Signs of hope

Advertisement
what is encouraging to me is the dline. lb units. they are so young. yet so talented. u got 3 true freshman at lb, u got a true freshman in joe Jackson leading team in sacks at de, u got 2 sophmores in McIntosh and Norton at dt, these kids are only gonna get better. October stretch sucked, should of won fsu game but once we lost that the last few years Miami always has trouble bouncing back. pitt nc state and even Georgia tech are actually solid teams

duke not so much but nc state should of beat Clemson. and fsu, and we blew them out and they beat north Carolina, the Carolina and notre dame games are ones we let get away. vt team was so beat up not surprised lot but the oline also played like crap in those games. in games the oline was solid to great the team won. when the oline got beat time and time again the canes lost.

truth is this team went as the o line went. Donaldson should help the oline, I hope we also get some of the other tackles we are after and hope the lsu transfer can make a dent at tackle if that happens the olne should be much improved next year. expecially if u can move darlng and McDermott inside for good.

Hope...I think Ive heard this for goin on 9 straight years...

you have to start somewhere. most people expected Miami to have trouble with the October stretch. people forget north Carolina almost won acc title last year when went 11-2 that's not a bad loss like some on here think neither was fsu, even though we should of won that game ,

the hope for me comes from fact we have a coach who has a history of winning 10 or more games. we finally have a coach with a legit track record, not only in recruiting but in winning at a power 5 school. yes we hoped but the hope with richt is different in that we know we have a legit coach for the first time since butch left.

Jesus, Consigliere is a man possessed. Maybe if you post enough, people will all of a sudden not feel good about our 4 game winning streak anymore. I'm awful confused in what your goal is? I don't see anyone saying this season was a resounding success, just that the last 4 games give reason for optimism going forward. Why are you so adamantly against that?

My posts are clear. I am disappointed at our performance this year on offense. I am disappointed at our performance in those 4 losses. I am amazed that people don't see Fuente at VT and go how come they can do it in year 1? This team had the talent to win more games and the coastal.

I am hopeful that Richt realizes where the major issue lies and that he fixes it this off-season.

So click ignore and/or down vote if you don't like it.

VTech won one additional game. Let's stop pretending that they are playing for a spot in the playoffs next week. They aren't. Miami finished one game behind, and shouldn't have(The UNC and FSU losses were killers, no excuse for dropping those two games). Then again, I don't think VT also lost their two best defensive players a week before the season started either. That said, this "Woe is Me" nonsense from this fanbase is tiring. We all know there are things that have to be fixed, but one has to also look at the positives that came from this season. For the first time in over a decade, Miami finished a season strongly, they faced some adversity and came out the other side. With a bowl win, and a legit recruiting class, this team will be in position to make a legit run at an ACC Title next year. I don't think that Richt will sit pat on his staff, he will try to upgrade when he can, and reassign people if need be.

Hope...I think Ive heard this for goin on 9 straight years...

I feel you but which one of those 9 seasons ended with 4 wins in which the Canes played solid football on all phases and finished strong in each.

Consider that as bad as the offense looked we were close and should have pulled out the games against FSU,UNC & ND and its unlike any of those seasons.

Under both Shannon and Golden we laid some big time eggs late in the year.

Advertisement
I don't know why 8 wins makes a team "decent". I don't know why it is an accomplishment to beat a "decent" team either.

In case you've been in a coma, we've sucked balls for over a decade. Beating decent teams is a step in the direction to get back to where we used to be. How many 8/9 win teams did Golden beat?

So outperforming chit is an accomplishment, interesting.

Side note: In case you've been in a coma, we went 8-4 during the regular season last year against a harder schedule and they had essentially no coaching.

we also lost by 58 one game, and basically 50 another game

but you go ahead and leave that part out

I didn't leave it out. We lost. They were 2 of the 4 losses. Did I say we were 8-2?

Again, we still lost 4 games last year and 4 games this year. Keep celebrating those moral victories!

