(SIAP) Chuck Todd hurting the program and recruiting

Or, maybe, just maybe, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

And since you don't know what that means, I've gone ahead and done the leg work for you: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mutually+exclusive+

Like I said, I'm concerned with the real and not the trivial.

Here is a quote...
"That number is real low. It should be higher," Smith said. "But it is what it is. I work for Miami Central, not the University of Miami. In order for Miami to get back to where we were we've got to keep these local kids home. They've tried. It's not for a lack of effort. From the staff on down, the head coach, coordinators, assistant coaches, they're doing a **** of a job trying. But to get over the hump you've got to win those big games."

Your thoughts?

Instead of arguing, go be nice on twitter to Roland Smith and recruits' parents. See how far you will get. All you need is love?

We've got to keep Miami kids home, so lets as a fanbase go onto social media and tell kids like Jordan Scarlett that the program sucks, the team wants to transfer ect., ect.

That'll help right?

I'm not a social media person, so go begin the fight against the meanies.

Make sure you bring up the track record of Al Golden and how they should ignore it.

"That number is real low. It should be higher," Smith said. "But it is what it is. I work for Miami Central, not the University of Miami. In order for Miami to get back to where we were we've got to keep these local kids home. They've tried. It's not for a lack of effort. From the staff on down, the head coach, coordinators, assistant coaches, they're doing a **** of a job trying. But to get over the hump you've got to win those big games.

Tell kids that the program sucks, wonder why recruits go elsewhere, post quotes from coaches wondering why Miami kids aren't staying home.

You're our resident MENSA member.

I'm not on social media, so it would be difficult to do.

I think recruits go elsewhere mostly because Al Golden sucks. This isn't private news or confidential either.

Here is a fun quote from a former Alum...

"That number is real low. It should be higher," Smith said. "But it is what it is. I work for Miami Central, not the University of Miami. In order for Miami to get back to where we were we've got to keep these local kids home. They've tried. It's not for a lack of effort. From the staff on down, the head coach, coordinators, assistant coaches, they're doing a **** of a job trying. But to get over the hump you've got to win those big games.

Remember being nice can overcome the ALbortion.

Advertisement
All the cloud did was give an excuse for Golden's shortcomings. If Golden had it his way, this would still be going on and he would've got another extension until 2023.

Chuck carries Obama's water but he's as legit a Canes fan as it comes. Was calling out problems with how the admin and athletic department operate a long time ago as he was donating money. Hope that has stopped.

This is one sick board, and one sick group of "fans." Yeah, there are problems in the administration and I've already told friends privately that AG is a "dead man walking."

Chuck Todd is an idiot. He does work for the anti-American NBC network and I cannot, for the life of me, understand why he has risen to the level he has, with no apparent talent or exceptional intellect. He might be right about the administration, the university, the coaches, but the hate on this board is sick.

This is an ongoing jihad by a bunch of maladjusted and immature kids that see everything in life as tied up with the success of our program, a program I've probably been following and supporting before most of you had your first in utero erections.

I've seen lots of ups and downs with our program, as I have with other programs, and you have to realize that we are going to find it extremely difficult to compete with the big state schools with their endless resources, ethical and academic compromises. It's foolish to think we can swoop in and hire an Urban Meyer or Saban, give them everything they want and need, let them take almost anybody they want with no academic standards. It's just not going to happen. Look at the final four--was there a private school among them? How many private schools are there competing year in, year out for the NC? Where's Stanford, USC? Maybe TCU should have been there, but I think their boosters have devoted extraordinary resources to the program. I doubt that we have the booster money to follow suit. I'd also like to know if they have maintained academic standards for their recruits, or have they compromised? I haven't seen them play, so I wonder if they really belong on the level of the other schools in the final 4. (Good thing they didn't clamor for the firing of Gary Patterson after their 2013 season, which was worse than Al's this year, not that I think Golden is going to rebound by much, if any. I just don't think he has what it takes and will be gone after 2015.)

