SIAP, story on Tate Martell and UM offense on ESPN.com...

We kept hearing this QB competition was going to be won over the summer, by whoever puts in the work and gets better.

It’s a long offseason! How are we going to hear about who is putting in the work and who isn’t , who is getting better, etc.? Does somebody on this board actually know what’s going on now that spring practice is over, and can keep track through the summer (a green tree spy)? Waiting till Fall camp starts is a long time to wait for QB controversy news! I need a canes QB news update before August

Last edited:
Advertisement
Tate is going to be running all over the competition and it starts 8/24!

He'll get His *** laid out.

Those gratuitous runs He made in HS ain't gonna cut it at the College level, He better figure out when to pick & choose His spots to run. And even then, His runs better be between the hashes...if the QBs were live in the Spring Game, either Frierson or Hall (forgot what Safety it was) would've lit His *** up when He tried to turn the corner.

Those gratuitous runs He made in HS ain't gonna cut it at the College level, He better figure out when to pick & choose His spots to run. And even then, His runs better be between the hashes...if the QBs were live in the Spring Game, either Frierson or Hall (forgot what Safety it was) would've lit His *** up when He tried to turn the corner.
He already ran quite well at taint. As far as the spring game, I was there and I commented then, Tate would have avoided a lot of those "sacks" if it wasn't touch. I don't think you realize just how elusive and quick he is.

When is the Players Haters Ball this year? I want to be there when u win biggest hater.

giphy (1).gif

Advertisement
He already ran quite well at taint. As far as the spring game, I was there and I commented then, Tate would have avoided a lot of those "sacks" if it wasn't touch. I don't think you realize just how elusive and quick he is.

It is not just the ability to run, but to throw effectively on the run is what might set him apart from the others..

If it comes to throwing efficiency it will not be Martel. The most accurate of all the quarterbacks is Williams and it’s not close. And that leads to the Enos quotes on quarterbacks when he first got here that the most important thing in a QB is accuracy. Obviously he will pick who he thinks is best and that is who I will support.

Tate mobility is going to be hard to keep off the field. If he continues to work hard and doesn't do anything dumb this summer then it will be hard to not start him the UF game. Manny wants to win and Tate imo gives us the best chance to win because he could potentially shred UF's defense with his arm and legs.

If it comes to throwing efficiency it will not be Martel. The most accurate of all the quarterbacks is Williams and it’s not close. And that leads to the Enos quotes on quarterbacks when he first got here that the most important thing in a QB is accuracy. Obviously he will pick who he thinks is best and that is who I will support.

Accuracy definitely helps, but I think the QB who makes the best decisions before & after the snap will get the nod.

One thing I noticed in the Spring Game, is when Baker started to turn up the heat, all 3 QBs struggled and took sacks.

All 3 QBs have to get better at calling the protections...similar to Richt's O, this offense leaves a lot of the decision making in the hands of the QB.

Advertisement

Frierson has played two positions now at miami.. neither of them are safety though, just a heads up.

It's getting to the point that I have to agree with you...The other QBs have had sufficient amounts of time to seperate themselves...
I feel if Martell would've been here the equal amount of time as the others...There would be No question who the starter would be.
Again...I have no dog in this fight, and I'm not giving Martell preferential treatment...But the others have had 2yrs of a head start.

This is a new offense Enos is installing....NO ONE had a head start....they all started even

This is a new offense Enos is installing....NO ONE had a head start....they all started even
When you've been around your teammates for 2 extra years, that's a headstart. You've already earned some level of respect with your teammates. Tate still has to earn that respect. If you've ever played football u would know that your teammates play harder for the QB they respect and have chemistry with vs the new QB on the team.

Advertisement
Starting him against UF would be so big with his mobility. Terry Willson, from Kentucky, had 10 rushes for 105 yards last year. In other words, UF's D is not capable of containing a moble qb.

Wilson was also 11-16 150 yds passing. Having a pure running QB is death in any league.

Our QB also has to be able to pass or he won't be starting. If Tste improves that...he improves his chances

Methinks Jeff Thomas is our most dynamic player and he left because of Jon and Mark's inept offense. I wonder which QB he would prefer and I also wonder if the receivers will have any input to the decision. When Irvin went to Minnesota to practice with Walsh I'd assume him being that teams most dynamic player was a factor in Walsh becoming the QB. I'd like to know if Thomas is going to pull an Irvin and practice with one of the three. Of course the coaches will make the final decision and that is the way it should be, regardless I will be satisfied regardless of who they pick. Didn't two of our current players play with Martel in high school and weren't they a factor in getting him to come here? Lots of potential conspiracies to consider yet none of us are included in that decision so be happy with whomever Enos picks.

Advertisement
When you've been around your teammates for 2 extra years, that's a headstart. You've already earned some level of respect with your teammates. Tate still has to earn that respect. If you've ever played football u would know that your teammates play harder for the QB they respect and have chemistry with vs the new QB on the team.

I played. We're talking about learning the new offense.

Anyone who's played also knows that the team gravitates towards the best QB .....regardless of how long he's been there. Because it gives them the best chance to win.

That's won during the competition and practices. It doesn't take years to gain respect. You get respect by winning the job

They want to win more than the fans ever will.

The team and coaches will support the best QB whether he's been there a few months ....or years. They just simply want to win.

Unlike the fans ....they have no favorites...and will ALL support whoever is best

Last edited:
I played. We're talking about learning the new offense.

Anyone who's played also knows that the team gravitates towards the best QB .....regardless of how long he's been there. Because it gives them the best chance to win.

That's won during the competition and practices. It doesn't take years to gain respect. You get respect by winning the job

They want to win more than the fans ever will.

The team and coaches will support the best QB whether he's been there a few months ....or years. They just simply want to win.

Unlike the fans ....they have no favorites...and will ALL support whoever is best
CaneInOrlando didn't say anything about the offense. He said head start in general.

Kosi and Jarren have been around longer to gain some level of respect. That's a fact. I'm not even going to get into the trust they have built, especially Kosi.

I like how u omitted the point I made about Kosi and Jarren having two extra years to develop chemistry with their teammates though. Chemistry is crucial.

Two of the qbs have been around the program for 2 years and the other QB has been around the program for 5 months. There's no denying that's a head start.

Martell seems like a good athlete, but He's no Murray.
Murray is a once in a lifetime type of athlete. It was amazing to watch him at Oklahoma. Martell reminds me of that type of athlete. Not as quick, but man he is a quick *******.

CaneInOrlando didn't say anything about the offense. He said head start in general.

Kosi and Jarren have been around longer to gain some level of respect. That's a fact. I'm not even going to get into the trust they have built, especially Kosi.

I like how u omitted the point I made about Kosi and Jarren having two extra years to develop chemistry with their teammates though. Chemistry is crucial.

Two of the qbs have been around the program for 2 years and the other QB has been around the program for 5 months. There's no denying that's a head start.

I can see why he ignored it. Your trying to create some illogical narrative where kosi and jarren have some imaginary advantage or head start over tate when it simply isn't true.

Everyone is learning a new offense and also trying to earn the respect of their coaches for playing time. No one is playing any harder than they do for the last/next man. As if any coach/player wouldnt be able to identify that. What you're saying doesn't make a lick of sense. They all got the same start. Time and relationship would only be an advantage if the offense was the same.

Advertisement
Back