SIAP: Mark Walton - Quiet Camp

Advertisement
Berrios is looking like a practice squad candidate. He just seems like the type of player that will bounce around a few teams before making his mark on the nfl, if he ever does

Interesting. Pulling for Walton but I think it was telling that he was going to find the perfect fit for him and his game. Didn't he have just marginal numbers when you looked at just P5 opponents?

This

Walton vs Non-P5 - 8.2 ypc - which was as good as any RB in the draft last year
Walton vs P5 - 3.8 ypc - which, and I'm not joking on this, is worse than any P5 RB drafted in the last 15 years

Walton usually struggled with the speed of the game at the P5 level, so his struggles with NFL speed shouldn't be a surprise.

The problem with the "Special Teams" argument is that the Bengals RB backups that have been outplaying Walton, Tra Carson & Brian Hill, also play special teams.

But I don't think Walton gets cut. I can see the Bengals stashing him on IR for the year with an "injury" and essentially redshirting him is a scenario I can see happening.

And Waltons best attributes are his pass catching and pass protection. Never was going to be a great rusher in the nfl. Well see what happens with him. Has to become a dynamic special teams player if he wants to stick around in the league

Advertisement
Walton will make it because of his receiving, pass protection and special teams.

As for his running, it's been the same story at every level. This includes high school. His first year, he struggles with vision. But then the game slows down and he starts busting big plays. Not surprised at all with his progression.

Berrios is a great student and has a lot of options. Don't be surprised if he just hangs em up.

Walton was never a great athlete. He's built more like a APB but runs a 4.6. The two of those don't mesh well in the NFL or big time CFB.

Advertisement
Problem with Walton is his situation. He's behind two young and very talented backs in Cincinnati, Mixon and Gio Bernard. Also, doesn't help that the bengals have a poor oline and he's running behind the second and third stringers. He's not an elite RB but he can be a productive NFL player.

Walton will make it because of his receiving, pass protection and special teams.

As for his running, it's been the same story at every level. This includes high school. His first year, he struggles with vision. But then the game slows down and he starts busting big plays. Not surprised at all with his progression.

I'm telling you DMoney, Walton's athleticism is a problem.

That's why his "big plays" came against Non-P5 teams vs. P5 teams. He only had 2 runs of 30+ yds against P5 teams in his career. By contrast, Homer had 6 30+ runs vs. P5 just last year.

I think basically it comes down to this - Here's a quote from Todd McShay who had Walton as his #9 RB "There were several people I spoke with at the Miami program who believed he was the best athlete on the team". I know you've heard this as well DMoney. I think you either believe what people say, or believe the testing.

And Walton tested poorly athletically in HS, NFL Combine & Pro Day. Walton always had the reputation for being a great athlete, but it's just not the reality.

Tra Carson & Brian Hill play special teams. They catch the ball. They pass protect. They're bigger & more athletic. This is what Walton is up against in the NFL.

It's really, really hard for any RB with Walton's athletic profile to distinguish themselves at the NFL level.

The numbers vs P5 don't lie. The biggest run in his college career (the only memorable one to me) got called back on a holding penalty. Homer is a far better RB than Walton ever was at Miami, and a far better NFL prospect.

Berrios is a great student and has a lot of options. Don't be surprised if he just hangs em up.

Walton was never a great athlete. He's built more like a APB but runs a 4.6. The two of those don't mesh well in the NFL or big time CFB.
There's no way Berrios hangs them up.

He seems the type that is willing to stick around the practice squad, if he gets cut, for a few years until multiple coaches tell him he's not good enough. He's got that chip on his shoulder.

Advertisement
"There were several people I spoke with at the Miami program who believed he was the best athlete on the team".

He was the best pure football player on the team. Give me 22 guys with his attitude and I'd win a National Championship.

Athletically, yeah he's probably going to struggle at the next level.

The numbers vs P5 don't lie. The biggest run in his college career (the only memorable one to me) got called back on a holding penalty. Homer is a far better RB than Walton ever was at Miami, and a far better NFL prospect.
Walton had a LOT of long TD runs called back. So many that when one wasn’t called back, he did double takes for a flag. Sadly, I’m not joking.

A couple of us were never completely sold on Walton as a RB. Guys on here hate numbers when they don’t demonstrate what they want them to, but Walton’s ypc has never shown him to be a top level RB.

Like I said since he declared, his chance to hang was on STs because he’s not a top RB, but he’s an excellent all around player and a very hard worker. Great team guy too.

Advertisement

That's why his "big plays" came against Non-P5 teams vs. P5 teams. He only had 2 runs of 30+ yds against P5 teams in his career. By contrast, Homer had 6 30+ runs vs. P5 just last year.

I think basically it comes down to this - Here's a quote from Todd McShay who had Walton as his #9 RB "There were several people I spoke with at the Miami program who believed he was the best athlete on the team". I know you've heard this as well DMoney. I think you either believe what people say, or believe the testing.

And Walton tested poorly athletically in HS, NFL Combine & Pro Day. Walton always had the reputation for being a great athlete, but it's just not the reality.

Tra Carson & Brian Hill play special teams. They catch the ball. They pass protect. They're bigger & more athletic. This is what Walton is up against in the NFL.

It's really, really hard for any RB with Walton's athletic profile to distinguish themselves at the NFL level.

Walton's problem is vision. Same problem at Miami and at Booker T. He breaks out the second year.

If he gets cut (which is possible), I expect him to stick somewhere else and emerge as a utility back the next couple of years. The Patriots would be an ideal landing spot.

I don't think Walton tested poorly he just didn't test as well as some had hoped. In general his athleticism is great, overall. He isn't a blazer but he isn't slow. He is strong, agile and has great balance. Overall he is a above average athlete, his problem is vision. Against the better opponents those holes got smaller and he was easily bottled up.

Walton's problem is vision. Same problem at Miami and at Booker T. He breaks out the second year.

If he gets cut (which is possible), I expect him to stick somewhere else and emerge as a utility back the next couple of years. The Patriots would be an ideal landing spot.

Is there any player that the Patriots aren't the ideal landing spot?

This isn’t true, jets are VERY high on Herndon and he had been probably their most impressive rookie outside of darnold

My bad. You’re right. He is getting some strong reviews. I watched all 3 Jets preseason games and he hadn’t caught a pass. But I forgot he was out with an injury for the first two.
Walford, though, has looked good. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. It’s rare for two ex-Canes to be competing at the same position on the same team.

Advertisement
Back