SIAP, story on Tate Martell and UM offense on ESPN.com...

At the end of the day nothing was settled by the Spring scrimmage so all 3 to me are still in play as starters come 8/24. Do I like Tate’s elusiveness, yes. But I also like Perry’s arm too. Or Williams accuracy. If all three attributes were rolled into one of the QB’s this would be a no brainer. It’s still too early to call this and not only because Manolo and Enos are worried 1-2 will transfer if a starter is named now. It’s from no one being heads and shoulders ahead of the other 2. Let’s see who takes the Summer months the most serious, works on playing under center & out of the shotgun, works on the accuracy, and studies the playbook the most. That’s the guy I want starting against the hated Gayturd - whoever makes the biggest step forward will lead this team to victory.

Advertisement
The idea that any one of the QB's have pulled ahead of the others is comical at best. The idea that Tate, after have one good showing all spring, has somehow magically pulled ahead, is hilarious. The idea that Jarren is somehow completely out of the race because he had one bad showing, is even more hilarious. The idea that Kosi is out of the race because Enos just wants to start "his guy" or because we "saw what he did last year" prior to Enos, is slap your knee funny!

The coaches have routinely and consistently said that the race will carry into the fall, but I guess that is just "coach speak" and we should trust the geniuses on this board to provide us with the "real talk" regarding what is actually going down with the QB battle.

Y'all ma****ers are hilarious!

Auburn got to a national championship with a converted CB (Nick Marshall) as their QB. Tate is a far better QB than he is.

Oregon got to a national championship with Daron Thomas as their QB. Tate is a far better QB than he is.

This is CFB not the NFL.

Tate went 10/10 with 2 TDs against a defense that had the same defensive S&P ranking as Duke. We scored 12 points against Duke, Tate scored that by himself.

The more people try to act like Tate can't play QB the more I laugh. It's funny how many people don't see the writing on the wall.

Urban Meyer, a QB guru, gave this dude a scholarship. He he can play the position.

Nobody is saying that he can't play the position....they ALL have flaws and each has their own strengths....all anyone who is not riding a **** is saying is that NO ONE is a shoo-in, guaranteed the job or an outright leader now.

There is NO writing on the wall. Whatever you may be trying to sell

You bring up Urban like that's the last word in QB selection.....Urban Meyer, a QB guru and his replacements ALSO told Tate to take his "QB talent" somewhere else.

But we're all glad he's here.

The Competition has made ALL three better. Miami wins regardless of who is chosen. That's all I care about. Hearing Diaz say that the position is now a position of strength makes any Cane happy

As for the other "QB comparison's".....We don't have the OL Auburn or Oregon had..... and just in case you don't know it.....we're running Enos' offense here ....not Auburn's or Oregon's.....so these comparisons make no sense to anyone ....except maybe to you🙄

They all started evenly in this competition, all having to learn this new offense ...so may the best man win......Frankly I hope whoever wins it .....wins it BIG .....so there is no doubt who's #1.

It will be determined as the coaches said ....this summer based on their results in practice....by Enos and Diaz

It will play out however it plays out ....and the QB selection will be based on performance within the offense Enos' is installing here....Not imaginary comparisons with other QBs operating in other systems ......made by **** riders with their own agendas.

Last edited:
The idea that any one of the QB's have pulled ahead of the others is comical at best. The idea that Tate, after have one good showing all spring, has somehow magically pulled ahead, is hilarious. The idea that Jarren is somehow completely out of the race because he had one bad showing, is even more hilarious. The idea that Kosi is out of the race because Enos just wants to start "his guy" or because we "saw what he did last year" prior to Enos, is slap your knee funny!

The coaches have routinely and consistently said that the race will carry into the fall, but I guess that is just "coach speak" and we should trust the geniuses on this board to provide us with the "real talk" regarding what is actually going down with the QB battle.