You can complain about Golden, and I have serious doubts about him as a coach, but who are we going to get? If I were a coach, I would probably try to steer clear of Miami, with all it's limitations, problems and an increasingly nasty, hateful fan base.

Bring on the hate, maybe I can reach a minus ten--would that be a new record?

Ohio St. waited 3 years to get an NCAA ruling like Miami did? That's news to me.

Also OSU has vastly superior budgets, Alumni, resources etc... AND had better overall talent. They were ranked top 5 how many times in the preceding 5 years before Meyer took over? The comparison is a joke.

None of that says Golden is good or should be here, but let's not compare apples to oranges.

I just looked at the OSU roster, and I see maybe five guys from Florida a ton, obvously from Ohio, and a bunch scattered around different parts of the country.

The south Florida recruits:

Joey Bosa
Johnnie Dixon
Michael Cibene
James Clark
Jeff Heuerman

Who did I miss? Who were the impact players this year (I really don't know, since I only watched part of one game, the NC game, since my Comcast feed was out)?

They relied very little on Florida kids; obviously Bosa is a difference maker.

Yeah, south Florida sends a lot to the NFL on a per capita basis, but it seems the advantage of being in south Florida is not as big an advantage as it seems. The kids that put together that successful end of season and NC game for OSU were mostly Ohio kids.

They had an advantage in resources, attendance (since I assume that helps with motivation) and obviously, coaching.

I'm not so sure Chuck Todd would know much about what really matters with Miami's football program, since he's not really an "insider" or a football expert, just a fan and besides, I'm not sure he knows so much about his own field, so why should he be an expert in Miami football?

I've followed politics for years, seen thousands of hours of these so called "pundits" and most of them are just media people who ended up reporting on politics and pretty soon the networks try to pass them off as having some kind of special wisdom. In reality, they are just people who got into the media business reporting on politics and reading news. What makes them experts or having such superior judgment? Besides, he works for NBC and MSNBC, doesn't he? Their viewership is probably comparable to our game attendance, it's in the toilet.

If that is correct, it speaks volumes about the state of the program, and supports my belief that Golden is not likely to succeed here. Still, that doesn't detract from my criticisms of the haters on this board and in our fanbase. I did give it a plus since it's a very telling graphic, if true.

This is obviously not the year the university can consider a change, for a lot of reasons. Except people here are irrational and, like a nursing infant, want immediate gratification.

And don't expect Butch to come back, I strongly doubt the university would take him back, especially if he lied to them. (The same quality that made him such a good recruiter, most likely).

Advertisement
@chucktodd: As a Miami fan, is it fair to note Ohio State had similar cloud over program when Urban took over that Miami had 3 years ago? #notanexcuse

@dwallbank: @chucktodd OSU has certain advantages Miami doesn't. A good stadium in a useful part of town, for example.

@chucktodd: @dwallbank but Miami has the talent in their backyard. Bet urban would trade that

@dwallbank: @chucktodd I don't think he would. You can hop on a plane to get talent -- & OSU a national brand -- but you can't replicate the Orange Bowl

After looking at the OSU roster, I think Tood is wrong about Urban trading his recruiting base for south Florida. I doubt it. Too many south Florida kids now come with baggage, including "mentors", street agents, people with their hands out, etc. The kids are prima donnas. He's only got five kids on his roster from Florida, only four from south Florida. He could probably get more if he wanted them. I'll bet he's very happy with the Ohio kids that were the core of this championship team.

If that is correct, it speaks volumes about the state of the program, and supports my belief that Golden is not likely to succeed here. Still, that doesn't detract from my criticisms of the haters on this board and in our fanbase. I did give it a plus since it's a very telling graphic, if true.

This is obviously not the year the university can consider a change, for a lot of reasons. Except people here are irrational and, like a nursing infant, want immediate gratification.

And don't expect Butch to come back, I strongly doubt the university would take him back, especially if he lied to them. (The same quality that made him such a good recruiter, most likely).

It was presented to a national audience on ESPN College Gameday during the season. Pretty sure they've got their stats right. So yeah, it's true.

