Some names to watch before it’s deleted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough. Do we know there isn't interest though? Make him tell you no. My point is those shouldn't be your first options
Totally agree. You make the call and make him say no. Just saying I'm skeptical that he makes a move like that.

Advertisement
I understand the skepticism but how do you account for the fact that LSUs offense sucked in 2018, was historic in 2019 when Brady was there for 1 year, and then sucked again in 2020 after he left?
He was the passing game coordinator and WR coach. Steve Endmenger was the OC and QB coach.
My understanding is that Ensminger called the plays. I don't know what Brady did for the offense, but he didn't call plays until he got the Carolina Panthers job. And got fired mid season for not being a good play caller.

I found this article where Ensminger explains his gameday play calling and relationship with Joe Brady. Ensminger give much credit to Joe Burrows as being so smart and making everyone look good. According to Ensminger, Brady worked with.Burrows during the game asking him what he saw and relying it to Ensminger so he could set up the plays for the next series. Ensminger was definitely the play caller, but he does give credit for Joe Brady calling the plays down around the goalline 12 yar yards and in.
I think Brady gets and should get credit for bringing in an innovative high scoring passing game that took advantage of the skills of Joe Burrows. I'm perfectly fine with him doing that here for TVD. I just don't want him calling the plays. Calling plays is an artwork. Some guys are much better than others. Brady may have learn from Sean Peyton, but he doesn't have the skills that Peyton does at calling plays.

Last edited:
I think he wasn't most people's (including mine) first choice, but with knowles off the board and no other "easy" choices that are connected to us, we see the value in Schuman being personally groomed by kirby smart for the last several years as well as the bama pedigree

we just got a HC that re-established his career under saban. Getting an up and coming DC from the same pedigree I think would help us a lot
So you are ok with him as DC with his background as a co-DC despite Lanning calling the plays but have spent the last couple of days arguing that we should not hire Joe Brady because we should have someone more established and with a proven track record, despite the fact that he called some plays at LSU and at Carolina? Do I have that right?

He was the passing game coordinator and WR coach. Steve Endmenger was the OC and QB coach.
My understanding is that Ensminger called the plays. I don't know what Brady did for the offense, but he didn't call plays until he got the Carolina Panthers job.

I think Brady gets and should get credit for bringing in an innovative high scoring passing game that took advantage of the skills of Joe Burrows. I'm perfectly fine with him doing that here for TVD. I just don't want him calling the plays. Calling plays is an artwork. Some guys are much better than others. Brady may have learn from Sean Peyton, but he doesn't have the skills that Peyton does at calling plays.
Ens called 1st & 2nd downs. Brady called 3rd downs and red zone plays. Go look at LSU offense in 2018 & 2020 without Bradys involvement, the contrast is stark.

Advertisement
Does clint still have the recruiting gas in the tank?? Is my only question. He’s been wrking with grown men for 7years. Is 7yrs older. Obviously isnt tapped in to the recruits currently. We need to build our trenches, does he have it in him to bring in the 4/5star monsters we need?

I’ve tried to not be overly negative about most of the names that have been mentioned over the last few days for the next staff, which is why I really haven’t answered in depth when most of yall ask me about most coaches...

But Frank Ponce & James Coley is some bullsh*t & idc who gets mad at me for that.

Not being critical of Mario so put the knife down, but I’m sorry we can do so much better if money isn’t an issue.

Coley is a good recruiter & that’s it, if he’s being brought in as TE’s coach then that works because he’s a recruiter, but if he’s being trusted to have anything to do with TVD, just no, absolutely not. That’s getting a little too close to Pro style Bro & we need to move as far away from that sh*t as we can.

And Frank Ponce is as unqualified as anybody to have anything to do with this offense, aside from his connection to Mario from the FIU days, there literally isn’t a single reason why he should be here, not one.

And yes I’m aware that none of this is final nor have any of them officially been hired & I’m not even saying they will be, but IF they are, that’s just some homeboy FIU-Miami sh*t lol.
adikIKGu30u6A.gif

People saying “money is no issue” probably don’t realize that HC salaries going wild over the last month will probably result in coordinators / position coaches salaries also going way up.

Not to say we still can’t outbid everyone ($8m is no joke) but I have a feeling we’re going to start seeing OC / DC salaries around $2m become more common. Elite recruiters will get $1m. So even with this increased budget there’s a good chance that we will lose out on some guys because someone valued them more than us and our budget was spent elsewhere.

Not to say we won’t counter in some of these battles cuz Ruiz says **** that I want Seider…if UF is giving him $900k let’s offer him $1.2m. And maybe our $8m budget becomes $8.4m.

Advertisement
Ens called 1st & 2nd downs. Brady called 3rd downs and red zone plays. Go look at LSU offense in 2018 & 2020 without Bradys involvement, the contrast is stark.
That's just anododal to look at the stats as "with and without Joe Brady." The real deal is that Joe Burrows, the son of a footbal coach, and Heisman winner was no longer there. That’s the reason why the offense wasn't the same. Just like Clemson's offense fell of when Sunshine turn pro and DJ U was just above a 55% passer and finished 13th out of the 14 QBs in the ACC.

Brady called plays at the goalline per Ensminger in this article I just added to my previous post.

My understanding is that Ensminger called the plays. I don't know what Brady did for the offense, but he didn't call plays until he got the Carolina Panthers job. And got fired mid season for not being a good play caller.

I found this article where Ensminger explains his gameday play calling and relationship with Joe Brady. Ensminger give much credit to Joe Burrows as being so smart and making everyone look good. According to Ensminger, Brady worked with.Burrows during the game asking him what he saw and relying it to Ensminger so he could set up the plays for the next series. Ensminger was definitely the play caller, but he does give credit for Joe Brady calling the plays down around the goalline 12 yar yards and in.
Brady called red zone offense inside the 12, 3rd downs and other packages Ensminger allowed him to run....

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'd rather have Coley as OC over Brady. What has Brady done as an OC that has everyone excited? The man got fired from his job at Carolina for being a bad play caller. He may be able to design a good spread offense and design plays, but it's an entirely different thing to call plays on game day. Enos was terrible. Lashlee had his issues, but then hit his stride and always set up plays that he new would be touchdowns every game.

I'm just not impressed with Brady as an OC. He wasn't the OC at LSU, yet everyone is giving him credit as though he was. I just don't get it.
There’s absolutely no way you just typed that sober.

Like absolutely none. COLEY OVER BRADY MAN!?! ARE YOU ON CRACK??? ARE YOU MENTALLY OK?

I really, really advise you to go watch some of our games when he was OC because it’s clear you haven’t, then if you still have that opinion…I have no answer.

Brady called red zone offense inside the 12, 3rd downs and other packages Ensminger allowed him to run....
I updated my post to include an article where Ensminger explains what went on.

I think Joe Brady gets a lot of credit on the back ofJoe Burrows. There simply isn't a large enough sample size to crown his *** as some offensive guru. The passing game he brought to the table allowed Burrows to maximize his skill set. I give him much credit for that. He can do the same thing here for TVD. I'm just not sold on him as a play caller. Coley is better and has more experience. It's a bigger deal to call a complete game than just certain situations.

With all the praise for 1 year with LSU, you have to factor in the criticism as an OC at the Carolina Panthers where he was fired for his play calling. I realize that's the NFL, but he was in the NFL under Sean Peyton. The simple truth is that there isn't enough body of work and that makes me feel uncomfortable. TVD can mask a lot of short comings from a coach and make him look better than what he is. As I said, I think he'd be great for TVD. I'm just not sold on him calling plays.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back