NFL Should the Dolphins have drafted Justin Herbert?

Be careful crowning rookie QBs before the film gets around the league.
Exactly. Wasn’t everyone cheering on Daniel Jones last year after a couple of games?

Give his division D-coordinators a full off season to digest film and let’s see how he looks next season

Advertisement
Chargers have way better players around Herbert than Tua has in Miami. Miami’s OL was so bad last year and now they have 3 rookies starting, I don’t blame them for slow playing Tua. For all the good evals that the non-scouts here on CIS apparently had on Herbert, Tua was the better collegiate player. And it wasn’t close.
is that why the almost beat Seattle and buffalo and moll whooped San Fran? Because the player suck?

is that why the almost beat Seattle and buffalo and moll whooped San Fran? Because the player suck?
the word "suck" doesn't appear in my comment. Do better.

I didn't say the Dolphins players "suck" but what I did say is, Herbert has way better players around him in SD than Tua has right now in Miami and that is one of the reasons why Tua hasn't started. Miami's OL was a mess last year, and before seeing how well Jackson, Kindley, and Hunt have played, their OL this year was not projected to be any better than last year. Herbert also has two very good WRs in SD (Allen and Williams). Tua would have Parker, but I don't think Preston Williams or Jakeem Grant elevate Miami's WRs to the talent level of SD's. Herbert also has a nice group of RBs who can bail him out on broken plays by giving them the ball in the flat or dinking it off to them. Before his injury Ekeler was a great receiving threat out of the backfield for SD.

Finally, when this year's QB class was coming out, Tua was rated higher than Herbert and rightfully so. Tua was the better collegiate QB. Last year, the NFL mantra was "Tank for Tua" not "Tank for Herbert".

Obviously Herbert doesn't suck, although he is in a "better" situation in SD currently than Tua is in at Miami. Fitzpatrick is not a awful QB; he's a streaky veteran who knows the offense and has familiarity with Gailey. The coaches obviously trust him right now to handle blitzes and the pass rush considering Miami's not good but really improving OL (with Jackson now hurt, we get to see Hunt at RT). Eventually, because Fitzpatrick is "streaky", he will play himself out of the starting QB position. Herbert is only starting in SD because Taylor got injured. Taylor was day 1 starter (some ppl forget that). Tua is only one play away (Fitzpatrick getting hurt) from playing.

Now, if you wish to have a conversation about what I said, please quote from my actual words and not what you want me to say. I have also noticed that you are really aggressive in your responses and it seems that you take a lot of stuff personally. So if that is how you are going to handle this conversation, I'll pass.

Agree. Why bring a dinosaur out of retirement when there are younger more exciting offenses out there.
Fitzpatrick and the guy are connected at the hip. Gailey knows the division im guessing as well. i was confused by it as well until i realized they really really f*ck with Fitzmagic

Advertisement
No. The phins should have traded down and picked up o and d linemen. Continue the tank this year and pick up TL.

Instead they draft a broke qb who doesn't look like he is even going to play this year from whats been said. And because they can't even tank right, they'll win 4 or 5 games this year and draft at the 7th spot.

You do realize we got an OL in the 1st round right?. The fins arent tanking, they are obviously better than alot of teams in the league. What are we tanking for any **** way?. Yall ninjas love winning the off season..(lets tank for blah) alot of yall same mfers said the heat should of tank as well last season..look how that worked out

Exactly. Wasn’t everyone cheering on Daniel Jones last year after a couple of games?

Give his division D-coordinators a full off season to digest film and let’s see how he looks next season
dont even need a full season. Have they even won a game with em?....its about to sink down to reality in the next 2 games.

the word "suck" doesn't appear in my comment. Do better.

I didn't say the Dolphins players "suck" but what I did say is, Herbert has way better players around him in SD than Tua has right now in Miami and that is one of the reasons why Tua hasn't started. Miami's OL was a mess last year, and before seeing how well Jackson, Kindley, and Hunt have played, their OL this year was not projected to be any better than last year. Herbert also has two very good WRs in SD (Allen and Williams). Tua would have Parker, but I don't think Preston Williams or Jakeem Grant elevate Miami's WRs to the talent level of SD's. Herbert also has a nice group of RBs who can bail him out on broken plays by giving them the ball in the flat or dinking it off to them. Before his injury Ekeler was a great receiving threat out of the backfield for SD.

