Should we have a football season?

Number1CanesFan

Sophomore
Given that the NFL is planning to start their season on time with contingencies, should college football do the same given its different dynamic of student athletes and college campuses?

Should there be a college football season this year? If yes, then what type of season?

There are basically 4 options:

1. Cancel the season all together.
2. Start the season as normal with contingencies.
3. Play a season without fans in the stands.
4. Start the football season in the Spring 2021 semester (January) when we may have a Covid-19 vaccine.

Given the revenue importance of college football, I think we'll have college footbal at some point. It's just a matter of when and how.

What are your thoughts on the options for the 2020 college football season?

Here's an article on the possible options.

Last edited:
Advertisement
:snoopfacepalm:
The season should start as close to the original schedule as possible. I sea know reason why a limited number of fans can't be in the stands as well. Masks will probably bee required and tailgating eliminated.

Canedog nose that some universities may decide not two go fourword with football or any other sports. NASCAR, Major League Baseball, and the NBA, will show weather it can bee done safely, or knot.

In 1968 when the Hong Kong flu ravished the country, life went on. The Chi Com Wuhan virus may bee more deadly but at some point life Musk go on with centsable precautions.

Last edited:
Given that the NFL is planning to start their season on time with contingencies, should college football do the same given its different dynamic of student athletes and college campuses?

Should there be a college football season this year? If yes, then what type of season?

There are basically 4 options:

1. Cancel the season all together.
2. Start the season as normal with contingencies.
3. Play a season without fans in the stands.
4. Start the football season in the Spring when we may have a Covid-19 vaccine.

Given the revenue importance of college football, I think we'll have college footbal at some point. It's just a matter of when and how.

What are your thoughts on the options for the 2020 college football season?

Here's an article on the possible options.
#4 is stupid. At that point, end of March, you may as well just have Spring practice and have a normal 2021 season.

#4 is stupid. At that point, end of March, you may as well just have Spring practice and have a normal 2021 season.
Let me correct the thread. Spring is Spring semester which begins in January. If you read the article I linked, they talk aboit the option of starting the season after the Super Bowl.

Advertisement
If it's safe, yes. We can't know now, and we definitely have to see what happens with all these states opening up. If cases and deaths skyrocket in the next month, then we have a problem bigger than football. If they don't, and start to go down, we can think about it. My biggest fear is that all the experts say it could to slow down in the summer and come back with a 2nd wave in the fall that's worse.

Dr. Fauci said sports shouldn't return until it was "guaranteed safe." As a result, sports should be banned permanently. Already .005% of non-nursing home citizens of Florida have been slaughtered by C19. How many more need to perish before we accept that not just sports, but everything must be shut down until there is a vaccine that 100% of the population takes, or forever (whichever comes first)?

If it's safe, yes. We can't know now, and we definitely have to see what happens with all these states opening up. If cases and deaths skyrocket in the next month, then we have a problem bigger than football. If they don't, and start to go down, we can think about it. My biggest fear is that all the experts say it could to slow down in the summer and come back with a 2nd wave in the fall that's worse.

My biggest fear is the "experts".

Advertisement
That's my worry as well. I worry that the footbal season gets cut like basketball did. At least they got to finish their regular season. There is the potential that football gets shut down right in the middle of the season.

I'd like to see the season start in October. This way we could have a better feel of how the pandemic is going and could adjust to a January-February season start if needed before playing any games.

Bowl games could be relatively on the same schedule or cancel some/most with a shortened down time of 1-2 weeks from the end of the regular season instead of the typical 1 month of down time before a bowl game.

Starting in October would give the NCAA time to evaluate how colleges campuses are doing with Covid-19. Since schools open in late August, there would be a one month window to know if we can move forward with an October start or go to a plan B January-February start.

Advertisement
New deaths and cases are precipitously falling here in New York. Other states will soon follow suit. There is no reason why there shouldn't be a season. Make the players sign a waiver, if you're paranoid about a lawsuit. They'll play.

We can take necessary precautions, noted above, such as no (or limited) fans in the stands. But the season should unequivocally be played. I'm not too worried about it because, at the end of the day, there's TONS of money at risk even with no fans in attendance with TV revenue and whatnot. And 99.9% of the time money wins out in the end.

Still a bad option.
It's an option. It may turn out to be the only one vs cancelling the season altogether if the pandemic 2nd wave comes in the Fall. Because universities would be in dire straits without football revenue, I believe cancelling the season isn't a viable option.

Advertisement
2gn5dm.jpg

*credit: JD08

We will play this year. I have no doubt. People are going back to work, and May just started.

The smart people in charge are all speaking publicly about how dangerous the situation is and how we have to monitor it. And they're canceling HS camps and meaningless **** like that, but they're not canceling this season unless there's another gigantic outbreak after businesses start reopening en masse.

Kids will return to college campuses. Some will get sick. Most will recover.

People will start forgetting about this whole thing once it comes off the 24/7 TV news cycle, and it will do that as soon as everything starts reopening barring another shutdown.

Advertisement
Back