Signs of hope

We underachieved, but there is clearly reason for hope, which is something we haven't had in many years.

You can underachieve at times during a season and still feel good about some areas of progress. Look at USC if you can't grasp that concept.

The hope for me doesn't stem from not getting blown out. That's goofy. The hope stems from the defense, Rick getting the team emotionally invested enough to keep battling after the dreadful October (this can't be underestimated because almost everyone on here aside from Liberty City El, me and a few others thought we'd keep losing after ND), and Rick showing the willingness to change that obviously dysfunctional RPO system (he did it too late but he did it which is something a dumb stubborn HC wouldn't do).

It was obvious to some of us pretty early that the RPO system didn't fit Kaaya's skill set and shouldn't have been such a heavy part of our offense. But at least he changed, which is something we haven't seen here in a hundred years.

I tried to upvote a 100x but didn't work! Great job Chise and thank you for being a voice for some of US that just can't put it together

Like you can, thank you!

Advertisement
We underachieved, but there is clearly reason for hope, which is something we haven't had in many years.

I agree. I think if we can win this bowl game and make some changes, at least were building momentum and heading in the right direction.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Oh I see, you're enamored with Justin Fuente. The same Fuente who lost to Georgia Tech, Syracuse, and Tennessee.

Yes, he improved their record but still lost three games. Should have lost to ND also. But their QB isn't a choking dog like ours.

Yes "enamored". No, he just proves that you can come in and win the awful coastal in year one.

Fuente also beat UNC and went 6-2 in the coastal. How come you didn't bring that up?

He also beat Richt bad. How come you didn't bring that up?

They also have vastly inferior talent overall, how come you didn't bring that up?

I agree with a number of your general points. The losses to FSU, UNC and ND were maddening especially given that our defense was far from the liability we assumed in the offseason.

That said Fuente wasn't taking over a program that was run like a dumpster fire for the past decade and a half. I'd have taken 15 years of Beamer Ball over our Cokerization, Corch Shannon and Golden Showers era. Better players? Sure, but we have not been a better program.

The way I see it, this is the first time in 5 years that I don't have a bad taste in my mouth after the regular season.

Excited to see what changes we make and how we move forward. ALl we need is to win whatever bowl game they toss us in and carry it to Crootin season

Advertisement
Run.the.ball.more.

111th in attempts per game, 85th in yards per game, 55th in yards per carry.

It is the same issue I've had under numerous offensive coordinators and head coaches. This is the University of Miami where running backs should be the feature of the offense, not complimentary. In today's college football, to compete with the big boys, running in volume is mandatory and the other statistics rise by proxy.

Oh I see, you're enamored with Justin Fuente. The same Fuente who lost to Georgia Tech, Syracuse, and Tennessee.

Yes, he improved their record but still lost three games. Should have lost to ND also. But their QB isn't a choking dog like ours.

Yes "enamored". No, he just proves that you can come in and win the awful coastal in year one.

Fuente also beat UNC and went 6-2 in the coastal. How come you didn't bring that up?

They also have vastly inferior talent overall, how come you didn't bring that up?

I agree with a number of your general points. The losses to FSU, UNC and ND were maddening especially given that our defense was far from the liability we assumed in the offseason.

That said Fuente wasn't taking over a program that was run like a dumpster fire for the past decade and a half. I'd have taken 15 years of Beamer Ball over our Cokerization, Corch Shannon and Golden Showers era. Better players? Sure, but we have not been a better program.

VT wasn't a dumpster fire but they haven't had a relevant season in some time.

In the 3 years prior to Fuente (2013-15), VT went 22-17 (12-12).

In the 3 years prior to Richt (2013-15), Miami went 23-16 (13-11).

We have had some of the worst coaching during that time and we have a better record.

Yup. Record doesn't tell the whole story. Bobby Bowden once said, "Lose big, lose small, win small, win big". We lost three VERY close games, which last year would have been, like you said, at least a couple blowouts. We jumped from lose big to lose small in one year, and that is a major step forward.

I think back to 1999. We lost 3 in a row, all close games, and got whooped at VT. We all know how those close losses turned into wins the next year. I can see this team winning some of those close games next year.
I don't know why 8 wins makes a team "decent". I don't know why it is an accomplishment to beat a "decent" team either.

In case you've been in a coma, we've sucked balls for over a decade. Beating decent teams is a step in the direction to get back to where we used to be. How many 8/9 win teams did Golden beat?

So outperforming chit is an accomplishment, interesting.

Side note: In case you've been in a coma, we went 8-4 during the regular season last year against a harder schedule and they had essentially no coaching.

we also lost by 58 one game, and basically 50 another game

but you go ahead and leave that part out

VT wasn't a dumpster fire but they haven't had a relevant season in some time.

In the 3 years prior to Fuente (2013-15), VT went 22-17 (12-12).

In the 3 years prior to Richt (2013-15), Miami went 23-16 (13-11).

We have had some of the worst coaching during that time and we have a better record.

Relative to where our University is situated vs Blacksburg there is no question Beamer was running a better program. Our 2013 and 2014 teams had a minimum of 5 NFL players on those rosters and we had losing seasons. Fuente has an easier turnaround. Our coach had to pony up $1 million to prove how badly we needed facilities.

You're cherry picking the last few years of a great coaches career. Look at VT over the entire post 2001 era vs ours. How many ACC titles did they compete for? How many bowl games did they make and win? How many Orange Bowls, etc?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back