Some Insomnia-Induced Thoughts

I'd take 20 straight kicks to the balls to have Collins in this class. I'm not saying Edwards isn't good back up player but Collins was special.

that seems a little much, but I applaud your dedication. then again, i suppose you'd go numb after about 8, and the long-term damage would already be done.

Advertisement
I respectfully disagree with those who say Collins or Thomas are the most important recruits. Our biggest problem last year was defense. And defense, especially at UM, has always centered around a stud DT. Think of any great UM defense and it ALWAYS starts with a stud DT. Reality is that's pretty much true for any defense, especially at the highest levels.

So while I don't pretend to know enough about recruiting to digest the prowess of an 18 year and predict, via a 4 minute YouTube video, who will pan out, I do believe a guy like Bryant or Bostwick is more important simply because of their position. We cannot afford to keep missing on DTs.

5. I don't know how he's going to do it, but Golden has to make amends with these ****-sucking racist piece of **** local coaches, even if it makes him squirm. He's gonna have to take a Xanax, down a scotch, and mend fences with any local coaches who feel aggrieved. The cornerstone of this prorgram is our local recruiting base -- if we don't get these kids because their coaches are pushing them elswhere, there is no difference between us and any other mid-level ACC school.

I disagree wholeheartedly with you here. Mending fences will be done together. Golden has to develop his players and do what is necessary to win on the field. The fences need to go up and Al needs to make the local coaches realize that he has leverage, too. You're overreacting re: being a mid-level ACC school when guys down here will still want to come here...when we start winning. Sure, it may only be 1 guy, but Artie Burns is a top 10 defensive recruit of the past 5 seasons. There will be more of those guys. They sprout out from the ground down here. What we've witnessed this year is the presumed worst of the storm: ****ty records, unknown sanctions, etc. This too shall pass.

I disagree with your disagreeing. Mending fences takes two willing parties. It's not that some of these local coaches are just nuetral right now taking a wait and see approach with Golden, some of these coaches are actively trying to undermine Golden and UM. If you don't believe that I'll point you to that gigantic piece of ****, Uncle Luke. I'm not sure what it will take to turn it around. Winning 10 games will help a lot, but there is a serious racism problem with some of these guys.

Ask yourself what do they want. Ask yourself what do they need. I remember when Luke ran for Miami-Dade mayor. I had a bit of an inside view as to what it took for him to throw his "weight" behind one of the candidates. The candidate lost, but Luke was controlled.

It's really no different here. The first step, though, is that Golden has to win. It's why while everyone was "fapping" to Coley, I was writing posts about cautious optimism that he becomes the technical Coordinator we need. If he does, we'll win. If we win, Golden will have enough to control all of this nonsense. Period.

i agree with this. winning covers a lot of sins, but most importantly, it's tangible proof that you can deliver what you promise. and let's not forget, every coach always makes the same promise (which is easily measured), the first day he takes a job: "i promise we will win!"

I respectfully disagree with those who say Collins or Thomas are the most important recruits. Our biggest problem last year was defense. And defense, especially at UM, has always centered around a stud DT. Think of any great UM defense and it ALWAYS starts with a stud DT. Reality is that's pretty much true for any defense, especially at the highest levels.

So while I don't pretend to know enough about recruiting to digest the prowess of an 18 year and predict, via a 4 minute YouTube video, who will pan out, I do believe a guy like Bryant or Bostwick is more important simply because of their position. We cannot afford to keep missing on DTs.

There isn't an 18 year old DT available who will suddenly transform our defense and/or overtake Pierre and a healthy Porter.

Had we gotten Lavon Hooks...

6. I seriously believe that our stadium situation is a HUGE impediment. Collins went to one of our games where we had like 5 people in attendance. If I was a recruit, that would be a HUGE consideration -- playing in a true college atmosphere. For that reason, I hope these stadium renovations are approved, so the stadium can be made more fan frienfly. Even then, I really think losing the OB may mark a fundamental shift in our program's trajectory.

It's not the stadium, it's the fan base. I was at the Bethune and NC State games when there were probably less than 20k people in the stands. Our fans show up to see a winner. The b-ball team is a perfect example.

The stadium was rocking against Oklahoma in 2009, FSU in 2010, Ohio State in 2011, FSU in 2012.

Advertisement
1. The idea that Duke is only a 15 carry back is ridiculous...he's not...Darren Sproles, Troy Davis, among many other smallish "all-purpose backs" have had volume carries and succeeded. Both returned some kicks, too. Duke can be, and should be a workhorse back.

Larry,

I don't know. In one isolated game, yes, he can -- he's not a little scat-back. But over the span of 12 games, I don't know if the kid can or should carry the ball 20 times a game, in addition to several other touches. That's a lot of carries for a guy who doesn't weigh more than 210 lbs, if that.

