Should we have a football season?

In one breath, you talk about people understanding loosening restrictions because it will help the economy. Then, you call college football "frivolous." College football is a zillion dollar business that does a lot more for the economy than Catfish Dewey's.
Let me clarify, it is a "frivolous" activity for the 70,000 individuals who are going there to watch a football game. Would the economy rebound quicker if everything reopened? Of course. However, this is going to be step-by-step process based on the associated risks involved so the chances of spikes in infection are minimized as much as possible so that hospitals around the country do not get inundated like NY saw last month.

It is one thing to allow restaurants to open at 25% capacity and another to allow for huge quantities of people to be "cheek to cheek" in a stadium.

Advertisement
Let me clarify, it is a "frivolous" activity for the 70,000 individuals who are going there to watch a football game. Would the economy rebound quicker if everything reopened? Of course. However, this is going to be step-by-step process based on the associated risks involved so the chances of spikes in infection are minimized as much as possible so that hospitals around the country do not get inundated like NY saw last month.

It is one thing to allow restaurants to open at 25% capacity and another to allow for huge quantities of people to be "cheek to cheek" in a stadium.
It could also just as easily be considered a "frivolous" activity to do pretty much anything--like going out to eat, going to bars, gyms, nail salons, and anything else that isn't essential.

If restaurants can open at 25% capacity, which will pretty much be impossible to monitor, then they should open stadiums at 25% capacity or something similar. It's probably less risky to be outside several feet from another fan than in a small restaurant with an AC system circulating contagion.

Given that the NFL is planning to start their season on time with contingencies, should college football do the same given its different dynamic of student athletes and college campuses?

Should there be a college football season this year? If yes, then what type of season?

There are basically 4 options:

1. Cancel the season all together.
2. Start the season as normal with contingencies.
3. Play a season without fans in the stands.
4. Start the football season in the Spring 2021 semester (January) when we may have a Covid-19 vaccine.

Given the revenue importance of college football, I think we'll have college footbal at some point. It's just a matter of when and how.

What are your thoughts on the options for the 2020 college football season?

Here's an article on the possible options.
giphy.gif

#2.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Dr. Fauci said sports shouldn't return until it was "guaranteed safe." As a result, sports should be banned permanently. Already .005% of non-nursing home citizens of Florida have been slaughtered by C19. How many more need to perish before we accept that not just sports, but everything must be shut down until there is a vaccine that 100% of the population takes, or forever (whichever comes first)?

Does "guaranteed safe." apply beyond the rona ?
We need a guaranteed vacine for every single virus before we even consider leaving the house.

Advertisement
It could also just as easily be considered a "frivolous" activity to do pretty much anything--like going out to eat, going to bars, gyms, nail salons, and anything else that isn't essential.

If restaurants can open at 25% capacity, which will pretty much be impossible to monitor, then they should open stadiums at 25% capacity or something similar. It's probably less risky to be outside several feet from another fan than in a small restaurant with an AC system circulating contagion.
We finished last season at about that, so we good.

We need a guaranteed vacine for every single virus before we even consider leaving the house.
Our older fans are the only one's that are old enough to remember when we were good. If we kill them off, what have we left?

Advertisement
Advertisement

Yes. My apartment stairs should clearly also be banned, as there is a small, but certainly not-zero, chance that I will trip, fall, hit my head and die while descending them. Dr. Fauci should get on that and guarantee my safety.

Yes. My apartment stairs should clearly also be banned, as there is a small, but certainly not-zero, chance that I will trip, fall, hit my head and die while descending them. Dr. Fauci should get on that and guarantee my safety.

Are we guaranteed safe from the asian killer wasp??
I think further research is needed before we ler our guard down.

I dont think there will be a season let alone school. This virus is no joke. I work from home and I'll be staying home.

Advertisement
Back