Some insight on Munoz DT commit

Advertisement
Countless examples of kids like this blowing up....he missed his whole junior year because of a broken leg. He's not 2 months away from his senior season and nobody has seen him play football since he was a maturing 15 year old. You can put on a whole lot of size and strength in 18 months between the ages of 15 and 17. I can't even fathom how many kids I've seen like this who are under the radar type players because of injury or some other factor and then they turn out to be good players.

I think we're all in agreement that if Sam Brooks doesn't get hurt Week 1 last year, plays how he sure was expected to play and then spent the last 6 months competing at camps, he'd sure as **** be rated higher than he is currently. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Munoz take off. He's totally unknown right now.

Richt took a chance on Deandre Baker from Northwestern in 2015 when he had no offers from either of the Big 3... Now Baker projects as a 1st pick at CB.

I think I'll go ahead and trust Richt on Munoz, Good, and Bethel.

EXCELLENT post. We can't predict the future, but you're exactly right. It's not like it's unheard of to go from an unknown kid to a stud in college, especially for a kid down here. Baker had no Big 3 interest, and might go in the Top 10 next April.

Richt took a chance on Deandre Baker from Northwestern in 2015 when he had no offers from either of the Big 3... Now Baker projects as a 1st pick at CB.

I think I'll go ahead and trust Richt on Munoz, Good, and Bethel.
Heres the thing about unknown kids its mostly based on stars and hype from sites who dont see every kid but local coaches do and do a lot of research. Anybody who thinks Richts taking projects has no idea what they're talking about

Advertisement
I've said it before about this kid, he's the kind of "project" I like going after. A kid that big and athletic has a really high floor. Worst case, he's just a rotational DT body. Nothing wrong with that.

Countless examples of kids like this blowing up....he missed his whole junior year because of a broken leg. He's not 2 months away from his senior season and nobody has seen him play football since he was a maturing 15 year old. You can put on a whole lot of size and strength in 18 months between the ages of 15 and 17. I can't even fathom how many kids I've seen like this who are under the radar type players because of injury or some other factor and then they turn out to be good players.

I think we're all in agreement that if Sam Brooks doesn't get hurt Week 1 last year, plays how he sure was expected to play and then spent the last 6 months competing at camps, he'd sure as **** be rated higher than he is currently. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see Munoz take off. He's totally unknown right now.

Brooks didn't get hurt week 1 tho

I've said it before about this kid, he's the kind of "project" I like going after. A kid that big and athletic has a really high floor. Worst case, he's just a rotational DT body. Nothing wrong with that.

A project because websites put a 3 star next to his name? Physically, the kid looks not only massive but lean. Looks more physically ready than nesta was at this point. And I'm sure he's getting great coaching at STA as well. Underrated kids aren't always projects. Good is a project, he's never played corner. Bethel is a project, very tiny weight wise and hasn't played a lot of corner, but both have blazing speed. Project is a very misused word on this site

Sam Brooks wasn't hurt week 1 but I agree

Advertisement
A project because websites put a 3 star next to his name? Physically, the kid looks not only massive but lean. Looks more physically ready than nesta was at this point. And I'm sure he's getting great coaching at STA as well. Underrated kids aren't always projects. Good is a project, he's never played corner. Bethel is a project, very tiny weight wise and hasn't played a lot of corner, but both have blazing speed. Project is a very misused word on this site

Thus the quotation marks around "project" in my original post.

Brooks didn't get hurt week 1 tho

My bad. It was very early in the season though IIRC. I remember it being a nationally televised game, believe it was against Carol City that's why in my mind I was thinking it was early. Couldn't have been later than October.

Anthony moten would be his worst case

I've yet to see the staff reach at DT. They have had trouble landing them, but they've yet to say, "We aren't getting the studs we are targeting, so looks go after this low ceiling player or this project." It's been either stud or bust at DT under Richt (outside of the Missouri commit we took in the transition class). I'll trust that is what they are still doing this year, and Munoz really is the kind of talent that blew them away as was reported.

Advertisement
Exactly.
At least the projects he's offering have legit physical attributes.
Good is a "project" that runs a 10.6 100m @ 6'0" 185lbs.
Munoz is a lean and athletic 6'4" 276lbs.
Bethel can fly.

There's physical attributes that can be worked with. Golden's projects were inferior football players AND mediocre athletes.

Larry Hope says hello....

Advertisement
There's a great article on Munoz today by Christy Chirinos. She is starting an ongoing series about UM commits. He sounds like a great kid and a Cane thru and thru

I'm 50/50 on that. The projects in the '16 class was atrocious. Most of those projects are gone just 2 years in. 2017 We haven't seen anything from them. Most of them were on special teams on the year we've probably had the worse special teams I've ever seen at Miami.

I like the project we picked up this class though. Wiggins has good speed and size. If Ivey learns to be physical at 6'1 he could be good. Rousseau has speed and length. Campbell has size and is athletic enough to play tackle. Joyner is about a 6'3 LB who can move.

2016? Really?

Advertisement
Back