SIAP - Dan Morgan moving on up

Advertisement
Perhaps the most productive linebacker we've ever had at the University of Miami, which is incredible considering the history of that position. Glad to see he's on the fast track to NFL executive status.

Morgan without a Doubt in my mind was a better LBer than Ray at UM....Of course Pro's are another story....but in College Dan hands down...Most Decorated LBer as well...
It's real close, Ray's NFL upside lead him on to become the greatest MLB in NFL history (imo), but Ray, Barrow & Dan are all at the top of the discussion as the greatest Mike LB's in school history.

Dan was the 2nd LB to start as a True Freshman since Ray had done it when he debuted in 93. Lewis had 153 tackles his Sophomore year & 160 tackles his Junior year, he finished his career at Miami 5th in tackles, if he comes back for his Senior year no doubt he would've had a shot at 1st all-time. Dan had an extra season on Ray in that category lol

Dan in his Senior year won the Butkus, Bednarik & Naugurski, Ray was 2nd place for the Butkus his Junior year, gotta believe he wins that one as well if he comes back his Senior year.

There's legit argument for all 3 (Ray, Dan & Micheal) purely elite LB's.

Can't remember the game think it was Florida in the sugar bowl in 2000.Morgan lost his shoes during a play he still ran down the rb.

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but Dan had 18 tackles in the Super Bowl. At the time that was an NFL record; it might still be a record.

Advertisement
Who’s Dan Morgan?

Will never forget watching him spew everywhere right at the snap and not missing a step!

Who’s Dan Morgan?

Will never forget watching him spew everywhere right at the snap and not missing a step!

REAL TALK THAT ***** MADE THE TACKLE ON THAT PLAY BRUH IT WAS FULL ON PROJECTILE VOMIT AND HE STILL MADE THE TACKLE. BLACK WHITE PURPLE WITH YELLOW POLKA DOTS THAT BOY COULD BALL HE IS DEFINITELY TOP THREE ALL TIME AT LB.

Perhaps the most productive linebacker we've ever had at the University of Miami, which is incredible considering the history of that position. Glad to see he's on the fast track to NFL executive status.
Had Nate Webster not hired an agent, they would've had well over 900 tackles together

Advertisement
True. But you can't mention or history and fast physical linebackers without mentioning the triangle first and foremost. Any one of them is in that talk.

Michael Barrow in 1992 made as many pivotal big plays in a season as any LB at UM I can remember. He played so well he even got some Heisman votes. For my money, based on college success and NFL careers, Barrow-Smith-Armstead just might be the greatest trio ever at linebacker

I don't think 2nd place is even close.

All 3 of them played for a decade or more in the pros - and played well.

Michael Barrow in 1992 made as many pivotal big plays in a season as any LB at UM I can remember. He played so well he even got some Heisman votes. For my money, based on college success and NFL careers, Barrow-Smith-Armstead just might be the greatest trio ever at linebacker

I don't think 2nd place is even close.

All 3 of them played for a decade or more in the pros - and played well.

they made Pro Bowls, won and played in Super Bowls, etc, after winning national titles at Miami. All three seem to be doing very well now after their careers. Loved the Bermuda Triangle. I remember when All-Sports(as it was called then) sold autographs photos of the trio, mine is a fixture in my office

It's real close, Ray's NFL upside lead him on to become the greatest MLB in NFL history (imo), but Ray, Barrow & Dan are all at the top of the discussion as the greatest Mike LB's in school history.

Dan was the 2nd LB to start as a True Freshman since Ray had done it when he debuted in 93. Lewis had 153 tackles his Sophomore year & 160 tackles his Junior year, he finished his career at Miami 5th in tackles, if he comes back for his Senior year no doubt he would've had a shot at 1st all-time. Dan had an extra season on Ray in that category lol

Dan in his Senior year won the Butkus, Bednarik & Naugurski, Ray was 2nd place for the Butkus his Junior year, gotta believe he wins that one as well if he comes back his Senior year.

There's legit argument for all 3 (Ray, Dan & Micheal) purely elite LB's.

Great point on Ray not coming back for his senior year. I forget he declared as a junior.

Advertisement
Who’s Dan Morgan?

I was at that game. If memory serves me right it was a Thursday night game.
Yeah he projectile vomited before the snap and made the tackle.

Last edited:
Weird that I still think this dude is sooooo underrated when we talk about great Canes. And keep in mind, he gets plenty of props.

His numbers were ridiculous. Him and Nate terrorized the opposition.

I was disappointed that that wrecking crew of 2000 graduated before they could finish the job. Losing monsters like that, I was sure 2001 team would find it hard to replace the way they busted heads.

But then Vilma and D.J. emerged........

Advertisement
His numbers were ridiculous. Him and Nate terrorized the opposition.

I was disappointed that that wrecking crew of 2000 graduated before they could finish the job. Losing monsters like that, I was sure 2001 team would find it hard to replace the way they busted heads.

But then Vilma and D.J. emerged........
I never saw a more Violent LBer at UM than Webster...and that includes Rohan....Rohan was on more talented teams...but make no mistake about it...Nate was an animal...

Favorite Canes in no particular order...Stephen McGuire, Gore, 26, T Mack, Dre, Rusty, Hester, Winslow, Berrios, Calais, and Rohan.
Morgan was a great UM LB. I’m not sure anyone was better while at UM ever.

Can’t forget edge.

He was the guy that let me know we were on the way

Advertisement
Back