VTech won one additional game. Let's stop pretending that they are playing for a spot in the playoffs next week. They aren't. Miami finished one game behind, and shouldn't have(The UNC and FSU losses were killers, no excuse for dropping those two games). Then again, I don't think VT also lost their two best defensive players a week before the season started either. That said, this "Woe is Me" nonsense from this fanbase is tiring. We all know there are things that have to be fixed, but one has to also look at the positives that came from this season. For the first time in over a decade, Miami finished a season strongly, they faced some adversity and came out the other side. With a bowl win, and a legit recruiting class, this team will be in position to make a legit run at an ACC Title next year. I don't think that Richt will sit pat on his staff, he will try to upgrade when he can, and reassign people if need be.

When you guys read posts, do you just make up what it says in your head?

First, who said VT did some amazing accomplishment? VT winning the Coastal isn't an amazing accomplishment. It does prove that a first year coach at a program, with inferior talent, can win the Coastal. All the potatoes saying we couldn't do it because it was Richt's first year were proven wrong with that atrocious excuse.

Second, where do you get your stats? Imakeupchit.net? VT went 7-6 (4-4) in 2015. They're 9-3 (6-2) in 2016. That is 2 more wins overall with two games left to play.

Third, Miami finished one game behind them. Congrats, what an accomplishment! We also lost to them!

Fourth, excuses and moral victories. So we almost beat FSU and UNC; "those are as good as wins in my book". Who cares? We ***ing lost. We also ***ing lost to Notre Dame. The Notre Dame that went 4-8 who lost to the following teams that didn't have winning records in the regular season: Duke, NCST, MSU and Texas.

As for the depth excuse and losing players, it didn't seem to stop our defense from doing the following in 2016:

Scoring D: 14th (18.9 PPG)
Total D: 26th (355.1 YPG)

In 2015

Scoring D: 77th (28.2 PPG)
Total D: 69th (404.8 YPG)

So we lose a lot of players on defense, bring in a new DC and the results dramatically improve.

-----

On the offensive side of the equation, we essentially have the same offense as last year. We return 10/11 starters. The difference is we lost R. Scott and have A. Richards (you know, that stud). In our four losses, we averaged 19 points per game. In those four losses, we averaged 328 total yards per game.

Here are the murderers' row of defenses we faced in those games:

FSU

Total D: 29th (357.2 YPG)
Scoring D: 44th (24.4 PPG)

UNC

Total D: 70th (418.5 YPG)
Scoring D: 46th (24.9 PPG)

VT

Total D: 19th (332.2 YPG)
Scoring D: 20th (21.1 PPG)

ND

Total D: 44th (378.8 YPG)
Scoring D: 62nd (27.8 PPG)

To review:

1. One top 25 defense
2. Average Total D is 41st
3. Average Scoring D is 43rd
4. In ACC Play (all 8 opponents), Miami is averaging 29 Points Per Game
5. In ACC Play (all 8 opponents), Miami is averaging 416 Yards Per Game

So essentially the same offense (as last year), is still yielding poor results. Last year's offense was led by James Coley, he is the WR coach at UGA. Last's years offense was bad and we averaged 25 PPG in ACC play. This years offense is slightly less bad. It isn't hard to out perform James Coley, especially when you have an older and more experienced offense.

Random Tidbit: Our best offensive performance in the ACC was against Pitt when we scored 51 points. Pitt is 99th in Total D and 109th in Scoring D. They have the worst D we have played in conference.

Finally, how we finished the season and the "positives" from it.

Yes, we beat our last 4 teams with a combined record of 20-28 (10-22). Not sure why this is an accomplishment. We have had some of the worst coaching since our last BCS game more than a decade ago. I am also not sure why out performing ALbortion, Randy Shannon and Coker is an accomplishment. None of them are employed in an HC capacity. Do you know how bad we have been coached during that time? Simply out performing incompetence isn't an accomplishment.

The funny part is these kids had essentially no coaching last year and finished the regular season with the same 8-4 (5-3) record. Sure that schedule was harder but they were able to finish the regular season with the same record.

As for the "positives", I am impressed with the defense. I think everyone is impressed with the defense. I don't think anything needs to be said about the defense.