Why would he bother coming to FL when he's got a ton of talent right in his own backyard. It was Tressel who was obsessed with SoFl.

@chucktodd: As a Miami fan, is it fair to note Ohio State had similar cloud over program when Urban took over that Miami had 3 years ago? #notanexcuse

@dwallbank: @chucktodd OSU has certain advantages Miami doesn't. A good stadium in a useful part of town, for example.

@chucktodd: @dwallbank but Miami has the talent in their backyard. Bet urban would trade that

@dwallbank: @chucktodd I don't think he would. You can hop on a plane to get talent -- & OSU a national brand -- but you can't replicate the Orange Bowl

After looking at the OSU roster, I think Tood is wrong about Urban trading his recruiting base for south Florida. I doubt it. Too many south Florida kids now come with baggage, including "mentors", street agents, people with their hands out, etc. The kids are prima donnas. He's only got five kids on his roster from Florida, only four from south Florida. He could probably get more if he wanted them. I'll bet he's very happy with the Ohio kids that were the core of this championship team.

I don't think the situations are all that similar..

In saying that, Ohio St is not any more talented than Miami was this year. If Corch Irvin Myers had been here these last 3 years (with this same roster), we wouldn't have lost a game.

Advertisement
Whether you agree with the comparison or not the very valid point he is making is that this 'cloud' BS has run its course. Golden's failures this season cannot be attributed to the investigation. Because even if we did or didn't lose some recruits these last few years because of 'the cloud', we had a better than 6-7 team this year.

I don't think the situations are all that similar..

In saying that, Ohio St is not any more talented than Miami was this year. If Corch Irvin Myers had been here these last 3 years (with this same roster), we wouldn't have lost a game.

They are a lot more talented than us at most positions actually. This team wasn't created by urb. This wasn't a "rebuild" job because it's obvious he doesn't want to do that( his fake health scare at Uf, and the way he left cupboard bare). This was a step into a loaded job for him, as he spent his time at espy going to all the big name schools practices and spring games and looking at the talent, etc. Osu has been loaded for awhile just couldn't get over the hump, he brought that with his coach expertise. Car dale jones wasn't some gray crow bum, dude was a big time recruit who went to glenville and prep school

And the only win came with Randy Shannon as coach.

Advertisement
Even though I want butch here, the two situations aren't really comparable.

Correct, Urban wins and Al loses.

Urban didn't go to a program that had coker and shannon running it into the ground before he stepped in.

Oh, so all is forgiven.

You can't use you inherited crap as an excuse if after 4 years we had a worse record than when he started.

Urban took his sanctions and won. Al did nothing and regressed.

Saying this, without giving the actual reasons is complete BS. Not only that, but I suspect your "reasons" are BS, as well. The school should have made a change this year, and the only "reason" they didn't, by all available evidence, is that they either don't care about having a successful program, or don't recognize what it takes to have a successful program.

Urban didn't go to a program that had coker and shannon running it into the ground before he stepped in.

Oh, so all is forgiven.

You can't use you inherited crap as an excuse if after 4 years we had a worse record than when he started.

Not about all being forgiven. It's just not the same situation. OSU has been crushing it for years, and recruiting well.. Other than Luke fickell season (who?) They have won at least 10 games a year for an eternity. Urban took over a good, successful, talent laden program and kept it going... al has failed, but he didn't have that luxury.

Advertisement

Oh, so all is forgiven.

Not about all being forgiven. It's just not the same situation. OSU has been crushing it for years, and recruiting well.. Other than Luke fickell season (who?) They have won at least 10 games a year for an eternity. Urban took over a good, successful, talent laden program and kept it going... al has failed, but he didn't have that luxury.

Of course the situation is not "identical". It never will be "identical." Chuck was demonstrating how a program with similar sanctions (9 Scholarships), can win it all. That 9 scholarships is not an excuse for losing.

But my point is that isn't relevant because when Al did have his guys in the program (year 4), he lost more games than when he started. If Al went on to improve and had his best season with his guys, then you could say RS screwed him. It no longer holds any water because we started 6-6 and now we're 6-7. 4 years later, what has changed? The constant is Al Golden.

