Sit Morris

lol you QB coaches are something else..... every missed throw can be spun as a bad read.

you said you can find 10 "bad throws he made" well he only missed 11 throws out of 28 passes.

I bet i can find more good throws then bad throws he made this game...... if Miami is winning the QB has something to do w/ that, and he definitely did in this game.

Well, let's up the ante. I bet you I can find you 16 bad throws.

But you said a couple. You are full of it. Keep defending him, his stats are comparable to Jacory at this point.

whose full of it? I think the one complaining about 11 missed passes out of 28.

he made every throw you all were complaining about all season.... he hit both TEs over the middle and on the sideline, he checked down, and he made his usual NFL throws, then he made smart decisions w/ the ball.

He didnt throw for 400 yards obviously b/c Wake took the deep ball out the game defensively and guess what he did, dinked and dunked played smart instead of trying to force bad throws. Some throws he missed but i dont care.

I'm complaining about more than just 11 passes.

But you know what the funny part is, you chastise people as arm chair QBs, but I have yet to see you Cmar the joint up and post your resume justifying your opinion on QBs. So lacking same, make specific references to all these great throws he made, because today he made some real poor reads, threw the ball very averagely, and had at least 3 completions that were poorly thrown.

Stephen Morris TD throw was a great throw, the throw's he made to the TEs were good throws, the one handed catch by Walford wasnt a good throw but it was a good read.

The throw to Malcolm Lewis was a good decision..... the throw he made to Hagens was a good decision. The throws he made to Allen Hurns were great throws etc....

I like how you end up with a lot of "good reads, but not good throws."

Advertisement
Not only did he miss at least 5-7 throws that were just **** poor, including terrible footwork and not stepping into his throws, but he also missed so many reads.

You can yell about his draft status, but he's just not a good QB. He's average, at best.

But if you have to ask what throws he's missed, then clearly your hand is in the sand and you won't acknowledge it. No matter what.

we all know he missed throws.... name a QB that doesnt miss throws.

You all keep chirping about mechanics and foot work so much i'd think that you all were QB coaches. lol

His ankle is always going to be an issue for him for the remainder of his career, he made 17 passes out of 28. 11 misses. How many of those 17 passes were good throws, good mechanics, good footwork, check downs, nice reads, TEs, over the middle.... all of the above?

No one is saying QBs don't miss throws, but you keep straw-manning the argument.

Do you want to go through the reads he missed, because if you want to be fair go through those as well. Did you see the one hander by Walford over the middle? That was a pretty bad throw. He also threw it behind a few receivers on completions, negating their ability to run with it.

He's an average QB. Nothing more, nothing less. He won't be anything special on this level or the next.

i'm not the one straw manning..... you all are harping on a couple of bad throws out of the 11 he missed.

The 1 handed catch you're talking about, good job good effort..... Ebron saved Brenner on his 1 handed catch, Winston gets "saved" every game by his receivers constantly making acrobatic catches.

But when it's Morris its just one more strike against him right?

A couple bad throws? I can find 10 bad throws he made, easily. And that includes bad reads.

I rarely agree with zone on here but 'nope' you sound ridiculous. So does everyone bashing Morris in this thread. So what, hes not the GOAT... He's 7-0..he didn't have any turnovers today in a crucial close game, hes a team leader, and he made some excellent throws today

You're setting him up to fail if youre expecting him to be perfect. Every qb Misses reads, morris has proven himself to the team, the coaches, and all of us (competent) fans over the course of the last two years

-I will say that Morris missed some open receivers, but I don't know a QB who doesn't. He didn't have a great game. He did make throws off his back foot. But relax. He actually didn't look that bad bad this game. He did not turn it over. He made some good plays too. You are over-analyzing every single movement he makes. If you watched other qbs as tightly as you watch morris and come up with pre conceived bias with them, you will find that all except the elite qbs make mistakes too. Go watch Hundley or Murray or Metzenberger (all guys ESPN hypes up) and see if they don't make some mistakes.

-I love when people say he missed the read. How exactly do you know what the read is unless you know the playbook? You don't even know who the primary receiver is on the play unless you know the play call or its a quick route. So please stop with you know he missed the read.

