Some Insomnia-Induced Thoughts

mapcane

Sophomore
This Collins development is pretty brutal. Some thoughts:

1. Seems like we have a massive hole at the RB2 spot -- a pretty important spot when you've got a RB1 like Duke, who is probably at his best when he's getting 15 or so carries and 5-7 other touches. I think Duke and Collins would have been like a Bush and Lendale White combo -- very effective, complimentary backs. But that said, are we overstating this loss? We have a AA-type as our starter. Yea, the backs behind him don't excite or even inspire much confidence, but in the end, I'm of the opinion that, for the most part, RBs at a certain level are interchangeable. Mind you, Clements was a very effective local running back.

2. I think there is a 100% chance that, in a year or two, we regret not offering another local kid as a Plan B tailback. As Larry has said in another thread, there HAS to be another UM-level back in SoFla that we can bring in if the coaches think we need the help. I love Dalvin Cook and Michel. I really love Cook -- think he's going to be a top-20 national recruit next year. But we can't count on him or anyone else, as we've learned. If there is a kid in SoFla that merits an offer as a Plan B, I'd make the offer.

3. The most important recruit in this class, besides Olsen, remains out there for us -- Thomas. I think Thomas, by his sophomore year, can have a 50% bigger impact on the game than Collins. Landing Thomas is like landing Willie Williams back in the day -- he's a crown jewel prospect and landing him would make up for tonight's bust.

4. I repeat: when it comes to what some of these "undecided recruits" are thinking, no supposed insider knows ******* ****. All of the information out there is highly flawed and likely subjective. Very few people know what these kids are thinking, and I doubt those people are voicing their opinions to random board posters. I think a lot of people have sources in our AD, which, unless there is a silent committment and even in that scenario sometimes, is not a reliable source because they're highly vested in the outcome. I say from here on out we just wait and see what happens, rather than pretend to read the tea leaves.

5. I don't know how he's going to do it, but Golden has to make amends with these ****-sucking racist piece of **** local coaches, even if it makes him squirm. He's gonna have to take a Xanax, down a scotch, and mend fences with any local coaches who feel aggrieved. The cornerstone of this prorgram is our local recruiting base -- if we don't get these kids because their coaches are pushing them elswhere, there is no difference between us and any other mid-level ACC school.

6. I seriously believe that our stadium situation is a HUGE impediment. Collins went to one of our games where we had like 5 people in attendance. If I was a recruit, that would be a HUGE consideration -- playing in a true college atmosphere. For that reason, I hope these stadium renovations are approved, so the stadium can be made more fan frienfly. Even then, I really think losing the OB may mark a fundamental shift in our program's trajectory.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Great post Map. Well thought out and you hit all those points precisely! I truly believe AG is the man for the job and for the life of me I can't understand why these local coaches are getting upset over Shannon's firing. He was lazy, hated recruiting, unorganized, and stubborn as fu@k. Did he love Miami and the program, yes. Don't mean **** if you don't win. He probably didn't even know where BTW and Northwestern were...

I think most of yall are over reacting. Bielema has a proven record with his run game. We on the other hand have a new OC, nobody knows how that's going to pan out. And of course the NCAA is ****** us over by the day.
I wish the kid the best of luck.

By the way we got the Duke

Great post Map. Well thought out and you hit all those points precisely! I truly believe AG is the man for the job and for the life of me I can't understand why these local coaches are getting upset over Shannon's firing. He was lazy, hated recruiting, unorganized, and stubborn as fu@k. Did he love Miami and the program, yes. Don't mean **** if you don't win. He probably didn't even know where BTW and Northwestern were...

They got upset b/c they are not only friends with Randy, but they have this complex that everyone was out to get Randy b/c he was black. It's like a 1970s black panther party with some of these dudes.

As for the OP, dead on balls accurate post.

Most of that seems true except the OB part. 20K people at the OB isn't any better than 20K at Sun Life or whatever it is now. 20K is 20K and the OB just looks dumpy by comparison as much as we glorify it. We have to win games to get people there.