Personally, I don't see how any of these QBs have "pulled ahead". I think Tate Martell after a slow start has started to put things together and has momentum heading into summer workouts. I think Perry has always had the tools. He just needed a good QB coach and some maturity. Enos has given him the coaching and by all accounts, Perry is much more focused and is embracing the responsibilities that come with his position. I think that Jarren Williams is the best pure passer of the bunch and like Perry he desperately needed competent coaching and someone capable of developing his skills. Enos has been that guy and I believe Jarren has responded well. Jarren just needs more reps as he for all practical intents and purposes has zero live game experience.

As for posters on the board saying that so and so is in the lead and that so and so is out of it, I mostly chalk that up to people trying to call their shot so if they are right they look like a genius. The problem is that it's a crapshoot at this point. My personal take on the QB race is that we have 3 QBs who are talented and capable. In my opinion, Dan Enos has been exactly what the QB room has needed. A knowledgeable and competent coach capable of developing and elevating the game of each one. Enos is a coach who will put each QB in position to succeed. As far as who wins the job I don't believe there is any evidence to suggest that anyone has taken command. What I will say is that I believe we can win with any of the 3 and that we will see a tremendous difference between the QB play under Enos and what it was under Richt.

Advertisement

AGREE 100%

Personally, I don't see how any of these QBs have "pulled ahead". I think Tate Martell after a slow start has started to put things together and has momentum heading into summer workouts. I think Perry has always had the tools. He just needed a good QB coach and some maturity. Enos has given him the coaching and by all accounts, Perry is much more focused and is embracing the responsibilities that come with his position. I think that Jarren Williams is the best pure passer of the bunch and like Perry he desperately needed competent coaching and someone capable of developing his skills. Enos has been that guy and I believe Jarren has responded well. Jarren just needs more reps as he for all practical intents and purposes has zero live game experience.

As for posters on the board saying that so and so is in the lead and that so and so is out of it, I mostly chalk that up to people trying to call their shot so if they are right they look like a genius. The problem is that it's a crapshoot at this point. My personal take on the QB race is that we have 3 QBs who are talented and capable. In my opinion, Dan Enos has been exactly what the QB room has needed. A knowledgeable and competent coach capable of developing and elevating the game of each one. Enos is a coach who will put each QB in position to succeed. As far as who wins the job I don't believe there is any evidence to suggest that anyone has taken command. What I will say is that I believe we can win with any of the 3 and that we will see a tremendous difference between the QB play under Enos and what it was under Richt.
I agree with your logical and unbiased account of our QB room at this point! I hope that we all get behind the main eyes and ears of this position Enos & Diaz and not criticize the outcome because it's not the guy they fell in love with based off of "WHAT IF'S"!

Murray is a once in a lifetime type of athlete. It was amazing to watch him at Oklahoma. Martell reminds me of that type of athlete. Not as quick, but man he is a quick *******.
Charlie Ward..Michael Vick cut the crap LOL...Martell has yet to start a game please chiiilllll

Advertisement
Who is calling anything? All I said Is I’m not buying the notion of anyone being head and shoulders above the competition and my point on that is like I said, until we see one of the guys do it vs the FIRST TEAM DEFENSE CONSISTENTLY it’s not feasible to anoint anyone this early
Well you and i agree! I was speaking in general terms about some on this board calling it for one guy off of 50% of the offense installed...which makes no sense! They are already working themselves up to criticize Enos and Diaz if their guy is not picked to start! They need to let the professional do their job with this team and stick to their day job!

KJ Osborn and Jeremiah Payton both had really good Springs by all accounts. Both of those guys just got here in January. The QBs didn't have any more or less familiarity with either of them and it sounds like KJ was establishing himself as one of the top 2 WRs in the rotation.

Many days throughout the Spring we heard Osborn had a great day and continued to establish himself a real option at the WR spot. Until the last 3 days of Spring, Martell was struggling so it most likely wasn't him making KJ and even Payton look good. Typically, if the WRs are catching passes and doing a good job, the QB throwing it to them is probably pretty consistent.

I'm not sure why Perry's elusiveness gets ignored when we start talking about Tate's ability to make things happen with his feet. Unlike he is a special runner like 2017 Malik Rosier then Perry is probably just as effective at improvising and keeping plays alive. We saw him do it several times last year.

