Some Canes about to hit the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
We all are projecting but IF they decide to dip, I think that gives some credence to their attitude about it. Drop after drop, awful play after awful play they kept getting chances and kept getting trotted out. Then in Spring they see their snaps start to dwindle and immediately hit the portal? That's soft. For the record, I rarely want ANY cane to transfer, I want lifers. But in this scenario I cannot see how that is acceptable or forgivable. There always can be an exception but unless that comes out it is what it is.

So they get demoted, presumably told they aren’t going to play and they should still stay?

Would you?

XAkjviN.gif

Yeah. NCAA needs to do something about this IC rule lol.

Thankfully they're totally competent and proactive with their product. /s

What happens if we stay at this 25 number, then kids in limbo gotta drop down a division and then the domino effect just fvcks over athletes in lower divisons?

Not to derail the thread but my proposal would be this:

25 ICs (your choice between HS and portal)
1:1 exemption ratio for any of your current players that hit the portal (for example, 3 of your current players hit the portal, you can now bring in an additional 3 ICs so you could bring in a total of 28 ICs)
85 limit stays in effect (once Covid eligibility runs out)

This allows more HS kids to get offers and teams to have a fighting chance to be near the 85 limit. All those portal kids have better odds of finding a landing spot.

Advertisement
Hopefully the good news in all of this if true is that maybe Manny has finally awaken to the fact that starting a Fr or Soph. ahead of upperclassmen that are nowhere near the same talent level is the right way to coach and not the reverse.

Running guys out there like a Pope or Wiggins when everyone that's been watching for the last couple years knows what's coming is stupid and hard headed especially when you have guys standing next to you that are way more talented.

It's taken a couple years but maybe Manny is finally smelling the coffee.

1:1 exemption ratio for any of your current players that hit the portal (for example, 3 of your current players hit the portal, you can now bring in an additional 3 ICs so you could bring in a total of 28 ICs)

This allows more HS kids to get offers and teams to have a fighting chance to be near the 85 limit. All those portal kids have better odds of finding a landing spot.
well Emmert just got extended so I'm sure this will be his first order of business especially if Saban tells him it needs to be done..

So they get demoted, presumably told they aren’t going to play and they should still stay?

Would you?

Nah nah don't go moving goal posts now. Now you are making presumptions, IF they were told they would not play, and they decide to leave to have a shot at the NFL at maybe a lesser school, no issues with it. That is a coach being upfront with his player and the player doing what is in his best interest when he is passed by younger guys and his only shot is potentially playing if someone gets injured with limited eligibility left.

Also, IF they were told they arent going to play, then it makes no difference if they transfer or stay.

This thing started by you asking WHY would a fan want anyone to leave. The simple answer given was IF they were going to either (a) have a bad attitude about it and directly impact the locker room; or (b) have a fine attitude about it but get lazy, lose work ethic and focus which indirectly impacts the team.

Advertisement
Pope is mentally soft but cares. Wiggins don’t even look like he cares. His body
Language is horrible
funny you say this because I can't remember ever seeing anyone with worse body language than Pope. He looks so indifferent, drives me nuts. There is another characteristic to his movement that I will not comment on but is very noticeable.

I remember dudes saying that about Hankerson too. Let it work it’s way out. We see they are not performing but no need trash the kids
Hankerson just wasn’t a team player. He was all about himself and didn’t care what happened when he wasn’t playing. When he finally got the PT he played really well. Pope and Wiggins already started for an entire season. Completely different situations.

Advertisement

This is not unreasonable, but I'm not certain it would be all that great to keep a 1:1 ratio forever and I am somewhat concerned about the potential for abuse. For this season (post-covid, extra eligibility, open transfers), I'd be down with one exempt transfer in for every transfer out, but I think I would want some upper limit moving forward. Something like a 1:1 exemption ratio for up to 5 transfers. Beyond that, you get no additional IC relief for transfer. I'd also want to make certain transfer ICs could only be used for transfers (not HS kids, otherwise we aren't solving the problem of getting these kids out of the portal).

It would also make sense to allow each graduate transfer out to allow for an IC exemption beyond any proposed limit. So let's say UM had 8 kids transfer out, but 2 graduated, UM would get 7 ICs for transfer beyond their 25 ICs (limit of 5 plus 2 more for the graduate transfers). This way the schools who are graduating kids before they transfer get a little more IC relief than the schools who are just pushing kids out to make more room for transfers.

Advertisement

Would you?
That's a tough call. Your chance of going to the NFL is pretty bad, seeing as you can't even beat out the younger guys on your team. It's a slim chance that changes just by getting a chance to play somewhere else if that's your bar. I guess you take that chance and uproot your experience instead of just taking the scholarship and taking your major now as the primary career driver and staying at UM.

We all are projecting but IF they decide to dip, I think that gives some credence to their attitude about it. Drop after drop, awful play after awful play they kept getting chances and kept getting trotted out. Then in Spring they see their snaps start to dwindle and immediately hit the portal? That's soft. For the record, I rarely want ANY cane to transfer, I want lifers. But in this scenario I cannot see how that is acceptable or forgivable. There always can be an exception but unless that comes out it is what it is.
Underrated post.

VERY UNDERRATED POST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back