I don't know much about Thomas as an individual because I don't follow recruiting much, but we've got to get some DL (especially DT) as a whole. If we don't do that, even somebody as non-invested in recruiting as myself knows that we missed the boat. That is the number 1 thing holding our defense where it is and we're not likely to be any good on defense until it's rectified. We can always hope for some serious improvement by the likes of Moore, Ivery, Gabe Terry, and other such guys who never should've been playing this year but we had a gaping hole with a lot of opportunity and we have to fill that.

Advertisement

They got upset b/c they are not only friends with Randy, but they have this complex that everyone was out to get Randy b/c he was black. It's like a 1970s black panther party with some of these dudes.

As for the OP, dead on balls accurate post.

These people are ridiculous!!! So, because he's black, he deserves a more than fair shot. Dude, was completely lost. I for one don't give a rat's *** whether the coach isblack, white, asian, or mexican... Bottom-line is he didn't win, sucked at talent evaluation, and we did nothing but get worse as a football program.

1. Seems like we have a massive hole at the RB2 spot -- a pretty important spot when you've got a RB1 like Duke, who is probably at his best when he's getting 15 or so carries and 5-7 other touches. I think Duke and Collins would have been like a Bush and Lendale White combo -- very effective, complimentary backs. But that said, are we overstating this loss? We have a AA-type as our starter. Yea, the backs behind him don't excite or even inspire much confidence, but in the end, I'm of the opinion that, for the most part, RBs at a certain level are interchangeable. Mind you, Clements was a very effective local running back.

There's no way to rationalize it. We're going to try to use Dallas Crawford in spots and someone else will have to step in to take about 8-10 carries. I have no idea who that will be or how it will get done.

2. I think there is a 100% chance that, in a year or two, we regret not offering another local kid as a Plan B tailback. As Larry has said in another thread, there HAS to be another UM-level back in SoFla that we can bring in if the coaches think we need the help. I love Dalvin Cook and Michel. I really love Cook -- think he's going to be a top-20 national recruit next year. But we can't count on him or anyone else, as we've learned. If there is a kid in SoFla that merits an offer as a Plan B, I'd make the offer.

It will likely be Gus Edwards or bust. I think it's too late in the game for this move. Swallow the pill.

3. The most important recruit in this class, besides Olsen, remains out there for us -- Thomas. I think Thomas, by his sophomore year, can have a 50% bigger impact on the game than Collins. Landing Thomas is like landing Willie Williams back in the day -- he's a crown jewel prospect and landing him would make up for tonight's bust.

The second most important recruit (after Olsen) in this class was Alex Collins, IMO. I've said that Matthew Thomas is the best defensive prospect in 5 years, but I think he's about #4 or #5 in terms of importance. The reason is that he would still have to beat out Eddie Johnson this year, and over the long-term, Jermaine Grace is going to leave here as someone taken in the top 3 rounds of the NFL draft. It doesn't mean I'm minimizing the importance of Matthew Thomas, but I see someone like AQM playing a really important role, and of course, I believed a DT capable of being a starter next to Pierre in 2014 was the #3 most important recruit in this class. We may fail there as well.

4. I repeat: when it comes to what some of these "undecided recruits" are thinking, no supposed insider knows ******* ****. All of the information out there is highly flawed and likely subjective. Very few people know what these kids are thinking, and I doubt those people are voicing their opinions to random board posters. I think a lot of people have sources in our AD, which, unless there is a silent committment and even in that scenario sometimes, is not a reliable source because they're highly vested in the outcome. I say from here on out we just wait and see what happens, rather than pretend to read the tea leaves.

Preach. No one knows a ******* thing. Most of it being highly subjective deductions. I learned this a long time ago when D$ and I would talk, he'd share the very best information, and it'd still end up wrong.

