So you're Mark Richt

Saltycane

Sophomore
Premium
And you come into this season hoping one of your backup QBs steps up and then Perry is suspended the first game of the season and even then you try and get him to focus and he may have to a degree and plays decent in his first few stints but then doesn't (allegedly) put in the work to prepare for Virginia and is utterly confused once he gets out there. You get word from upstairs that Perry is lost and not reading the coverage so you either pull him or he throws up half a dozen picks.

The game is now over and Weldon is suspended, Perry is johnny manziel and not putting in the work (without the results) and Williams may not be there yet (you're not totally sure because he hasn't had much time with the 1s since you were trying to ride Perry).

Who do you go with? Do you reward Perry for not taking this serious? Do you even think about Weldon considering his off the field issues? Do you throw Williams in even though he has not been prepared? Or do you try and ride Malikand hope Perry wakes up to try and save the year? I honestly think MR has no choice and while he is hoping for Perry I am convinced that they will try and find a transfer QB this offseason to help bridge to the Williams era unless Perry just grows up overnight.

Someone close to Perry needs to pull him to side and tell him to start living in the film room or his career may be over, kid has the talent but no QB succeeds without the proper work ethic.

Advertisement
Its not like Perry and Weldon were suspended by the NCAA and Richt got screwed over because of it. Richt knew what the QB situation and willingly shot himself in the foot along with the rest of the team in order to make himself feel morally superior to the elite coaches who work around suspending their players.
So he shouldn't suspend his players if they don't follow team rules or allegedly smoke pot and party and not go to classes? Generally coaches try to curb behavior that may get them kicked off the team.

So if you were the coach you would just hand over the keys to Perry and cross your fingers that he studies the fil mad doesn't get kicked off the team for grades or something else?

Advertisement
And you come into this season hoping one of your backup QBs steps up and then Perry is suspended the first game of the season and even then you try and get him to focus and he may have to a degree and plays decent in his first few stints but then doesn't (allegedly) put in the work to prepare for Virginia and is utterly confused once he gets out there. You get word from upstairs that Perry is lost and not reading the coverage so you either pull him or he throws up half a dozen picks.

The game is now over and Weldon is suspended, Perry is johnny manziel and not putting in the work (without the results) and Williams may not be there yet (you're not totally sure because he hasn't had much time with the 1s since you were trying to ride Perry).

Who do you go with? Do you reward Perry for not taking this serious? Do you even think about Weldon considering his off the field issues? Do you throw Williams in even though he has not been prepared? Or do you try and ride Malikand hope Perry wakes up to try and save the year? I honestly think MR has no choice and while he is hoping for Perry I am convinced that they will try and find a transfer QB this offseason to help bridge to the Williams era unless Perry just grows up overnight.

Someone close to Perry needs to pull him to side and tell him to start living in the film room or his career may be over, kid has the talent but no QB succeeds without the proper work ethic.
So Mark Richt get's a pass on the total dumpster fire on his side of the ball?? Why nothing of this nature is going on on the defense side of the ball? And why is it only with the QBs that we're hearing about multiple people getting in trouble or they're not working hard? Why are we trying to cover for Richt? Or is Richt just making a mountain out of a mold hill just to cover from his lack of developing his QBs??

Lots of questions on the table!!

BC. I’d start Malik and play Perry after second stalled drive
Duke. I’d start Perry.
GT. I’d start Perry. Cade is new #2, and I’d actually design drives for him and play him about three drives
Malik would not see field after BC

I’d call Kendal Briles’s agent to see if he’d like to be OC next season for $600K

If that wasn’t solid, I’d demote my son immediately, and hire Ken Dorsey as OC-QBC. Dorsey can take over play calling in 2020.

So Mark Richt get's a pass on the total dumpster fire on his side of the ball?? Why nothing of this nature is going on on the defense side of the ball? And why is it only with the QBs that we're hearing about multiple people getting in trouble or they're not working hard? Why are we trying to cover for Richt? Or is Richt just making a mountain out of a mold hill just to cover from his lack of developing his QBs??

Lots of questions on the table!!
This ^^
And what about the QB coach, his son Jon Richt??? Why is he not preparing Perry and studying film with him in order to master the reading of defenses adequately?? Does he have or hold any responsibility to the player’s development and learning curve???