-We ran 4 passing plays in the first half where a WR coming from the outside or the slot runs inside to the middle of the field on a slant, drag, cross, etc. People keep saying we don't throw to the middle because he's not making the read or he is scared. Wrong, he is not throwing to the middle, because we are not calling plays there. Everything Coley wants to run is streaks or plays to the outside. Morris is throwing lots of deep balls, because that is the play call. This is turning into Whipple all over again.

-People are acting ridiculous that the coaches are taking the game out of his hands in the end. How about the fact that its called clock control. We are running the ball at the end continuously because that is what you should do. When you take the lead in a close game near the end of the 4th quarter, would you rather them have 4 min on the clock or 1 minute?

we all know he missed throws.... name a QB that doesnt miss throws.

You all keep chirping about mechanics and foot work so much i'd think that you all were QB coaches. lol

His ankle is always going to be an issue for him for the remainder of his career, he made 17 passes out of 28. 11 misses. How many of those 17 passes were good throws, good mechanics, good footwork, check downs, nice reads, TEs, over the middle.... all of the above?

No one is saying QBs don't miss throws, but you keep straw-manning the argument.

Do you want to go through the reads he missed, because if you want to be fair go through those as well. Did you see the one hander by Walford over the middle? That was a pretty bad throw. He also threw it behind a few receivers on completions, negating their ability to run with it.

He's an average QB. Nothing more, nothing less. He won't be anything special on this level or the next.

i'm not the one straw manning..... you all are harping on a couple of bad throws out of the 11 he missed.

The 1 handed catch you're talking about, good job good effort..... Ebron saved Brenner on his 1 handed catch, Winston gets "saved" every game by his receivers constantly making acrobatic catches.

A couple bad throws? I can find 10 bad throws he made, easily. And that includes bad reads.

I rarely agree with zone on here but 'nope' you sound ridiculous. So does everyone bashing Morris in this thread. So what, hes not the GOAT... He's 7-0..he didn't have any turnovers today in a crucial close game, hes a team leader, and he made some excellent throws today

You're setting him up to fail if youre expecting him to be perfect. Every qb Misses reads, morris has proven himself to the team, the coaches, and all of us (competent) fans over the course of the last two years

No one is setting him up to fail, or hoping for him to be perfect.

So is it your position that he isn't an average quarterback?

Minus a few throws off of his back foot, he played well. Seems like the coaches have been stressing to him "to live to see another play", or throw the ball away versus forcing throws. He didn't force any today. Hope his ankle gets healthier and he tightens his mechanics.

Advertisement

He is inconsistent. He can be very good as we all saw last year. He can have bad games too. Realistically, he has only had 2 bad games this year. UNC and Florida (arguably the best defense in college football at the time) and against Florida he made 2 huge passes that ultimately are the reason we won those games. This wake game was average at best or worst. Did he look real good this game, no, but he didn't look bad either.

He is inconsistent. He can be very good as we all saw last year. He can have bad games too. Realistically, he has only had 2 bad games this year. UNC and Florida (arguably the best defense in college football at the time) and against Florida he made 2 huge passes that ultimately are the reason we won those games. This wake game was average at best or worst. Did he look real good this game, no, but he didn't look bad either.

You don't have good, inconsistent quarterbacks. You are right. He's inconsistent. He's very average. His TD-INT ratio is pretty poor, he makes some good reads and throws, makes some bad reads and throws. He's nothing special. He's not a top 20 quarterback and he's not the reason we have "won" any big games. For all the arguments that he "won" the Florida game for us, I'm pretty sure the defense has a better argument for winning it.

For what he is, all I want is Craig Krenzel performances from him. Don't lose us games. That's the least you can expect or want out of an average quarterback.

I'd enjoy some actual factual arguments as to how he compares to objective markers as to what makes a great-good-quarterback.

because coach Coley refuses to put him under center. Maybe if we start Ryan Williams we can convince coach Coley to realize that UM currently has a dominant offensive roster to run a pro set offense. Coach Coley's insistance on running a shotgun spread offense are going to cost us games down the stretch. Remember, none of these games mean anything towards winning the coastal. Nor will the FSU game, but every game after that does.

