NFL Should the Dolphins have drafted Justin Herbert?

As I look at how Herbert has been preforming I can’t get the feeling of ****! “Did we whiff on another QB draft?” I know Tua hasn’t played yet however the “signs” we were getting on not drafting Herbert don’t appear to be there.. I hope Tua becomes good
You moping and Tua ain’t even played yet lol. The best QB in the game RN didn’t play until his second year. Herbert wouldn’t even be playing RN if the team doc ain’t puncture the starter’s lung. Revisit this in 3 years at least. Because obviously we haven’t seen enough of either player to say anything yet.

Advertisement
I was very high on Herbert coming out of Oregon & I can see y many on here who were ho-hum on Cristobal until he shows what he can do w/o this young man as his QB. I told my dad (an avid Chargers fan) that they got #1 QB in the draft b/c of his moxy & his ability to hit any throw on the field w/ ease. He’s super ecstatic, although Herbert is 0-4. A lot of heartbreakers for this squad.

They are young, but they have the ability to be a problem next season, and a pest for playoff contenders this yr.
I think Oregon is about to put numbers on the board with Shough at QB and Joe Moorhead at OC. They’re also recruiting QB position at a Clemson/Bama/OSU type level

This was always going to be a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I'm happy to be almost at .500 with this fossil playing at QB. While I think Tua could help, it's best he gets as much rest as he can until the offense is fixed. When he's ready, the OL should be solidified and hopefully the playbook will be opened up.

As I look at how Herbert has been preforming I can’t get the feeling of ****! “Did we whiff on another QB draft?” I know Tua hasn’t played yet however the “signs” we were getting on not drafting Herbert don’t appear to be there.. I hope Tua becomes good

The answer is yes.

But it was obvious that the Dolphins had fallen in love with Tua a year earlier and would settle for nobody else but him.

Advertisement
I was lobbying for Herbert over Tua to the Dolphins. But, need to wait about 3 years to truly know their comparative worth.

Ex.

Who was the better QB pick, Winston or Marriota? Turns out neither was great.
Goff vs Wentz? Both are good but not dominant.
Mahomes? Wildly better than anticipated.
Rosen? Wildly worse than anticipated.

It takes 2-3 seasons to accurately assess young QBs.
Depends who you ask.

I saw all-world superstar in Mahomes the first game I watched of his at Texas Tech (I was screaming for the Panthers to Draft him). Obviously he had that ridiculous arm talent (and the ability to throw from multiple platforms), but it was the understanding of the offence that blew me away. He knew when to risk a throw, how to throw guys open, where guys were going to work towards if the play broke down.

Rosen I never saw what the big deal was - I felt he was inaccurate in college, which never bodes well for the NFL.

I didn't fancy Mariota coming out of college and I think Winston has turned out how you'd expect as a pro (albeit he's still young for a QB) - big play potential for both teams. If the Saints can refine him they've got a capable starter there.

Depends who you ask.

I saw all-world superstar in Mahomes the first game I watched of his at Texas Tech (I was screaming for the Panthers to Draft him). Obviously he had that ridiculous arm talent (and the ability to throw from multiple platforms), but it was the understanding of the offence that blew me away. He knew when to risk a throw, how to throw guys open, where guys were going to work towards if the play broke down.

Rosen I never saw what the big deal was - I felt he was inaccurate in college, which never bodes well for the NFL.

I didn't fancy Mariota coming out of college and I think Winston has turned out how you'd expect as a pro (albeit he's still young for a QB) - big play potential for both teams. If the Saints can refine him they've got a capable starter there.

How does one support Oldham Athletic and then also support the Canes? Interested to hear how haha

Advertisement
I wondered when the hire was made (and continue to wonder) if they hired Chan with plans to eventually have Fitzpatrick segue into that role. If he retires after this season it wouldn't be shocking to see him get a position on the staff. He's already mentoring Tua and has been lauded by just about everyone for his leadership.

If you look at the career trajectory of Kellen Moore as a coach, the blueprint has been set. Moore was always respected for his intelligence and was able to hang around in the NFL as a backup because of it and in spite of his physical limitations. He then spent 1 year as QB coach in Dallas after playing there for 3 seasons, before stepping into the OC role. Since becoming OC he has had a lot of success. Sure he is working with a lot of talent but that isn't a guarantee that an offense will excel. In recent memory just look at the Browns and the Falcons.
Interesting. Add Byron Leftwich to that short list. But like you said, Moore's got proven commodity's in Dak, Elliot, and Cooper while Byron has Tom, Evans, and Godwin.

It's certainly possible but would be high risk considering lack of overall experience within the offense and obviously Fitzpatrick's lack of experience play calling.

How does one support Oldham Athletic and then also support the Canes? Interested to hear how haha
I don't actually support Oldham Athletic (although I used to live near Boundary Park).

Cliffnotes - the username came up when I was on the SBN blog for the Oakland A's. I thought it was a cute play on words. My mum is from Oldham and I lived there for about 5 years after I was born. I got into NFL first through video games in the late 90s. Picked the Panthers 'cos they were one of the new expansion teams and that felt right. Became a Canes fan in the early 00s cos all the players I admired in the NFL pretty much all went to the same College.

Mistakes were made, clearly. :ROFLMAO:

Jurassic Park Gailey has actually been a solid hire statistically speaking. Fins are top 10 in scoring offense.

The issue is Fitzpatrick and a ****** run game.

Tua-short, average arm, injury history, threw to like 3-4 1st round WRs

Herbert-much taller, stronger arm, better athlete, didn’t have the weapons Tua did, performed very well at Senior bowl.

Another drafting mistake by the Dolphins.

Herbert was the best QB in the draft.

Advertisement
In my non-professional opinion, I didn't think Justin Herbert would be a good pro quarterback. I admittedly only watched a few Oregon games and they were all against better competition and he looked really hesitant and lost quite a few times. He would struggle to make quick decisions when pressured and would often just throw the ball into coverage. To me he was the perfect combine quarterback. Big guy, good athlete, strong arm. Hits all the passes against air defenders with no pass rush. It's still way too early to have a conclusion but he definitely looks better than I ever thought he would be.

Chargers have way better players around Herbert than Tua has in Miami. Miami’s OL was so bad last year and now they have 3 rookies starting, I don’t blame them for slow playing Tua. For all the good evals that the non-scouts here on CIS apparently had on Herbert, Tua was the better collegiate player. And it wasn’t close.

Advertisement
Yes! I'm a Buc, but I was screaming for the Fins to draft Herbert. Baga players think going there assures them success and NFL payday. Reality hits when they find out they were only as good because the competition didn't drop bags as well as baga.

Yeah I wasn’t a fan of Herbert coming out because I felt he was sheltered at Oregon and that was a sign. Now looking back I was maybe wrong and that him not opening it up was the corch move

Advertisement
Back