I also believe that the new narrative on N’Kosi is fake news. How convenient this supposed conundrum is.

BC. I’d start Malik and play Perry after second stalled drive
Duke. I’d start Perry.
GT. I’d start Perry. Cade is new #2, and I’d actually design drives for him and play him about three drives
Malik would not see field after BC

I’d call Kendal Briles’s agent to see if he’d like to be OC next season for $600K

If that wasn’t solid, I’d demote my son immediately, and hire Ken Dorsey as OC-QBC. Dorsey can take over play calling in 2020.
U are a good poster. 🎯🎯🎯

Advertisement

Maybe if we had a real QB coach instead of an overpaid intern, our QBs would be prepared for games.

Advertisement
s
This ^^
And what about the QB coach, his son Jon Richt??? Why is he not preparing Perry and studying film with him in order to master the reading of defenses adequately?? Does he have or hold any responsibility to the player’s development and learning curve???

I also believe that the new narrative on N’Kosi is fake news. How convenient this supposed conundrum is.
Something is amiss in our qb room and it starts with leadership. Lil Richt ain't cutting it. He's already unqualified, and making too much money for what is essentially an OJT for him.

Richt is making decisions for the best of the team but there are people here who are gonna hate everything he does no matter what. There is a small percentage of posters who are always miserable yet super vocal on the forum. Useless to try and reason with them.

1. He should have went after a transfer QB after last season. It’s not like he didn’t know what he had going into the season. It should not have been a surprise that Rosier doesn’t have the skills to play QB, he should know Perry was not ready.
2. He should have also been recruiting at QB this season after he missed on MJ. We could be in a worse QB situation in the future.
3. He also should not have started Perry, he should have worked him in slowly until he got more experience, which he should now be doing with Williams.
4. After deciding to go with Perry, he should continue to start him. Playing musical chairs with the QB position is a recipe for disaster. Rosier has not practiced with 1s since FIU.
5. He should have done a better job of evaluating and developing the QB position and asked himself “Why are none of the QBs getting better under Jon’s tutalidge?”

Richt is not in this situation because of chance rather because he failed to plan, recruit and develop the QB position. He’s now painted him self into a corner, and is in an impossible situation. Not what you expect from a veteran HC. It really is not that complicated, it’s unacceptable quite frankly.

Advertisement
For all of those blaming everyone but Perry for his "non development" - reading defense etc. - there's a saying that's very applicable here:

"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"

Laugh all you want. The kid has been on campus since June/July 2017. It was obvious pretty early on from everything I have read that he was VERY lacking in football IQ. Particularly where it relates to reading the defense. He has been in practice and in film rooms with not only coaches but other QBs. By his own words, Malik has continually helped him both on the sidelines and in camp/practice, understand what he is seeing. He has always known what the opportunity is - to be the starting QB- and he has always known what he needed to do to get there. At what point does he own his performance????? Maybe the fact is he will never be up to the level of understanding that is needed to succeed at this level of football. IDK.

The off field issues are another story. What surprises me the most is there are still problems - especially after the suspension for the LSU game. To me, that should have put on all the light bulbs. No one is saying you can't be a kid and a student as well as a starting QB - but you HAVE to use discretion. And be smart. It almost seems like he doesn't care.

IMO, it's time for him to own his career. No more excuses. And no more putting blame on everyone else.

Richt is making decisions for the best of the team but there are people here who are gonna hate everything he does no matter what. There is a small percentage of posters who are always miserable yet super vocal on the forum. Useless to try and reason with them.

You can’t say that w straight face w his QB coach choice

He looked pretty prepared against Florida State. Now he gets pulled against Virginia in a knee-jerk reaction and we are back to defaming the kid. What he needs to do is keep his head straight and not let the bull**** get to him because his competition will afford him another opportunity to take the job back.

Start Perry. He either sinks or swims. We know what Malik is and we aren’t accomplishing any of our goals with him back there.

I’m not sure what’s going on with Jarren but if Perry fails miserably and consistently, then give Williams some snaps to let him get a feel before 2019 and UF week 1.

Advertisement
Back