Some 7-on-7 observations

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
The team held a 7-on-7 session today during lunch break for the camp. You can't read too much into these 7-on7s-- they are very informal and the players are out having fun. But it's May, so here you go.

- Kevin Olsen started out very cold, throwing a pass in the dirt and then tossing two-near picks. But after Rosier came in and put together a nice series, Olsen stepped up his game and got in rhythm. He hit Sandland twice for long-gainers and connected on a deep ball to Dorsett. Olsen is at his best throwing down the seam-- he shows really nice anticipation on those passes. My big takeaway is that Olsen responded well to competition.

- Brad Kaaya was in California for his high school graduation. Of the three quarterbacks out there today, Malik Rosier had the strongest arm. He has a bit of a long delivery, but the ball comes out smoking. He hit Dallas Crawford in the face on a hitch, which had Crawford laughing and asking Rosier to take it easy. When Rosier wasn't throwing, he was attached to Ryan Williams asking him questions. The accuracy was hit or miss but he drove the ball.

- Duke Johnson and Joseph Yearby participated. Both guys looked to have bulked up since the last time I saw them.

- Even when the rest of the offense was joking and having fun, Stacy Coley was carrying himself like Rakim. All business, no smiles. If a route didn't work, he went over to the quarterback and Ryan Williams to figure out what went wrong. He is serious about the game and it shows.

- Alex Figueroa is the captain of the All-Airport team. He came in lean and lanky, but he is starting to fill out into a monster.

- Marques Gayot already looks like a WILL and made several nice plays on the ball.

- Standish Dobard is enormous. He's not a great pass-catcher, but he has athleticism and competes. Reminds me a lot of a Brandon Pettigrew-type player.

- Chad Thomas and Demetrius Jackson look tremendous physically. Jackson in particular has bulked up a lot. I keep hearing that these two (along with the rest of the freshman class) have excellent attitudes.

- At the end of these 7-on-7s, the offense switches to defense and vise versa. This is mostly for fun, but it's always interesting to see what kind of athletes these guys are. On offense, Corn Elder, Alex Figueroa and Dallas Crawford made the most plays. Herb Waters was awesome at defensive back and had multiple picks. He probably could've played there at a high level.

Advertisement
Figueroa is a 2x Greentree AA.

He needs to take the next step and produce in games all season.

Thanks for the info Darnell.

Awesome! Nice write up, it's fun to hear these things and to know some of these key players understands how important this is even when it's just "fun".

Advertisement
Advertisement
True freshmen last year that WE crowned a GT AA. I like how he's developing. Just need to make sure his ion drive is fully operational and all safeties are moved to the off position before game time. No worries.

True freshmen last year that WE crowned a GT AA. I like how he's developing. Just need to make sure his ion drive is fully operational and all safeties are moved to the off position before game time. No worries.

30.gif

Advertisement
The real question is how did Walter Tucker and Gus Edwards look catching passes out of the back field.

I want to see Tucker running wheel routes down the sidelines with ball thrown to his out side shoulder so he can catch it in full stride an that will be 6pts all day for the country's fastest high school 110m hurdler.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Marques Gayot already looks like a WILL and made several nice plays on the ball.

what does this mean? I thought Gayot was a Safety.

**** shame that Kaaya wasn't out there (even though it was just a 7on7). I'm sl sure we all wanna get some feedback as to how he's handling the transition to college

Advertisement
Back