NFL Should the Dolphins have drafted Justin Herbert?

I was lobbying for Herbert over Tua to the Dolphins. But, need to wait about 3 years to truly know their comparative worth.

Ex.

Who was the better QB pick, Winston or Marriota? Turns out neither was great.
Goff vs Wentz? Both are good but not dominant.
Mahomes? Wildly better than anticipated.
Rosen? Wildly worse than anticipated.

It takes 2-3 seasons to accurately assess young QBs.
Mahomes is different level man. He was fun to watch at Texas Tech but I never thought while watching him at Texas Tech he would be basically unstoppable. Kid is the goods. The Andy Reid offense is great for him as well but some of his throws are off the charts. Some of the guys on the Chiefs are cheese balls (Travis Kelce) but that kid is fun to watch.

Advertisement
Herbert has better/good offensive players around him. Coming into this season, Miami's OL was projected to be just as bad as they were last year, with maybe a little more improvement because of the signing of the C Karras from NE. No one thought (except for the Dolphins front office) that Jackson, Kindley, and Hunt would be able to start and actually be an improvement this soon. Herbert has better WRs, OL, RBs, basically a better situation than Tua. Plus, Fitzpatrick KNOWS Gailey's system really well. Tua will play because eventually Fitzpatrick plays himself out of a starting role. I trust Coach Flo, I think he's a great coach and Miami is way ahead of schedule. Now that Jones is back in the secondary with X, Miami has two lock down corners, Rowe completely shuts down great TEs (Kittle last week and Ertz last year), Sieler is improving, and I am a huge fan of both Van Ginkle and Baker as OLBs. I hope Jackson can come back from his foot injury, and Im hoping the OL continues to improve as Kindley and Hunt play. Miami is missing a good slot WR and a RB. They should upgrade both areas in the draft with four picks in the first two rounds. the future is bright.
Yes sir!

Possibly but I would say Herbert has a sneaky good supporting cast. The fact he’s doing it without his number one o line is remarkable

Did Herbert all of a sudden become vastly better somehow? He would've had to do that to now be better than Tua. It wasn't even close in college who the better of the two is.

A: Chad Pennington, Giovanni Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Tee Martin, Marc Bulger, Spergon Wynn.

Q: In 2000, who were the QBs who were "better college QBs" than Tom Brady?

If everything is inclusive until 15 years from now or 19 years from now (as you stated above), then why are you typing about the two quarterbacks? Stop typing, and I'll see you 15 years from now. Cheers.

Since you care so much, why don't you "read subject line of thread" before posting lengthy explanations of why Tua is not starting today.

Advertisement
I don't actually support Oldham Athletic (although I used to live near Boundary Park).

Cliffnotes - the username came up when I was on the SBN blog for the Oakland A's. I thought it was a cute play on words. My mum is from Oldham and I lived there for about 5 years after I was born. I got into NFL first through video games in the late 90s. Picked the Panthers 'cos they were one of the new expansion teams and that felt right. Became a Canes fan in the early 00s cos all the players I admired in the NFL pretty much all went to the same College.

Mistakes were made, clearly. :ROFLMAO:
Pretty cool

Herbert has better/good offensive players around him. Coming into this season, Miami's OL was projected to be just as bad as they were last year, with maybe a little more improvement because of the signing of the C Karras from NE. No one thought (except for the Dolphins front office) that Jackson, Kindley, and Hunt would be able to start and actually be an improvement this soon. Herbert has better WRs, OL, RBs, basically a better situation than Tua. Plus, Fitzpatrick KNOWS Gailey's system really well. Tua will play because eventually Fitzpatrick plays himself out of a starting role. I trust Coach Flo, I think he's a great coach and Miami is way ahead of schedule. Now that Jones is back in the secondary with X, Miami has two lock down corners, Rowe completely shuts down great TEs (Kittle last week and Ertz last year), Sieler is improving, and I am a huge fan of both Van Ginkle and Baker as OLBs. I hope Jackson can come back from his foot injury, and Im hoping the OL continues to improve as Kindley and Hunt play. Miami is missing a good slot WR and a RB. They should upgrade both areas in the draft with four picks in the first two rounds. the future is bright.
I want a true number 1 WR. I'm sorry but Parker nor Williams will ever be a true number 1 like you find on the good to great teams.

A: Chad Pennington, Giovanni Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Tee Martin, Marc Bulger, Spergon Wynn.

I call bull crap. Spurgeon Wynn SUCKED in college. Tom Brady was really good. Because of Lloyd Carr's love affair with Henson, Brady routinely had to lead Michigan from behind to wins. And he did. Carmazzi, Pennington, and Wynn were not better QBs in college than Brady.