Just an FYI SFbay.....all ACC games count against our conference record, not just those in our division. This loss would have made it impossible for us to win the Coastal (unless we beat FSU). VT prob. won't lose another conference game (don't play Clemson or FSU). That would leave us with Two conference losses and VT with one, which would prevent us from the conf. champ. game even with beating VT head to head.

LOL. THEY DON'T PLAY CLEMSON OR FSU....BUY THEY DO PLAY DUKE.

Advertisement
@nope44 ..... Stephen Morris TD/INt ration is "pretty poor" b/c of 1 game where he threw 4 interceptions.

If he was on the field earlier in the season for most of the game i'm sure he'd have padded his stats a little bit more.

Stephen Morris is inconsistent... but so what, he gets it done.

Every QB in cfb this year is very inconsistent except for Mariota, Manziel (even he will throw a couple of INTs), and Winston. Maybe Derek Carr, but you're grasping at straws trying to make a pointless argument.

This entire thread is ridiculous.... "SIT MORRIS" GTFOH

Is this really going to be an every week topic? Some of you either don't analyze the game very well or have a hard time seeing the bigger picture.

We're completely invested in Morris at this point, for better or worse. You can't just throw Williams to the wolves the week of FSU, AT FSU.

Root for our poor man's Jeff George. Learn to accept/live with the ups and downs. The 20 yard out patterns thrown on a rope followed by an overthrow on a wide open receiver in the flat only 5 yards away. That's who he is and NOTHING is going to change that at this point.

History has shown he's erratic and streaky. Last year he got hot down the stretch....pray history repeats itself. For better or worse this is the chick you're taking to prom.

@nope44 ..... Stephen Morris TD/INt ration is "pretty poor" b/c of 1 game where he threw 4 interceptions.

If he was on the field earlier in the season for most of the game i'm sure he'd have padded his stats a little bit more.

Every QB in cfb this year is very inconsistent except for Mariota, Manziel (even he will throw a couple of INTs), and Winston. Maybe Derek Carr, but you're grasping at straws trying to make a pointless argument.

I'm not saying sit him. But just because you don't sit him doesn't absolve him from being a run of the mill quarterback.

And that's what he is. I know you are having a hard time acknowledging it considering you are elsewhere saying he is better than Mettenberger and McCarron, but the sooner you come to terms with the fact that he is just an average QB, the sooner you realize just how important it is for our team to run the ball effectively and put him in a position like UF where his job is to just not lose us games. Just be Craig Krenzel.

And if we play the ifs game, maybe "if" he never injured his ankle this or last year he'd be better. And maybe, just maybe if he was out of the year Ryan Williams would have comparable stats. Maybe not. Let's just sit with what we have.

Morris will be our highest drafted QB since Walsh in 1988. The team is having its best season in at least a decade. But he sucks. I know how this fanbase treats quarterbacks, so I'm not surprised. But it's disappointing.

I appreciate what you're doing, but your arguments are weak here. I don't think anyone cares that Morris will be drafted higher than Kyle Wright or Ryan Clement or any of the other floundering mopes who have stumbled through here the past 20 years. We care that he's flailing badly right now and has been for a few weeks, and if you didn't see it today, then we're all watching a different game than you are.

I don't think Morris sucks; I just think he's very average and not the kind of guy you can rely on. It's pretty clear that when the chips are down and the team absolutely needs to score the football, the coaches are taking it out of his hands.

Advertisement

I'm not saying sit him. But just because you don't sit him doesn't absolve him from being a run of the mill quarterback.

And that's what he is. I know you are having a hard time acknowledging it considering you are elsewhere saying he is better than Mettenberger and McCarron, but the sooner you come to terms with the fact that he is just an average QB, the sooner you realize just how important it is for our team to run the ball effectively and put him in a position like UF where his job is to just not lose us games. Just be Craig Krenzel.

