Since '99

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Used to be a member of the original "Grassy" board. I remember the incredible excitement around Vernon Carey and Andre Johnson in '99. Dorsey, Andre Johnson, Carey, Portis and Mckinnie were all part of that class. I remember thinking Jason Geathers was going to be a superstar, too. Mo Sikes had finished dominating at Pace.

I'm not saying the 2017 class will produce the same results, because we have no real idea, but it's been a really long time since there is a collective "holy ****, is this really turning around" on the message boards for die hards.

If things go mostly as planned and rumored, this may be the most spectacular recruiting finish in the history of the Miami Hurricanes football program. Last step would be to execute with the abundance of talent coming in.

Advertisement
**** Lu. Big statement, especially coming from you. Squad 17 bout to put this U back on the map

Randy's NW class was pretty hyped. But did not live up to expectations. Also remember one class that Coker had that was loaded with highly rated guys (the DE from Wisconsin; LB/FB from PA); that flopped too.

But we haven't had a class like this in a long time.

Advertisement
Used to be a member of the original "Grassy" board. I remember the incredible excitement around Vernon Carey and Andre Johnson in '99. Dorsey, Andre Johnson, Carey, Portis and Mckinnie were all part of that class. I remember thinking Jason Geathers was going to be a superstar, too. Mo Sikes had finished dominating at Pace.

I'm not saying the 2017 class will produce the same results, because we have no real idea, but it's been a really long time since there is a collective "holy ****, is this really turning around" on the message boards for die hards.

If things go mostly as planned and rumored, this may be the most spectacular recruiting finish in the history of the Miami Hurricanes football program. Last step would be to execute with the abundance of talent coming in.

I remember you over there with Randomwalk, Bakas, and many others. I agree completely.

well.... 2008 was #1 and turned out to be a wet fart.

nice contribution.

your lack of critical analysis should cause you to be banned for life.

The OP is not talking about great classes, but about the turnaround of a program based on a great class and the tangible sense of something good developing.

This will join our trophy case in less than 3 years.

NCAA-College-football-playoffs-trophy.jpg

Advertisement
Agree, but I think even more so is the combination of 2016 and 2017. If we had whiffed on those linebackers, Shoeless, Malek, etc. last year, I don't think this year means as much. And if 2018 really shapes up to its potential...

We put all our eggs in one basket with those hyped-to-death NW boys. This year we've diversified well and most importantly, we've got a **** football coach.

Yep, but a lot of the members were basically a foregone conclusion. A good amount of elite prospects are coming on toward the end here. Hence, "finish." I thought back about 3 decades and can't remember something like this. Guys like [MENTION=608]MedleyCane[/MENTION] might be able to shine some light.

Here's to Richt and staff coaching these young men up and adding #6 to the trophy case.

The late 90's were crazy on Grassy. That's when I first started following recruiting. Actually randomly called Harry Rothwell(he doesn't know me from Adam) to confirm Carey's committment. It all turned out for the best.

Go Canes!

Advertisement

I remember you over there with Randomwalk, Bakas, and many others. I agree completely.
Right. That was already Canestime. I was actually still playing football in HS when I'd read guys like MedleyCane (diff name back then), AUCane, DeisCane, Franchise, TheSwagger, Dynasty and so many others in the late 90s. That original grassy website was nuts. You had a bunch of legitimate freak die hards basically bottled up on a single board reviewing Recruiting magazines and newspaper articles.

About 20 years later, I just now felt that "****, is this really turning around again?" Because when Coker pulled his big class, we were on top. When we pulled the 2008 class, it was mostly formulated going into January. All of a sudden here, it's raining puzzle pieces in 2017.

Whatever. Just happy to experience this again. Still a lot to be done on the actual field, of course.

Advertisement

Right. That was already Canestime. I was actually still playing football in HS when I'd read guys like MedleyCane (diff name back then), AUCane, DeisCane, Franchise, TheSwagger, Dynasty and so many others in the late 90s. That original grassy website was nuts. You had a bunch of legitimate freak die hards basically bottled up on a single board reviewing Recruiting magazines and newspaper articles.

About 20 years later, I just now felt that "****, is this really turning around again?" Because when Coker pulled his big class, we were on top. When we pulled the 2008 class, it was mostly formulated going into January. All of a sudden here, it's raining puzzle pieces in 2017.

Whatever. Just happy to experience this again. Still a lot to be done on the actual field, of course.

This site is so much better, especially when things are going well... AND we don't pay $8.99 per month! :)

Randy's NW class was pretty hyped. But did not live up to expectations. Also remember one class that Coker had that was loaded with highly rated guys (the DE from Wisconsin; LB/FB from PA); that flopped too.

But we haven't had a class like this in a long time.

That Coker class was the James Bryant, Willie Williams, et al year. It was a glimmer of hope that quickly became a dagger to the heart. For all the accolades in that class, we ended up starting Romeo Davis and Glen Cook as most of them fizzled out.

Advertisement
Back