5. I don't know how he's going to do it, but Golden has to make amends with these ****-sucking racist piece of **** local coaches, even if it makes him squirm. He's gonna have to take a Xanax, down a scotch, and mend fences with any local coaches who feel aggrieved. The cornerstone of this prorgram is our local recruiting base -- if we don't get these kids because their coaches are pushing them elswhere, there is no difference between us and any other mid-level ACC school.

I disagree wholeheartedly with you here. Mending fences will be done together. Golden has to develop his players and do what is necessary to win on the field. The fences need to go up and Al needs to make the local coaches realize that he has leverage, too. You're overreacting re: being a mid-level ACC school when guys down here will still want to come here...when we start winning. Sure, it may only be 1 guy, but Artie Burns is a top 10 defensive recruit of the past 5 seasons. There will be more of those guys. They sprout out from the ground down here. What we've witnessed this year is the presumed worst of the storm: ****** records, unknown sanctions, etc. This too shall pass.

6. I seriously believe that our stadium situation is a HUGE impediment. Collins went to one of our games where we had like 5 people in attendance. If I was a recruit, that would be a HUGE consideration -- playing in a true college atmosphere. For that reason, I hope these stadium renovations are approved, so the stadium can be made more fan frienfly. Even then, I really think losing the OB may mark a fundamental shift in our program's trajectory.
Collins is not the rule. The guy goes to the beat of his own drum. He plays ******* lacrosse and is on the cheerleading team. In the end, we still have an incredible platform to offer. If/when we start winning more, it'll look even better.
Take a deep breath. Let everyone get their lumps in. Keep your gloves up. We'll throw punches soon.

My comments in bold and blue...for cooling out.

Advertisement
GUYS!! For the love of Gawd.......

Edwards is a better prospect. Edwards> Collins

I SAW AC three times this season, came away UNIMPRESSED each time. He's a good back when healthy... but really, he got worn down after 5 (FIVE) games against smaller defenses in Broward Co. as a Sr. No way in **** he absorbs ACC or SEC contact and be effective after mid-October in 2013, after I learned that Gatewood doesn't require lifting.

I SAW him hold his little finger and complain, and go off and sit on the far end of the bench, TWICE. Two separate games. You know what, I'm calling Alex Collins a *****. I saw it, with my own eyeballs, on the sidelines, saw him feel sorry for himself and sulk. We don't need pussies at Miami, and frankly, Alex Collins is a *****, and that's NOT b/c he didn't choose UM.

Just relaying what I saw.

I was killed for saying this earlier last week. But trust guys who are in the loop... who actually see these guys multiple times...

Stop, man. Collins was a one-man show. You may have learned that Gatewood doesn't require lifting, but Collins didn't throw on 20 pounds of muscle through magic.

Please remove the personal attacks on the player.

I'd take 20 straight kicks to the balls to have Collins in this class. I'm not saying Edwards isn't good back up player but Collins was special.

Advertisement
Thanks Lu

I can get some sleep. Golden is a winner

There's no way to rationalize it. We're going to try to use Dallas Crawford in spots and someone else will have to step in to take about 8-10 carries. I have no idea who that will be or how it will get done.

It will likely be Gus Edwards or bust. I think it's too late in the game for this move. Swallow the pill.

The second most important recruit (after Olsen) in this class was Alex Collins, IMO. I've said that Matthew Thomas is the best defensive prospect in 5 years, but I think he's about #4 or #5 in terms of importance. The reason is that he would still have to beat out Eddie Johnson this year, and over the long-term, Jermaine Grace is going to leave here as someone taken in the top 3 rounds of the NFL draft. It doesn't mean I'm minimizing the importance of Matthew Thomas, but I see someone like AQM playing a really important role, and of course, I believed a DT capable of being a starter next to Pierre in 2014 was the #3 most important recruit in this class. We may fail there as well.

4. I repeat: when it comes to what some of these "undecided recruits" are thinking, no supposed insider knows ****ing ****. All of the information out there is highly flawed and likely subjective. Very few people know what these kids are thinking, and I doubt those people are voicing their opinions to random board posters. I think a lot of people have sources in our AD, which, unless there is a silent committment and even in that scenario sometimes, is not a reliable source because they're highly vested in the outcome. I say from here on out we just wait and see what happens, rather than pretend to read the tea leaves.

