Some insight on Munoz DT commit

Another hard concept on this board for the guys who think the 2019 class sucks. 2018 was a better class up to this point but 2019 is a very solid class with a mix of underrated guys (some with prior injuries) and a good mix of projects with all of the physical tools. Now lets close on some highly touted guys so you all (cough brock) can quit *****ing.
There are a lot worse than brock on the board.

Advertisement
Another hard concept on this board for the guys who think the 2019 class sucks. 2018 was a better class up to this point but 2019 is a very solid class with a mix of underrated guys (some with prior injuries) and a good mix of projects with all of the physical tools. Now lets close on some highly touted guys so you all (cough brock) can quit *****ing.

I'll take guys like Harvey, Summerall, Brooks all day. WTF cares that they're 3 stars.

There's really nothing in his HUDL tape that tells me he'll be an AA or a JAG. Just not enough there. Gotta trust the coaches on this one, which I do.

I personally respect that they are confident enough to make an offer on the spot after he met their decision criteria even without the field production. They didn't do the same with a kid like Kancey or Passmore, so Munoz must have really blown them away. I trust that Simpson and Diaz know which of those kids deserved the offer the most.

The Hudl tape is two years old and he weighted 215-220 correct?

Munoz was measured at 6-3/245 at the Miami Opening on February 26, 2017
He has matured and grown substantially since then. If I recall was 6-4 and 276 pounds about a month or so ago when offered.

And it is all good weight. The HUDL film with him working out my first thought was I haven't seen a high school kid ripped like that at that weight in a long, long time. The last kid was Da'shaun Hand when he was at Woodbridge High School and he was 15 pounds lighter than Munoz. This kid can easily walk into Coral Gables at 290 pound and look like he is part of the All-Airport team without Gus having to reshape him.

Advertisement
Definitely agree. And if he was an EE, I would definitely say that Felder would have him up to 295 and looking jacked by Fall.

Sucks that STA kids cant EE. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

I'll take guys like Harvey, Summerall, Brooks all day. WTF cares that they're 3 stars.

Most coaches around the country know Brooks is a 5* talent. But that injury really set him back. Interested to see if his recruitment heats up if he bursts on the scene and looks 100% this year.

Munoz/Brooks/Crowley gonna be absolute beasts. Im still a bit unfamiliar with Harvey but physically he looks the part.
I think Damarius good can really surprise people but will hold off until paradise reports.

I do have some question marks about Hodges, but not really concerned with the TE's we brought in for 2018.

I'll only be concerned when we start missing on the Neals, Stevensons, MARs, Bogles of this class.

Munoz/Brooks/Crowley gonna be absolute beasts. Im still a bit unfamiliar with Harvey but physically he looks the part.
I think Damarius good can really surprise people but will hold off until paradise reports.

I do have some question marks about Hodges, but not really concerned with the TE's we brought in for 2018.

I'll only be concerned when we start missing on the Neals, Stevensons, MARs, Bogles of this class.

C'mon man, don't put that bad karma into the world. At least throw an "if" in there.

Advertisement
Best attribute about Munoz is that I'm not worried that he is some attention loving hype queen. No worries about him sticking to his quote unquote "commitment"

The Hudl tape is two years old and he weighted 215-220 correct?

Skeeter, you watch 5x more highlights than I do, so I know you know the answer, lol. Yes, it is from his sophomore year. He looks around 220 then, don't know his true weight. He was also lined up as a DE and often standing up. They also didn't specifically show good shots where you could gauge his burst, acceleration or arm and leg strength. Too busy for my untrained eyes to break it down.

Flash forward to this May, and he posted a Spring highlight, with a lot of practice drills as a DT. He looks like a totally different player. Definitely close to the advertised 270, and ripped for a HS junior. Can't wait to see him after Felder gets a hold of him. But it's in drills against teammates, some of whom do not look nearly on his level. Again, nearly impossible for me to measure his athletic abilities. So until I see him going up against legit OL in real game situations, I just don't know what to think ... other than the fact these coaches know what they're doing and offered him on the spot, which they didn't do with some other quality local kids.

Skeeter, you watch 5x more highlights than I do, so I know you know the answer, lol. Yes, it is from his sophomore year. He looks around 220 then, don't know his true weight. He was also lined up as a DE and often standing up. They also didn't specifically show good shots where you could gauge his burst, acceleration or arm and leg strength. Too busy for my untrained eyes to break it down.