If we take emotion out of it, we can't use excuses about time on campus and all familiarity with the WRs when the top WR from last season wasn't a huge factor throughout the Spring but a new guy was.

While N'Kosi has things to work on his elusiveness and ability to get away from pressure is way beyond adequate.

KJ Osborn and Jeremiah Payton both had really good Springs by all accounts. Both of those guys just got here in January. The QBs didn't have any more or less familiarity with either of them and it sounds like KJ was establishing himself as one of the top 2 WRs in the rotation.

Many days throughout the Spring we heard Osborn had a great day and continued to establish himself a real option at the WR spot. Until the last 3 days of Spring, Martell was struggling so it most likely wasn't him making KJ and even Payton look good. Typically, if the WRs are catching passes and doing a good job, the QB throwing it to them is probably pretty consistent.

I'm not sure why Perry's elusiveness gets ignored when we start talking about Tate's ability to make things happen with his feet. Unlike he is a special runner like 2017 Malik Rosier then Perry is probably just as effective at improvising and keeping plays alive. We saw him do it several times last year.

If we take emotion out of it, we can't use excuses about time on campus and all familiarity with the WRs when the top WR from last season wasn't a huge factor throughout the Spring but a new guy was.

While N'Kosi has things to work on his elusiveness and ability to get away from pressure is way beyond adequate.
You are making absolutely too much sense for CIS!! It might be above their pay grade to digest such logic!

Advertisement
I want whoever has the coolness and game day composure of our great QB's. I heard a story about Kosar when we played the gator in Tampa. It was a close game until the end, but while it was close JJ intended to give Bernie encouragement, as Bernie came to JJ he said "Isn't this fun!", JJ said nothing just smiled. There are practice players and game day players...I simply want the one that is composed and knows how to win close games. Tate's high school history indicates he is a winner, I believe he went undefeated. I do not know the high school records of the others but that (if true) record shows Martel is probably a game time player. Some when the lights come on, theirs go out, others love the pressure. I've often wondered how coaches make that determination, whoever made Bernie Kosar a QB was either crazy or lucky or a genius, because he was not a prototypical QB and awkward doing everything wrong physically but a winner.

I want whoever has the coolness and game day composure of our great QB's. I heard a story about Kosar when we played the gator in Tampa. It was a close game until the end, but while it was close JJ intended to give Bernie encouragement, as Bernie came to JJ he said "Isn't this fun!", JJ said nothing just smiled. There are practice players and game day players...I simply want the one that is composed and knows how to win close games. Tate's high school history indicates he is a winner, I believe he went undefeated. I do not know the high school records of the others but that (if true) record shows Martel is probably a game time player. Some when the lights come on, theirs go out, others love the pressure. I've often wondered how coaches make that determination, whoever made Bernie Kosar a QB was either crazy or lucky or a genius, because he was not a prototypical QB and awkward doing everything wrong physically but a winner.
It's about game day mistakes and with a short leash that will make the decision. It's no mystery science that the coaches will go by. Its a close horse race so the starter will pretty much replace themself if they crap the bed in a game. Enos doesn't have to wait for a string of losses to make the change. So it could be do or die for the first guy out the gate!

Advertisement
It's about game day mistakes and with a short leash that will make the decision. It's no mystery science that the coaches will go by. Its a close horse race so the starter will pretty much replace themself if they crap the bed in a game. Enos doesn't have to wait for a string of losses to make the change. So it could be do or die for the first guy out the gate!
This is actually an excellent point. That is something that has not been discussed but most definitely bears watching as the above scenario may very well come into play.

Agreed but even that has risks. If the team is making the QB look bad you don't want to destroy his confidence yet is he is throwing obvious INT's and checking off to bad plays it makes sense to sub. I wish Richt had substituted often in the last two years, heck...if JJ had used Geoff Toretta in the Fiesta bowl if even for just one series, we win that game against PSU. That is what makes great coaches over suspect coaches.

Advertisement
Back