Preach. No one knows a ****ing thing. Most of it being highly subjective deductions. I learned this a long time ago when D$ and I would talk, he'd share the very best information, and it'd still end up wrong.

I disagree wholeheartedly with you here. Mending fences will be done together. Golden has to develop his players and do what is necessary to win on the field. The fences need to go up and Al needs to make the local coaches realize that he has leverage, too. You're overreacting re: being a mid-level ACC school when guys down here will still want to come here...when we start winning. Sure, it may only be 1 guy, but Artie Burns is a top 10 defensive recruit of the past 5 seasons. There will be more of those guys. They sprout out from the ground down here. What we've witnessed this year is the presumed worst of the storm: ****ty records, unknown sanctions, etc. This too shall pass.

Collins is not the rule. The guy goes to the beat of his own drum. He plays ****ing lacrosse and is on the cheerleading team. In the end, we still have an incredible platform to offer. If/when we start winning more, it'll look even better.
Take a deep breath. Let everyone get their lumps in. Keep your gloves up. We'll throw punches soon.

My comments in bold and blue...for cooling out.

Reading comprehension is low on this site, obviously.

You guys don't listen or read. I've been there and saw. I'm telling you and you guys are throwing it back in my face like my opinion doesn't matter...

AC... believe the hype, all the hype, he's the #1 RB in FL. Believe what you want... No personal attacks on the player, I'd always hoped he wouldn't come here b/c of what I know.

Keyboard scouts, you guys know all............................................

I've only seen highlights of Alex Collins. He looks great. But highlights don't show you toughness. I won't call him names, but if those eyewitness accounts are correct its a little startling. Speaking of that. When Gabe Terry committed I watched his highlights several times. If you pay attention to #5 in white(Angelo Jean Louis, going to Marshall) you can see him running away from contact. Now Jean Louis is playing defense in the clips, but he is avoiding tackling people and he does it a couple times. He might have been injured. But its crazy to look at. He is playing corner. First play at the bottom of the screen. Second play he comes from the top and runs away and behind the back who caught the screen. The back scored a TD.

Watch the clips when Terry is playing the team in Blue and Yellow(you can see #5(Jean Louis) running away from contact while playing defense)

Cue the clip up to 3:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30sc8a_U81s

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am highly upset too but some of you are going overboard. Al's job depends on signing MT? Lol. This can't be your first go around with this thing..Losing Collins was huge and it could lead to us losing more because as some posters have said we found out at 10pm eastern time that most of these so called experts dont know ****. I just can't help but think what Al Golden is thinking right now. This has been going on for years now. SoFla recruits leaving us at the alter. I am starting to call BS on that whole "We will wait for you" speech after tonights letdown. What if next year we wait until a day before NSD and lose Sony AND Cook!? I don't have a solution to this but something has to be done about putting our eggs in one basket. And make no mistake..Getting a DTice or AEdwards would be a drop down from AC. Sour grapes to say anything otherwise..I am going back to sleep..

P.S. - I cannot phuckin believe that we let Arkansas into SoFla. Arkansas?? SMH. The ONLY scenarios that would make this better:

A) Landing Matthew Thomas
B) Landing Bryant AND Bostwick
C) Landing Coley AND Bryant or Bostwick
D) Landing obviously all of the above.

We do one of these and AC can take his a$$ to Pig-Suey **** and freeze his dreadlocks off for all I care.

I'm in the field, I talk to coaches and players.

Trust what I tell you guys.

I attend practices, games, tryouts. I hear, I see. I experience.

I'm in the field, I talk to coaches and players.

Trust what I tell you guys.

I attend practices, games, tryouts. I hear, I see. I experience.

Is this a well kept secret, or do plenty of people who watch the games know? I know Cameron kept talking about Miramar practically making him quit.

Advertisement
Back