Advertisement
Since you care so much, why don't you "read subject line of thread" before posting lengthy explanations of why Tua is not starting today.
Last time. The REASON why people are doubting the drafting of Tua over Herbert has nothing to do with Tua. He hasn't played yet. And the reason why he hasn't played is because of the variables I have listed several times. But you say it's all inconclusive anyway until 15-19 years from now. So even the "subject line of thread" i.e. "should the Dolphins have drafted Herbert over Tua" is, as you say, "inconclusive", so we shouldn't even be having this conversation.

I want a true number 1 WR. I'm sorry but Parker nor Williams will ever be a true number 1 like you find on the good to great teams.
We are going to disagree here, but I like Parker. I think he is a #1 WR. He's tall, fast, he wins 50/50 balls, he catches passes, teams have to account for him. The only thing that I THINK why fans haven't endeared themselves to Parker is he gets injured. But when he has a QB who can throw the football and knows the playbook, Parker is legit.

There are so many false starts in this thread. He's played FOUR league games. Settle down.

I call bull crap. Spurgeon Wynn SUCKED in college. Tom Brady was really good. Because of Lloyd Carr's love affair with Henson, Brady routinely had to lead Michigan from behind to wins. And he did. Carmazzi, Pennington, and Wynn were not better QBs in college than Brady.
I bust Brady's balls because I live up here and he became a bit insufferable with age. 20 years of watching him pull rabbits out of his hat was the norm. That said, he was good in college. I used to ask my buddies all the time why they play the stiff Henson and not the Cali kid. ALL THE TIME. Then NE drafted him and my buddies called and said the Pats got your Michigan all star. My response was that he would suck because everyone in NE sucks when they come here... That line of thinking did not really work out to well for me... The guys listed above were not better than Brady in college. No chance.

Advertisement
We are going to disagree here, but I like Parker. I think he is a #1 WR. He's tall, fast, he wins 50/50 balls, he catches passes, teams have to account for him. The only thing that I THINK why fans haven't endeared themselves to Parker is he gets injured. But when he has a QB who can throw the football and knows the playbook, Parker is legit.
He's not a true #1 but if you have another WR who is basically equal, you can be fine with two really good #2s.

The Dolphins' issue is that Parker is by far their best WR, is often injured, and the drop off is steep.

I bust Brady's balls because I live up here and he became a bit insufferable with age. 20 years of watching him pull rabbits out of his hat was the norm. That said, he was good in college. I used to ask my buddies all the time why they play the stiff Henson and not the Cali kid. ALL THE TIME. Then NE drafted him and my buddies called and said the Pats got your Michigan all star. My response was that he would suck because everyone in NE sucks when they come here... That line of thinking did not really work out to well for me... The guys listed above were not better than Brady in college. No chance.
Completely agree.

I'll admit I thought Marc Bulger would be better in the league. He was NFL material, but never what you'd hope for in a starter.

Advertisement
You do realize we got an OL in the 1st round right?. The fins arent tanking, they are obviously better than alot of teams in the league. What are we tanking for any **** way?. Yall ninjas love winning the off season..(lets tank for blah) alot of yall same mfers said the heat should of tank as well last season..look how that worked out
O line, d line those guys are always needed. Or they could have traded for more picks in future draft years.

Before even drafting the guy Miami knew he wasn't going to play this year due to either health concerns or covid uncertainties. This year was going to be a waste any way, so you tank one more year and get a generational talent, like LeBron.

Tua will probably have 2 or 3 good years, not great, get hurt and the Dolphins are back to square one.

And if the phins had the equivalent of Pat Rilley calling the shots you could trust the process, but like the Hurrixanes there has been decades of incompetence.

This is why you are such a bad porster. You used "Tua was a better college QB" to justify the Dolphins picking him over Herbert, as if the NFL is supposed to draft better college QBs. Then I gave you the list of all the QBs drafted ahead of Brady and you flip-flopped to claim that Brady was better than all them, including Pennington who went in the FIRST ROUND. You are claiming that a sixth round QB was a "better college QB" than a first rounder QB. Sure.

Brady's story is well known. He was SEVENTH on the depth chart at one point. He couldn't beat out GRIESE. And, sure, as a junior-senior he beat out freshman-sophomore Henson. Barely.

Then you lie about Brady vs. Henson. Brady started EVERY game in his junior AND senior seasons. Brady only platooned with Henson for the first half of 1999, and some of Brady's most memorable comebacks/close victories came when he was NOT platooning with Henson in 1999, such as victories over Indiana, Ped State, Ohio Taint, and Alabama.

But, sure, we are supposed to believe your nonsense about Tua being a "better collegiate QB" than Herbert, and how that should entitle Tua to being a higher draft choice...

I blame the virus because we weren’t able to have in face visits. If we would have worked out Herbert we would have taken him i believe that!

Advertisement
Back