And if we play the ifs game, maybe "if" he never injured his ankle this or last year he'd be better. And maybe, just maybe if he was out of the year Ryan Williams would have comparable stats. Maybe not. Let's just sit with what we have.

this is exactly my sentiment. the only thing exceptional about morris is his insanely strong arm and everything else is average. i want him to get better because we need him to get better.

You are saying he's an average QB, i'm saying he's a good QB, most are saying they want Ryan Williams to start. smh

Running the ball w/ Duke Johnson in the 4th to run the clock out is the smartest thing to do w/ any QB... i thought not running the ball was the problem we had w/ our previous OC's???

If that's whats working b/c the defense isnt giving you the deep ball then why force it??.... You dont want him to force throws when he does do it but then you want to force him to throw it when he's not doing it. double edge sword for Morris w/ this fan base.

My thing is ppl are placing the score purely on Morris..... Dallas Crawford didnt convert a 4th and 1 when the offense was driving up the field. Also the kicker missed a FG today.

that's 10 points Miami couldve had on the score board from those drives...... Those were things that Stephen Morris had to shake off and move on from as well....

The misses today are irrelevant to the final score. The defense still gave up a lousy TD in the 2nd half.

Morris will be our highest drafted QB since Walsh in 1988. The team is having its best season in at least a decade. But he sucks. I know how this fanbase treats quarterbacks, so I'm not surprised. But it's disappointing.

I appreciate what you're doing, but your arguments are weak here. I don't think anyone cares that Morris will be drafted higher than Kyle Wright or Ryan Clement or any of the other floundering mopes who have stumbled through here the past 20 years. We care that he's flailing badly right now and has been for a few weeks, and if you didn't see it today, then we're all watching a different game than you are.

I don't think Morris sucks; I just think he's very average and not the kind of guy you can rely on. It's pretty clear that when the chips are down and the team absolutely needs to score the football, the coaches are taking it out of his hands.

I need to rewatch today's game sober, because obviously most saw this one different than I did. I saw a timid performance, not an atrocious one.

I will say this: the term "average quarterback" gets thrown around too much. Even after that debacle against UNC, Morris is still Top 25 in the nation in passing efficiency (he was Top 10 before that). He will be one of a few quarterbacks in the country that gets drafted. The objective evidence doesn't suggest he's average. There are a lot of quarterbacks in CFB, and very few are capable of doing the things Morris can do.

Still a lot of football left for him to write his legacy.

Advertisement

It's pretty clear that when the chips are down and the team absolutely needs to score the football, the coaches are taking it out of his hands.

This is incorrect. There are plenty of things to say about Morris' performance, but this argument isn't one of them. With 4 mins left to score a TD to take the lead, as we've had each of the last 2 games, there's no reason to throw the ball if you're moving the chains on the ground. Morris completed a few very big passes in that drive against UNC, but it wasn't needed today (and he played a lot better today than he did against UNC). It has nothing to do with the coaches taking the ball out of his hands when we have to score. It's the coaches doing absolutely the right thing by moving the chains and burning clock.

I need to rewatch today's game sober, because obviously most saw this one different than I did. I saw a timid performance, not an atrocious one.

I will say this: the term "average quarterback" gets thrown around too much. Even after that debacle against UNC, Morris is still Top 25 in the nation in passing efficiency (he was Top 10 before that). He will be one of a few quarterbacks in the country that gets drafted. The objective evidence doesn't suggest he's average. There are a lot of quarterbacks in CFB, and very few are capable of doing the things Morris can do.

Still a lot of football left for him to write his legacy.

Interesting you say that, because Jacory ended up top 20 in efficiency.

I guess the barometer is defining average and how you arrive at it, whether plain stats or just comparing him to 130+ other quarterbacks.

Bottom line is Morris is 7-0 and he will and should start next week.

He is a highly inconsistent quarterback. He is certainly not an accurate passer as we have seen over the last two years and his pocket presence is certainly lacking. This limits the ability to call a lot of plays over the middle. All of that said, I expect him ( and the team) to be exposed next week against FSU although I pray I'm wrong. I seriously question anybody defending his performance over the last three weeks beyond his record.

Advertisement
Back