So we gonna act like Gus isn't starting for Rutgers?

Advertisement
Here is a good article on Gus Edwards transition to RU.

Gus Edwards is beginning to stand out at running back for RU

Has Gus finally learned how to run behind his pads and use his strength or is this just the difference of Opinion between Coaching Staff's?

This is what his Rutgers HC & OC had to say

“Gus Edwards really stood out. He is a physical guy at running back," Ash said on Monday. "He runs the ball really hard. I am excited about what I have seen from him. It’s tough to measure a running back until they get in live situations. His first live situation was down on the goal line and he did a nice job.”

On the set of BTN Live on Tuesday evening, Ash echoed his sentiments and elaborated even further on what he likes in Edwards.

"We had a short yardage scrimmage the other day and man, he runs the ball hard," the second year head man said. "He runs the ball behind his pads, gets low, and carries people. He's going to really help us in our running game."

"He's one of those guys that's going to put his left or right foot in the ground and get north and south immediately," Griffith said. "You think about when (offensive coordinator) Jerry Kill has been able to work with over his career, and (Edwards) fits right into that mold and being able to move the chains. He's going to be one of those guys when it comes down to the fourth quarter, nobody wants to tackle him because he's a physical runner and does a good job catching the ball out of the backfield as well."

On the set, Kill said he hasn't had a powerful running back like Edwards "in a long time."

As it stands right now, it looks like Edwards, who has taken first team reps lately in camp, will start game one at home against Washington come Sept. 1. However, no official depth chart has been released and no starter has been named. It'll be interesting to see if Martin can shake off his ailments. No matter what, he'll get a chance to tote the rock considering he's also received much-deserved reps with the first team and the fact that all the tailbacks offer different skillsets.

If I recall the complaint about Edwards was that he danced to much in the Backfield, that he ran upright, and he didn't use his strength?

Gus can pick up one yard everytime! (Unless it's 3rd and 1)

Except he averaged > 5 ypc, and a TD every 16 touches, and ran Just at a 4.52 at about 230 lbs.

Didn't he do more than 100 of his 290 rushing yards and his only TD of the season against FAMU last year?

290 on 59 carries on season. 4.9 yards per carry (But hey that's just barely less than 500% more ypc than you said).

And why are hating on the kid so much? He played here four years. Was serviceable and would fill a need for FB this year and provide depth?

But hate away for no reason

Sure outside of FAMU he ran for 184 yards on 50 attempts with Zero touchdowns. But that's the thing about stats. They don't show all the short yardage failures in real games.

So 1 yard per carry doesn't mean every time then? It means only the year coming back from a broken foot and also not the FAMU game?

What are you trying to prove? That you hate Gus Edwards? Mission accomplished.

Or maybe you came in to make fun of the Vern thread? And if so, isn't that ironic?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Except he averaged > 5 ypc, and a TD every 16 touches, and ran Just at a 4.52 at about 230 lbs.

Didn't he do more than 100 of his 290 rushing yards and his only TD of the season against FAMU last year?

290 on 59 carries on season. 4.9 yards per carry (But hey that's just barely less than 500% more ypc than you said).

And why are hating on the kid so much? He played here four years. Was serviceable and would fill a need for FB this year and provide depth?

But hate away for no reason

Sure outside of FAMU he ran for 184 yards on 50 attempts with Zero touchdowns. But that's the thing about stats. They don't show all the short yardage failures in real games.

So 1 yard per carry doesn't mean every time then? It means only the year coming back from a broken foot and also not the FAMU game?

What are you trying to prove? That you hate Gus Edwards? Mission accomplished.

Or maybe you came in to make fun of the Vern thread? And if so, isn't that ironic?

I said he's good for a yard unless you need a yard. You took that too seriously but the point remains that he isn't special. He also wasn't good on third and short which is what you hope your "big back" can do for ya. Chill out Gus, you might end up on an NFL scout team with Yearby

More signs that Miami is back. Our scrubs become starters at Rutgers, UCLA, Houston, and West Virginia.

Advertisement
I think Gus is going to have a good year. Hoping to see him do well.

But Rutgers had the worst offense in the NCAA last year, so there's not much talent around him to help him out.

Advertisement
Personally I liked Gus when he was here.
Having said that, I am acting like Gus isn't starting for Rutgers. Do you have any problem with that Vern?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Advertisement
I give this thread some credit. The thought of Blackvern staying up to 3am to catch the reply of Rutgers games on The Big Ten Network is quite amusing.

Why are so many hating on Gus? Has everyone forgotten he was the projected starter for us until he broke his foot? I know it was under Golden but still. Coach Brown acknowledged that personally messed up and didn't give him a bigger role in the offense earlier on last season. Also, he is playing for Rutgers because we denied his transfer to Cuse and Pitt. I understand the animosity with him transferring and leaving us thin at the position so why not just be honest about it? We really could have used him this year but he did what he felt was best for him with his eligibility running out.

He should be starting for Rutgers. He had a scholarship from the U and transferred out to a smaller/lesser program to get meaningful carries and try and get himself recognized. That's sort of how this is supposed to work.

He's a puzzy like Linder. Can't compete, go to a lesser school. That is the reason we sucked for ten years. The kids weren't competitive enough and looked for the easy way out. Like Richt says, not everyone U material...and that includes mental and toughnesss, and competitiveness

Advertisement
Back