Some Insomnia-Induced Thoughts

I'd take 20 straight kicks to the balls to have Collins in this class. I'm not saying Edwards isn't good back up player but Collins was special.

Well i love miami and all, but i'll let you take the 20 kicks to the balls. I may be the minority here, but I'm expecting Dallas Crawford to step up big next year backing up Duke. Then next year if we land Cook or Sony, (slight chance at both) then we have duke for at least a year or two longer with either one starting as a freshman, we're in good shape. AC wants to be in Arkansas, then i wish him best, we should be excited about the players who already committed to us who we don't talk about. Olsen, carter, aqm, etc..

Advertisement
I tend to agree with LuCane about the mending fences, but I offer a little different perspective. I don't think that local coaches necessarily have an issue with Golden. Maybe some do. Ok Ice probably does, but that's his personal hang up over his leaving UM. As Lu pointed out, if we win that changes the perception of the program and gives our coaches leverage. In any case, I currently have a football player in one of my courses that went to Miami Central, and I asked him why kids in South Florida go to UF, Clemson, or Louisville. I specifically asked about Dalvin Cook whom he knows, and his response was that for the longest time we didn't pay the local kids serious attention. Now, for most Canes with a pulse that is not breaking news, but this kid who plays college football where I teach confirmed what many of us suspected. And I should add that he made his statement out of hand with no resentment and without deliberation. So real or imagined that is the perception of some of the local players have of our program. So, Golden has been working overtime to repair the damage that Shannon and Coker both did to the fence Butch had erected around our recruiting base, but clearly there is more work to be done - perhaps more than we realized.

I think also that we may very well be underestimating the significance of how some recruits view us taking a second bowl ban; having done so may convey the idea that we are expecting a significant penalty from the NCAA in spite of Coach Golden's reassurances otherwise.

All is not lost-not immediately anyways. Without a single recruit from this incoming class we should field a 10 win team next season based upon our current level of experience and favorable roster. I really think that's feasible.

I agree with map regarding Duke. You almost need to protect him from himself because he's so physical. Also, he's so good at everything else (catching passes, returning kicks) that it's almost a waste to pound him into the ground as an everydown back.

I agree with map regarding Duke. You almost need to protect him from himself because he's so physical. Also, he's so good at everything else (catching passes, returning kicks) that it's almost a waste to pound him into the ground as an everydown back.

He was able to avoid a lot of really big hits last year and I feel like we need him to be the man without Collins. I also like some of the other athletes we have on the team that could fill in as a KR. They may not be as dynamic but they could get the job done.

He was able to avoid a lot of really big hits last year and I feel like we need him to be the man without Collins. I also like some of the other athletes we have on the team that could fill in as a KR. They may not be as dynamic but they could get the job done.

The thing is it's not about "getting the job done"...it's about putting your best players in the best position to make big plays. Unless you're Randy Shannon you don't put a TE on special teams...you put a blazing playmaker who can take advantage of space and possibly make a play in the open field.

Been watching football a long time...the biggest thing I've come to realize is that a football game is often just a sequence of events drawing from one big play/moment/opportunity. You try to use a guy like Duke on special teams looking for that "big play" that can change a game. Likewise you try to take him out of the equation on a 3rd or 4th an 1 where the collisions are going to be nasty and what you really need is someone who can grind out a yard.

Abusing Duke between the tackles is a misallocation of resources, in my humble opinion.

Advertisement
This Collins development is pretty brutal. Some thoughts:

1. Seems like we have a massive hole at the RB2 spot -- a pretty important spot when you've got a RB1 like Duke, who is probably at his best when he's getting 15 or so carries and 5-7 other touches. I think Duke and Collins would have been like a Bush and Lendale White combo -- very effective, complimentary backs. But that said, are we overstating this loss? We have a AA-type as our starter. Yea, the backs behind him don't excite or even inspire much confidence, but in the end, I'm of the opinion that, for the most part, RBs at a certain level are interchangeable. Mind you, Clements was a very effective local running back.

2. I think there is a 100% chance that, in a year or two, we regret not offering another local kid as a Plan B tailback. As Larry has said in another thread, there HAS to be another UM-level back in SoFla that we can bring in if the coaches think we need the help. I love Dalvin Cook and Michel. I really love Cook -- think he's going to be a top-20 national recruit next year. But we can't count on him or anyone else, as we've learned. If there is a kid in SoFla that merits an offer as a Plan B, I'd make the offer.

3. The most important recruit in this class, besides Olsen, remains out there for us -- Thomas. I think Thomas, by his sophomore year, can have a 50% bigger impact on the game than Collins. Landing Thomas is like landing Willie Williams back in the day -- he's a crown jewel prospect and landing him would make up for tonight's bust.

4. I repeat: when it comes to what some of these "undecided recruits" are thinking, no supposed insider knows ******* ****. All of the information out there is highly flawed and likely subjective. Very few people know what these kids are thinking, and I doubt those people are voicing their opinions to random board posters. I think a lot of people have sources in our AD, which, unless there is a silent committment and even in that scenario sometimes, is not a reliable source because they're highly vested in the outcome. I say from here on out we just wait and see what happens, rather than pretend to read the tea leaves.

5. I don't know how he's going to do it, but Golden has to make amends with these ****-sucking racist piece of **** local coaches, even if it makes him squirm. He's gonna have to take a Xanax, down a scotch, and mend fences with any local coaches who feel aggrieved. The cornerstone of this prorgram is our local recruiting base -- if we don't get these kids because their coaches are pushing them elswhere, there is no difference between us and any other mid-level ACC school.

6. I seriously believe that our stadium situation is a HUGE impediment. Collins went to one of our games where we had like 5 people in attendance. If I was a recruit, that would be a HUGE consideration -- playing in a true college atmosphere. For that reason, I hope these stadium renovations are approved, so the stadium can be made more fan frienfly. Even then, I really think losing the OB may mark a fundamental shift in our program's trajectory.

c[▒]

Advertisement
Back