As I think back, I remember sitting front row at a Bayfront Center show where Dusty beat Harley Race for the NWA World Title, only to have the win taken away by the “NWA Commissioner” on the next TV tapping.

I haven’t paid attention to the WWE in a long time. I did watch the old RAW shows during the Attitude Era when The Rock was mentioned as a former Cane. But as those performers aged the content was watered down, and there was too much visibility into the wrestler’s real lives through social media. The PG Era became a parody about putting on a pro wrestling show, if you get my meaning. Never watched any WCW.
I went to as many matches as I could when Dusty was wrestling for the strap. I saw him wrestle Race, Funk over and over and I never saw him win. I heard about him winning the title for the first time ever in Tampa and they say the place went bonkers. Fans storming the ring kind of bonkers.

I saw Bruno Sammartino come through MB. I also saw Bockwinkle but I'd have say one of my childhood highlights wrestling highlights was getting to see Andre the Giant come to town and wrestle. Me and my buddies were on the rail when he entered the ring. He was as big as King King to us. We talked about that night for a while.

I stopped following wrestling when the WWWF became the WWF and then WWE. I lost interest with Hogan and the whole sports entertainment Era. I did enjoy the Rock and some of the Attitude Era guys. But it just wasn't the same for me.

Then I heard about the ECW shows and that was a whole new ballgame. It wasn't really about storylines like old school wrestling. It was all about being an extreme bad *** and who could out do each other. That was a fun run. I caught a few shows and they were awesome.

For me, wrestling provided incredible childhood memories. It was an escape twice a week for this little kid and I honestly loved it. I even started cutting grass and selling coconuts in order to earn enough money for the bus ride to the MBCC, a ticket to get in and enough scratch to buy some photos from the guys that were taking pictures at each event. Good times for sure!

Advertisement
Can someone get @Cribby to drop some new staff news and stop posting about wrestling or Eric the midget……
I literally posted about dvd yesterday , Kevin Smith a week and a half ago, all the Oregon coaches weeks before they were announced. I think I’ve done my part, now we will get back to wrasslin until there’s another update brother. Now what you gonna do when cribbymania runs wild on you?

Ps…..Say you prayers and eat your vitamins.

1988, I was 12 lived a pretty sheltered life up in Hollyweird...for my dads 40th birthday. We and another family went to Miami to I believe was the James L. Knight center for wrestling, I clearly remember Andre the Giant...and afterwards we went to a hole in the wall Cuban place on Calle Ocho for some of the best food we have ever eaten...as our friends father was doing some construction in the area.

Advertisement
I literally posted about dvd yesterday , Kevin Smith a week and a half ago, all the Oregon coaches weeks before they were announced. I think I’ve done my part, now we will get back to wrasslin until there’s another update brother. Now what you gonna do when cribbymania runs wild on you?

Ps…..Say you prayers and eat your vitamins.
A friend of mine ran into Dusty Rhodes in Tampa at a convenience store when he was a kid. He said they recognized him and said hi as he was getting in his car. He said hi and told them to stay in school.

The irony of reading @insaneinthecane's story followed by your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back