Oh, so all is forgiven.

Of course the situation is not "identical". It never will be "identical." Chuck was demonstrating how a program with similar sanctions (9 Scholarships), can win it all. That 9 scholarships is not an excuse for losing.

But my point is that isn't relevant because when Al did have his guys in the program (year 4), he lost more games than when he started. If Al went on to improve and had his best season with his guys, then you could say RS screwed him. It no longer holds any water because we started 6-6 and now we're 6-7. 4 years later, what has changed? The constant is Al Golden.
9 schollies on a stacked team is different than 9 schollies on a non stacked team. Not defending Golden, just showing how they are not similar, and to be a bit fair, this year's senior class was put together by Al in like 2 weeks.

Yes they had sanctions, that's where the similarities in the situations end.

Chuck carries Obama's water but he's as legit a Canes fan as it comes. Was calling out problems with how the admin and athletic department operate a long time ago as he was donating money. Hope that has stopped.

This is one sick board, and one sick group of "fans." Yeah, there are problems in the administration and I've already told friends privately that AG is a "dead man walking."

Chuck Todd is an idiot. He does work for the anti-American NBC network and I cannot, for the life of me, understand why he has risen to the level he has, with no apparent talent or exceptional intellect. He might be right about the administration, the university, the coaches, but the hate on this board is sick.

This is an ongoing jihad by a bunch of maladjusted and immature kids that see everything in life as tied up with the success of our program, a program I've probably been following and supporting before most of you had your first in utero erections.

I've seen lots of ups and downs with our program, as I have with other programs, and you have to realize that we are going to find it extremely difficult to compete with the big state schools with their endless resources, ethical and academic compromises. It's foolish to think we can swoop in and hire an Urban Meyer or Saban, give them everything they want and need, let them take almost anybody they want with no academic standards. It's just not going to happen. Look at the final four--was there a private school among them? How many private schools are there competing year in, year out for the NC? Where's Stanford, USC? Maybe TCU should have been there, but I think their boosters have devoted extraordinary resources to the program. I doubt that we have the booster money to follow suit. I'd also like to know if they have maintained academic standards for their recruits, or have they compromised? I haven't seen them play, so I wonder if they really belong on the level of the other schools in the final 4. (Good thing they didn't clamor for the firing of Gary Patterson after their 2013 season, which was worse than Al's this year, not that I think Golden is going to rebound by much, if any. I just don't think he has what it takes and will be gone after 2015.)

You can complain about Golden, and I have serious doubts about him as a coach, but who are we going to get? If I were a coach, I would probably try to steer clear of Miami, with all it's limitations, problems and an increasingly nasty, hateful fan base.

Bring on the hate, maybe I can reach a minus ten--would that be a new record?

Blah blah blah talks down to his peers blah blah blah tries to validate his personal feeling that he is a superfan blah blah blah talks negatively about private schools even though private schools like Stanford and USC AND MIAMI have a **** ton of cash to spend on football if they choose to blah blah blah talks negatively about Miami as a coaching destination blah blah.

So, here's some conjecture. Miami with Urban Meyer in the last 4 years as opposed to an unproven sac of **** who coached Temple to a mediocre record but never won his conference. Who has the better record? How about Butch Davis vs Al Golden? If Urban has the better record, and we can afford doling out a few mil for a coach (and we can) why not get someone worth a **** to coach this team? You pay a guy enough and he'll come. Heck, Butch Davis would do it on the cheap at this moment in time.

As far as recruits go, when you have Head Coaches of South Florida High Schools who are Miami Alumns telling the media that their high profile players are going elsewhere because they want to play for a winning program as opposed to a losing program (Hurricanes under Donna Shalala and Al Golden) well, let's just say that speaks a lot more than anything you or I can say about why recruits do not want to play for this ****hole program.

DaU83,

Once again the sanctions are similar, the programs are not. Read his tweet again, similar cloud.

Advertisement
Back