1. The idea that Duke is only a 15 carry back is ridiculous...he's not...Darren Sproles, Troy Davis, among many other smallish "all-purpose backs" have had volume carries and succeeded. Both returned some kicks, too. Duke can be, and should be a workhorse back.

Totally agree with this, kid is going to get the rok a lot next year and I feel like he will handle it fine. He was slowed by a turf toe last year but looked strong at the end of the season and that was without an off-season in U tough. Feel like he should really benefit from a year in a college strength and conditioning program.

Larry,

I don't know. In one isolated game, yes, he can -- he's not a little scat-back. But over the span of 12 games, I don't know if the kid can or should carry the ball 20 times a game, in addition to several other touches. That's a lot of carries for a guy who doesn't weigh more than 210 lbs, if that.

Dion Lewis did it at Pitt, JaQuiz Rodgers at Oregon St. **** even L. James carried the rock a lot at Oregon.

Advertisement

This.

Duke is not your typical "small scat-back".

He should be able to handle anywhere between 20-25 touches a game.

We just need a complimentary back (preferably a bigger, "between the tackles", guy) who can handle the remaining 10-15 touches.

Now, if Duke were to get hurt at some point during the season, then we'd be royally f*cked.

Hence why getting a guy like Collins was so crucial.

I think if we feed Duke the ball 20 carries a game, he's going to be playing at less than 85% a lot of the time. We saw it last year, and with Lamar Miller.

I think if we feed Duke the ball 20 carries a game, he's going to be playing at less than 85% a lot of the time. We saw it last year, and with Lamar Miller.

Agreed. Signing a competent back is IMPERATIVE to next year. This is why Gus Edwards is so important. We need somebody who is capable of coming in and getting 10 carries a game.

If Crawfords geting 10-15 carries a game next season, we are in trouble. I haven't seen anything out of him from the rb position thus far

Advertisement
Larry,

Troy Davis ran it over 400 times in a season. Sproles over 350. Brandon Oliver ran it over 300. LaMichael James came close to 300. Ken Simonton and Yvenson Bernard were 20+ carry backs. I can go on and on.

Gotta agree with Map on the number of touches. RBs get spelled. Almost every team in the NFL utilizes a 2-back system these days. While I agree that Duke isn't a scatback, I simply don't see how you can say that he should carry the entire load as a workhorse back.

As Map said, there are lots of plays you will have him at less than optimum condition. On top of that, clearly there is the increased risk of injury. There just really isn't much of an argument to say that a RB2 is not necessary because we have Duke.

Gotta agree with Map on the number of touches. RBs get spelled. Almost every team in the NFL utilizes a 2-back system these days. While I agree that Duke isn't a scatback, I simply don't see how you can say that he should carry the entire load as a workhorse back.

As Map said, there are lots of plays you will have him at less than optimum condition. On top of that, clearly there is the increased risk of injury. There just really isn't much of an argument to say that a RB2 is not necessary because we have Duke.

I love how people continue to argue when Larry gives you example after example of small guys who ran the rock alot. These were run based offenses too. This team will throw the ball plenty.

Advertisement
Larry,

Troy Davis ran it over 400 times in a season. Sproles over 350. Brandon Oliver ran it over 300. LaMichael James came close to 300. Ken Simonton and Yvenson Bernard were 20+ carry backs. I can go on and on.

The best example of a smaller back, playing in a multiple offense, is probably Jacquizz Rodgers. He amassed nearly 800 carries in a 3-year career. As a Sophomore, at around 5' 7" and 185ish pounds (maybe), he ran the ball 273 times and had 78 receptions. He had 1922 yards from scrimmage and 22 TDs.

Duke has the ability to avoid big hits. He's one of those guys who just manages to never really take big pops. Most people tackle him by dragging him down by his feet.

What yesterday really showed is that we need to win BIG next year. Have to. For the future of the program.

6. I seriously believe that our stadium situation is a HUGE impediment. Collins went to one of our games where we had like 5 people in attendance. If I was a recruit, that would be a HUGE consideration -- playing in a true college atmosphere. For that reason, I hope these stadium renovations are approved, so the stadium can be made more fan frienfly. Even then, I really think losing the OB may mark a fundamental shift in our program's trajectory.

It's not the stadium, it's the fan base. I was at the Bethune and NC State games when there were probably less than 20k people in the stands. Our fans show up to see a winner. The b-ball team is a perfect example.

The stadium was rocking against Oklahoma in 2009, FSU in 2010, Ohio State in 2011, FSU in 2012.

Why now? Our fans were the same years ago as well and that was before BUC even existed. Even when we were winning, we still had 20-30k fans show up to a BCC like game.

Well we know Gatewood didn't require any form of physical activity he couldn't do LULZ

Advertisement
Back