As for the offense, it is the main issue with this team. If Richt decides to demote himself and bring in a new competent OC, then there will be some "positive" there. If we go out, win our bowl game and bring in a new OC, there are some positives going into 2017.

The problem is the Coastal was totally doable and should have been done this year. It is difficult to overlook this when the main issue (the play calling) is what held us back. We had more than enough talent to win the Coastal this year and certainly more than VT.

Advertisement
Consigliere putting in OT trying to make sure no one feels good about this team going forward. True fan we have here. So you saw no improvement in the offense or playcalling the last 4 weeks either? Again, I see no one satisfied with our final record just optimistic that things are heading in the right direction. So when Richt doesn't hire an OC, is 2017 just lost in your opinion then? Keep fighting the good fight of trying to **** on the team you're a "fan" of. Maybe you can get more people on your doom and gloom train.

Some of you guys need to get back in the time machine and come back from 90s. It's 2016 and we've been crap for a solid 10 years. No one is lowering their expectations but that doesn't mean you can't happy with the teams performance this year. The losses were disappointing and the offensive play calling head stratching. However Our defense was beast all season. There were doubts about Manny Diaz well it's confirmed he is a beast. And we absolutely routed the "Lessor" teams we played. I think the announcer said yesterday it would be the first time we went undefeated in November since the early 2000s. That's very telling of where the team has been.

It's not the same 8 win seasons we've seen before squeaking by trash squads.
Our margin of victory and points per game are up and points allowed are way down.

Just try to enjoy the ride back to the top.

Last edited:
No one is lowering their expectations but that doesn't mean you can't happy with the teams performance this year.

It's not the same 8 win seasons we've seen before squeaking by trash squads.

We went 8-4 during the regular season last year. Nobody really celebrated then (other then ALbortion being Alborted).

You realize that we played some of the worst trash OOC this year?

Aren't you frustrated when you see what Fuente did this year?

Consigliere putting in OT trying to make sure no one feels good about this team going forward. True fan we have here. So you saw no improvement in the offense or playcalling the last 4 weeks either? Again, I see no one satisfied with our final record just optimistic that things are heading in the right direction. So when Richt doesn't hire an OC, is 2017 just lost in your opinion then? Keep fighting the good fight of trying to **** on the team you're a "fan" of. Maybe you can get more people on your doom and gloom train. ����

Are you able to read? Seriously?

How do you feel about Fuente?

Feel however you want, continue to down vote rather then argue my posts. Go off on a tangent about how I am not a "fan" as well.

Advertisement
We underachieved, but there is clearly reason for hope, which is something we haven't had in many years.

You can underachieve at times during a season and still feel good about some areas of progress. Look at USC if you can't grasp that concept.

The hope for me doesn't stem from not getting blown out. That's goofy. The hope stems from the defense, Rick getting the team emotionally invested enough to keep battling after the dreadful October (this can't be underestimated because almost everyone on here aside from Liberty City El, me and a few others thought we'd keep losing after ND), and Rick showing the willingness to change that obviously dysfunctional RPO system (he did it too late but he did it which is something a dumb stubborn HC wouldn't do).

It was obvious to some of us pretty early that the RPO system didn't fit Kaaya's skill set and shouldn't have been such a heavy part of our offense. But at least he changed, which is something we haven't seen here in a hundred years.

Season showed nothing. The last 4 teams we played were awful.

Next year will tell us what we need to know.

Lack of talent is not an excuse anymore

Pitt and NC St. are actually pretty decent teams.

Pitt is 4th in the Coastal with a 8-4 (5-3) record

NC State is 4th in the Atlantic with a 6-6 (3-5) record

What makes them decent?

Pitt beat psu and Clemson. They are a decent squad.

So 4th in the coastal is decent?

How about NC State?

Beat UNC. Also played UL, Clemson and FSU to the last possession.

But we get it, Miami didn't make the playoffs so they suck. You sound like a puss.

We underachieved, but there is clearly reason for hope, which is something we haven't had in many years.

