SIAP: Mark Walton - Quiet Camp

He did for the most part, but alot of that can also be attributed to our OL under-performing against stouter DL's. Either way, he developed a bad habit of trying to find his own running lanes, which is the very thing that's hurting him now.

Didnt seem to bother Homer too much

Advertisement
Walton's problem is vision. Same problem at Miami and at Booker T. He breaks out the second year.

If he gets cut (which is possible), I expect him to stick somewhere else and emerge as a utility back the next couple of years. The Patriots would be an ideal landing spot.

I will say Walton landed in a tougher spot than I thought. The Bengals RB competition was a little deeper than other teams.

And I think Walton is definitely better than he's shown so far. I don't think his vision or style improves - but his confidence and decisiveness get better as he gets more comfortable. Right now there's not much confidence in his running from what I've seen.

It'll be interesting to see how the Bengals play it. Cutting a rookie 4th round pick is a tough pill to swallow for any team. And if he ends up on the practice squad I'd expect another team to pick him up at some point during the year.

It'll be interesting to see what Walton & Quinton Flowers do in this last preseason game.

But I've always seen Walton like Jarret Payton, Javarris James, Damien Berry, Mike James, etc - he'll play 1, 2 maybe 3 years (probably for 2 or 3 teams), but he'll need a couple RB's on his team to get injured to get any meaningful playing time. But definitely no shame in being in the NFL for a couple years.

Yeah he’s literally made one play all preseason from what I saw. None of the rookie running backs are lighting it on fire right now honestly

My buccaneers picked Ronald jones in the second and he has been bad in the preseason imo too

Kid has all of the tools, but for all of the big plays he made at Da U, I was always worried about his prospects at the next level.

Why, because he consistently went off script for the "big play" instead following the play's design by hitting the hole behind his blockers. -- Granted we weren't the best run blocking team in the nation, so some of those runs were him improvising to make something out of nothing.

However, that mindset can haunt you in the NFL. Those guys aren't taking plays off, are technically sound, and won't just let a back bounce every play for a big gain. The way it's looks, kid will basically have to thank his lucky stars - if he lands on the practice squad!

- Meanwhile, Gus Edwards is getting 1st Qtr reps with the Ravens - Chit Crazy Man!

If Walton gets cut, best case scenario is that a genius like Belichick picks him up and pours into him.

Really pulling for this guy. Do you guys think he makes the Bengals team?

Gus is practice squad bound if and I mean if the Ravens decide to keep him..

Berrios is a great student and has a lot of options. Don't be surprised if he just hangs em up.

Walton was never a great athlete. He's built more like a APB but runs a 4.6. The two of those don't mesh well in the NFL or big time CFB.
Berrios isn't gonna hang it up if he doesn't make the Patriots squad. He can make some plays in the NFL and carve out a nice little slot receiver career. Get in make some money, get to that 5th year of service, retire and pursue other business ventures.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back