Flash forward to this May, and he posted a Spring highlight, with a lot of practice drills as a DT. He looks like a totally different player. Definitely close to the advertised 270, and ripped for a HS junior. Can't wait to see him after Felder gets a hold of him. But it's in drills against teammates, some of whom do not look nearly on his level. Again, nearly impossible for me to measure his athletic abilities. So until I see him going up against legit OL in real game situations, I just don't know what to think ... other than the fact these coaches know what they're doing and offered him on the spot, which they didn't do with some other quality local kids.

Ya def an interesting take I agree w you. My only point was, alot of rising seniors aren't the same player as 2 years ago, and is his case it is even more so true with the weight gain and the projected position switch, off injury, etc...

Advertisement
Biggest difference, well one of them, between Richt and Golden recruiting is in terms of the lower rated guys or projects. Golden just took mediocre players to fill spots. The guys Richt is taking, at least since 2017, have tremendous physical ability, and alot of upside:

Derrick Smith, Nigel Bethel, Damarius Good, Munoz, Jordan Miller - if you're going to take guys who could be labeled as projects, these are the type of guys you take. Not the Joe Browns, Tyler Grimsleys, and Ryan Mayes of the world
Exactly.
At least the projects he's offering have legit physical attributes.
Good is a "project" that runs a 10.6 100m @ 6'0" 185lbs.
Munoz is a lean and athletic 6'4" 276lbs.
Bethel can fly.

There's physical attributes that can be worked with. Golden's projects were inferior football players AND mediocre athletes.

Exactly.
At least the projects he's offering have legit physical attributes.
Good is a "project" that runs a 10.6 100m @ 6'0" 185lbs.
Munoz is a lean and athletic 6'4" 276lbs.
Bethel can fly.

There's physical attributes that can be worked with. Golden's projects were inferior football players AND mediocre athletes.

I'm 50/50 on that. The projects in the '16 class was atrocious. Most of those projects are gone just 2 years in. 2017 We haven't seen anything from them. Most of them were on special teams on the year we've probably had the worse special teams I've ever seen at Miami.

I like the project we picked up this class though. Wiggins has good speed and size. If Ivey learns to be physical at 6'1 he could be good. Rousseau has speed and length. Campbell has size and is athletic enough to play tackle. Joyner is about a 6'3 LB who can move.

I'm 50/50 on that. The projects in the '16 class was atrocious. Most of those projects are gone just 2 years in. 2017 We haven't seen anything from them. Most of them were on special teams on the year we've probably had the worse special teams I've ever seen at Miami.

I like the project we picked up this class though. Wiggins has good speed and size. If Ivey learns to be physical at 6'1 he could be good. Rousseau has speed and length. Campbell has size and is athletic enough to play tackle. Joyner is about a 6'3 LB who can move.

All of the guys you named as projects in the 2018 class all had big time offers other than Miami. So I’m not really sure if they are projects at all.
Wiggins uf , bama, Georgia
Rousseau USC, LSU, South Carolina
Joyner FSU, uf, bama
Ivey uga, South Carolina auburn
Campbell auburn, osu , Alabama, Georgia, uf

Advertisement
All of the guys you named as projects in the 2018 class all had big time offers other than Miami. So I’m not really sure if they are projects at all.
Wiggins uf , bama, Georgia
Rousseau USC, LSU, South Carolina
Joyner FSU, uf, bama
Ivey uga, South Carolina auburn
Campbell auburn, osu , Alabama, Georgia, uf
That's the true way to judge whether they're blue chips. When I used to talk to a different generation of coaches, they would mention good offers from other schools. That would confirm their judgements about players, in their own eyes. Still applies.

Those other schools can recruit the best--they don't throw out offers to just anybody.

IF those are legitimate offers. I thought Rosseau was supposed to be a deep sleeper, a hidden gem.

Bama recruits the best--if they really wanted Campbell, he must be quite a recruit. And he had UGA, OSU and Auburn offers. That's elite, even if he was a Plan B for these schools.

C'mon man, don't put that bad karma into the world. At least throw an "if" in there.
I looked at Good's highlights and saw a muscular (for a future CB) player who was fast and athletic and would hit. Most of the highlights I saw were on offense. If he doesn't make it as a corner he can play somewhere.

The 2016 class was a transition class for Richt, so that’s not a fair comparison. He didn’t have time to thoroughly evaluate players.

Ivey ain't no project

Advertisement
Back