You can underachieve at times during a season and still feel good about some areas of progress. Look at USC if you can't grasp that concept.

The hope for me doesn't stem from not getting blown out. That's goofy. The hope stems from the defense, Rick getting the team emotionally invested enough to keep battling after the dreadful October (this can't be underestimated because almost everyone on here aside from Liberty City El, me and a few others thought we'd keep losing after ND), and Rick showing the willingness to change that obviously dysfunctional RPO system (he did it too late but he did it which is something a dumb stubborn HC wouldn't do).

It was obvious to some of us pretty early that the RPO system didn't fit Kaaya's skill set and shouldn't have been such a heavy part of our offense. But at least he changed, which is something we haven't seen here in a hundred years.

This. That FSU and UNC games respectively were there to be won. We also came out flat in the first half against ND and could've won that game, but it didn't have any effect on the conference for us.

Having said that, the team looks light years better and you see players getting better. I haven't seen one soul on this forum look giddy about going 8-4. Personally, I predicted 8-9 wins this season, but didn't think it'd come this route. There's optimism to move forward into the bowl game and next year. Also, it looks like there's a possibility we get Arky for the bowl game....so here's to hearing a bunch of toothless rednecks yell out Woo Pig Sooie or whatever it is that they do.

2016 College Football Bowl Projections after Week 13 |

Edit: This is obviously just one of many projections.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Pitt and NC St. are actually pretty decent teams.

Pitt is 4th in the Coastal with a 8-4 (5-3) record

NC State is 4th in the Atlantic with a 6-6 (3-5) record

What makes them decent?

Pitt beat psu and Clemson. They are a decent squad.

So 4th in the coastal is decent?

How about NC State?

Beat UNC. Also played UL, Clemson and FSU to the last possession.

But we get it, Miami didn't make the playoffs so they suck. You sound like a puss.

So losing close games is an accomplishment, good stuff. Moral Victories!!!!

UNC also lost to UGA and Duke. They're not good either. NCST is a nobody, they're not decent. Quit with the bullchit.

I like how you're making chit up to fit your argument. I never said we "suck", I never mentioned the playoffs either. You're probably talking to yourself in your head. I am pointing out how we underachieved this year. That is all.

I can't believe you called me a "puss". That is low.

Last edited:
We covered the Vegas o/u win total. That's gotta be worth something.

Not sure if serious.

you're so clueless that it's border line hysterical at this point

the d line and linebackers that you have heralded as being so much better than last year.. who on the ENTIRE offensive line is even close to that level of talent? That D line is loaded, those freshmen linebackers are future NFL starters

can we just give richt the cowboys offensive line and see if things stay the same?

This offense is NOT talented. Njoku is an athlete at this point, not a tight end. He's a bad blocker who drops a lot of balls. Coley is a joke most of the game and finds a way to set his team back with some stupid penalty every single game. Richards and walton are the only two guys that would even crack a roster on a real canes team.

I'm not even gonna get started on "can't even progress past a first read bard kayak"

All year long he consistently over throws WRs not even 10 yards away from him often times with an absolutely clean pocket

but yeah, richt sucks, his play calling on this over thrown balls are trash.. do continue on sister

you're so clueless that it's border line hysterical at this point

You're not a "border line" potato, you're full blown. You perhaps made the worst porst in the history of canesinsight. In addition, I am pretty sure you had that whole conversation in your head. What does crack taste like?

the d line and linebackers that you have heralded as being so much better than last year.. who on the ENTIRE offensive line is even close to that level of talent? That D line is loaded, those freshmen linebackers are future NFL starters

Where did I post about the D-Line and linebackers recently? Did you have this conversation in your head?

can we just give richt the cowboys offensive line and see if things stay the same?

huh. Does this sound good in your head?

This offense is NOT talented. Njoku is an athlete at this point, not a tight end. He's a bad blocker who drops a lot of balls. Coley is a joke most of the game and finds a way to set his team back with some stupid penalty every single game. Richards and walton are the only two guys that would even crack a roster on a real canes team.

huh. Is there a point?

Advertisement
Back