SIAP but scrimmage did happen:

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
Freshman Romeo Finley shines in Miami Hurricanes’ final scrimmage of 2016 preseason | Canes Watch

Memo to Florida A&M: you can beat Miami.

If you’re ahead 28-0 at the half, and using Miami’s players.

Coach Mark Richt put his first-team offense and defense in that situation Thursday in UM’s final scrimmage of the preseason. They were down by four touchdowns with one half to play, facing a scout team mimicking the tendencies of their first opponent. He wanted the Hurricanes to sweat it out.

Sweat they did, coach included.

Miami got close to a comeback, but Brad Kaaya‘s late interception returned for a touchdown helped the scout team hold on to its sizable advantage. Miami’s first-team wound up losing by seven points in a game that helped them prepare for next Saturday’s season-opener against its FCS opponent (6 p.m., ESPN3.com).

The media was allowed to watch, so here’s what we know about the scrimmage based on Richt’s comments and information from sources who were present:

According to Richt, the Hurricanes were driving to get within three points and had enough time to try an onside kick. But that’s when a “catchable ball” that could have been “a sure first down, maybe touchdown” popped in the air and was intercepted and returned for a score by freshman safety Romeo Finley, who picked Kaaya twice.

“Romeo did a good job,” Richt said of the former four-star recruit from Niceville, praising him for being “opportunistic.” After his pick-six, the scout team could be heard celebrating from several hundred feet away.

UM did not provide stats immediately after the scrimmage, but said Kaaya threw one touchdown (“a long screen” to sophomore running back Mark Walton). Miami’s other touchdowns were rushing scores, but Richt declined to describe them.

When asked about first-team defensive standouts, Richt said he was too focused on offensive play-calling to notice. Defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is scheduled to address the media after practice Friday.

A source said freshman wide receiver Ahmmon Richards and redshirt sophomore tight end David Njoku stood out among the Hurricanes’ first-stringers. That is excellent news in the case of Richards, who has been dealing with a turf toe injury in recent weeks. He and Njoku are expected to be major contributors.

There were no “exceptional” defensive plays among the first-stringers, the source said, but said redshirt junior defensive end Al-Quadin Muhammad and senior safeties Rayshawn Jenkins and Jamal Carter played well. Freshman weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney (hamstring) is “looking better,” the source said, but still hasn’t shown the speed he had in the spring, when he earned the starting spot. Redshirt freshman Jamie Gordinier continues to battle for the job.

Richt did not provide clarity on the backup quarterback race — they did not play. Malik Rosier and Vincent Testaverde remained on the sidelines as Kaaya took the reins, trying to lead a 28-point comeback.

However, Richt was happy with scout-team quarterbacks Evan Shirreffs and Jack Allison and their scout-team receivers (that would seemingly include freshmen Sam Bruce and Dionte Mullins). Richt said the scout quarterbacks “made a couple of nice scrambles, a couple of nice throws,” including a long “bomb” for a touchdown to the left side of the field. A source said walk-on Mitch Davis caught the pass from Allison.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better practice game than what just happened,” Richt said. “The scouts gave a great look. The scouts competed, and the offense and defense, we had to field a little anxiety trying to come back from a 28-point deficit. We were steadily getting there … We knew we had to score every time, get a stop every time in the last two drives, maybe three. But we turned the ball over.”

Richt, who will call offensive plays for the first time since turning over those duties at Georgia in 2007, said he “blew one call,” but an assistant helped him sort out the formation before Miami had to burn a timeout.

He expressed disappointment in turnovers (Miami had four) and ball security (“the ball got knocked out at least twice”), but said the Hurricanes’ penalty total wasn’t bad aside from one targeting penalty on defense. UM set a school record for penalty yards (1,094) and was the nation’s most penalized team on a per-game basis (9.3 for 84.2 yards).

“This is what you want,” Richt said. “You want to put your defense under stress. You want to put your offense under stress. You want it to be competitive. I told the scouts, ‘You’re not a punching bag today. Go compete.’ We put a lot of quality players on that side of the ball to make it a quality game.”

Now it’s up to FAMU to do the same.

Advertisement
Kayaa had 2 int's? Oh knows, we might need a grad transfer qb . BK obviously has an int problem .

I beat the faqqit trolls with the soft breakdown of a scrimmage I didn't see

Kayaa had 2 int's? Oh knows, we might need a grad transfer qb . BK obviously has an int problem .

I'll do you one better - Brad Kaaya still hasn't won a clutch game, not even against our scout team...

Advertisement
No injuries?

200.gif

Anyone gonna blame Gray for the fumbles?

It was probably Gerald Willis who caused all of them. I assume he was playing every position on the scout team - he probably had the pick-6 at the end too.

I was told Bruce caused two fumbles, had 3 sacks and tipped the int to Finley. Then took out 3 ol on the way to the end zone. Then caught 8 passes the very next drive. Kid had a busy day

Advertisement

I'll do you one better - Brad Kaaya still hasn't won a clutch game, not even against our scout team...

I'm all in on Kaaya. But this is a legitimate concern. The only weakness I see in his game. I put it all on J Coley and past Corches. But do want to see him come from behind to win one.

I'm all in on Kaaya. But this is a legitimate concern. The only weakness I see in his game. I put it all on J Coley and past Corches. But do want to see him come from behind to win one.

Eh, let's just beat everybody by 70 then we don't have to worry...

This makes no sense whatsoever...

Advertisement

I'm not concerned about this at all. If nothing else, we won't have an OC calling HB passes in a snow storm on the potential game winning drive. That should help.

Kaaya needs to stop making our defense give up 500 yards a game. Duh.

Thank you lord... It's a true blessing to have a coach do simple things right. Make every drive like it's your last. Intensity throughout the game no let up. Brings tears to my eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Kaaya needs to stop making our defense give up 500 yards a game. Duh.

Strong argument. See Baylor.

Golden, Coley and D'No were all around for Morris as they were for Kaaya. Morris was 16-9 under Golden, and 9-4 with Coley. Kaaya was 10-10 under Golden, 13-12 under Coley. Blame the corches?

Advertisement
Back