Some encouraging performances

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
I won't get into the coaching because we're on to Coach Richt. But it was nice to see some young players take advantage of the extra practices and build some momentum heading into next year:

Demetrius Jackson got some extended burn yesterday and picked up a sack. He is one of our most gifted defenders at 6'5, 250 pounds running a 4.7. It was also pretty cool to see that he donated his bowl money to a children's hospital. You know Richt loved hearing that. This is a guy who could explode under our new DL coach.

Braxton Berrios made two critical plays to set up a comeback and showed the burst that's been missing this year. I think the injury in the opener really set him back. He looked extremely quick in camp and was embarrassing some of our top corners before the injury. He could play a big role next year as a slot receiver.

Mike Smith got playing time and was able to force a fumble. He was one of the best players in the state before blowing out his knee, so it was nice to see him playing meaningful snaps again. He was miscast as linebacker and can play a Michael Sam-type role for the next defensive staff.

Sheldrick Redwine has been a force all year on special teams and saw some crunch time snaps on defense. He has sky-high potential and should replace Artie Burns on the boundary.

Advertisement
I think we struck gold with Redwine. He definitely got overlooked by some top programs. Excited to see how some new defensive coaches can develop him. He plays with a chip on his shoulder, which I think is every bit as important as natural athleticism.

Michael Smith stood out to me. Could play a Javon Nanton type of role here. Chad Thomas was held the entire game. If the news about our new DL coach is accurate and true, I expect us to have a top 5 DL next year.

On the other side of this, I hope we're about settled on the Trevor Darling LT debate. Also, Mcdermott shouldn't be on the perimeter. Ever.

Advertisement
I completely forgot Michael Smith was a thing. And if Trevor Darling never sees the field again, it'll be too soon.

On the other side of this, I hope we're about settled on the Trevor Darling LT debate.

There was never really a debate. He is a RT or a guard (I think RT). We just don't have anyone better. The key is going to be developing St. Louis to take that spot.

I told y'all if we used mike smith right he would make plays. He can be very serviceable maybe like a Marcus Robinson from Shannon's Miami teams

Advertisement
On the other side of this, I hope we're about settled on the Trevor Darling LT debate.

There was never really a debate. He is a RT or a guard (I think RT). We just don't have anyone better. The key is going to be developing St. Louis to take that spot.

He can play at RT, but I think his $ spot is LG. Problem for us is that I don't think Sonny can play LT, either. So, we have two RTs and 3 Guards.

**Edit: And, not to bust chops, but simply to clarify that there was an ongoing debate. Thought I was losing my mind there for a second. You've called him passable at LT and called for continuity. https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/graduate-transfers-jucos/94766

I get that you've meant "passable" in the sense we legit have had no other option. But, he's really rough out there. He should not be a consideration.

Last edited:
Trent Harris is about to be the next Michael Sam type player if the coach Kool thing is true. They seem to play very similar styles

One bad game in the snow isn't going to hurt his draft status. Kid has been good all year.

Aside from the fumble, Walton looked great. I think he takes the lead back role next season (and I'm a Yearby fan).

Advertisement
Advertisement
I was impressed by Braxton's burst and moves...i was like where has that been all year. Kid has potential to be that Wes Welker type possession type receiver

Aside from the fumble, Walton looked great. I think he takes the lead back role next season (and I'm a Yearby fan).

Not sure if serious? Yearby has out performed him nearly every game and every time yearby gets in a grove and drive the ball down the field they take him out and put Walton in... It will be Gus Edwards if we are going by Mark richt track record. He And gray has that size and speed combo that richt has liked for the past few years

Sheldrick Redwine was money on special teams, going to be a good one for us.

I'm with Lu. We need OT's. Maybe Juco route for a short term solution, before coaching up new recruits. That seems to be our biggest need. Seems like St Louis and the Juco kid who got blown up a few times in camp are our only options. Whoever the OL coach is needs to earn his paycheck fast...

Go Canes!

Sheldrick Redwine was money on special teams, going to be a good one for us.

I'm with Lu. We need OT's. Maybe Juco route for a short term solution, before coaching up new recruits. That seems to be our biggest need. Seems like St Louis and the Juco kid who got blown up a few times in camp are our only options. Whoever the OL coach is needs to earn his paycheck fast...

Go Canes!

I just bumped an older post about this topic so that this one can stay on track. It's a really shaky situation. And, in that thread I bumped, D$ made a legit point about the nature of JuCo Left Tackles.

Advertisement
Back