Finally, when this year's QB class was coming out, Tua was rated higher than Herbert and rightfully so. Tua was the better collegiate QB. Last year, the NFL mantra was "Tank for Tua" not "Tank for Herbert".

Obviously Herbert doesn't suck, although he is in a "better" situation in SD currently than Tua is in at Miami. Fitzpatrick is not a awful QB; he's a streaky veteran who knows the offense and has familiarity with Gailey. The coaches obviously trust him right now to handle blitzes and the pass rush considering Miami's not good but really improving OL (with Jackson now hurt, we get to see Hunt at RT). Eventually, because Fitzpatrick is "streaky", he will play himself out of the starting QB position. Herbert is only starting in SD because Taylor got injured. Taylor was day 1 starter (some ppl forget that). Tua is only one play away (Fitzpatrick getting hurt) from playing.

Now, if you wish to have a conversation about what I said, please quote from my actual words and not what you want me to say. I have also noticed that you are really aggressive in your responses and it seems that you take a lot of stuff personally. So if that is how you are going to handle this conversation, I'll pass.

Every single point you make is nutty.

The question was whether the Dolphins made a mistake picking Tua, not "why is Tua not starting yet". And that oh-so-terrible Dolphins OL that you cite has somehow not prevented FitzMagic from putting up video game numbers. You're essentially making a Bobby Bowden "it only rained on our side of the field" argument.

All you are doing is a bunch of name-dropping and apples-oranges comparison. Yapping about "last year's" Dolphins OL or how the Dolphins OL was "projected" to play, rather than analyzing actual outcomes.

Then you cite the ETERNAL bullsh!te on "better collegiate QB". Nobody ******* cares about that. By that measure, Gino Torretta and Ken Dorsey should be NFL HOF'ers.

And your point on "Tank for Tua" was my EXACT POINT about the Dolphins falling in love with Tua a year ago and ignoring all other evidence. I mean, what if the Dolphins had "succeeded" in tanking and had the #1 overall pick, would they have passed on Burrow because they loved Tua so much? You know that was a very likely outcome.

FitzMagic won't "play himself out of a job" because he is streaky, it will be because of his age. Just stop it.

As for why Herbert is starting, again, NOBODY CARES. This was not a thread about "should the Dolphins be starting Tua" or "should the Chargers be sitting Herbert". It is a thread about which QB to take in the draft.

Not only was Herbert the far better selection, but there was SO MUCH RISK associated with Tua's injuries that I cannot fathom how the Dolphins screwed this one up.

The idiot Dolphins front office would have picked Tua #1 overall if they had only tanked more better.

Advertisement
Every single point you make is nutty.

The question was whether the Dolphins made a mistake picking Tua, not "why is Tua not starting yet". And that oh-so-terrible Dolphins OL that you cite has somehow not prevented FitzMagic from putting up video game numbers. You're essentially making a Bobby Bowden "it only rained on our side of the field" argument.

All you are doing is a bunch of name-dropping and apples-oranges comparison. Yapping about "last year's" Dolphins OL or how the Dolphins OL was "projected" to play, rather than analyzing actual outcomes.

Then you cite the ETERNAL bullsh!te on "better collegiate QB". Nobody ******* cares about that. By that measure, Gino Torretta and Ken Dorsey should be NFL HOF'ers.

And your point on "Tank for Tua" was my EXACT POINT about the Dolphins falling in love with Tua a year ago and ignoring all other evidence. I mean, what if the Dolphins had "succeeded" in tanking and had the #1 overall pick, would they have passed on Burrow because they loved Tua so much? You know that was a very likely outcome.

FitzMagic won't "play himself out of a job" because he is streaky, it will be because of his age. Just stop it.

As for why Herbert is starting, again, NOBODY CARES. This was not a thread about "should the Dolphins be starting Tua" or "should the Chargers be sitting Herbert". It is a thread about which QB to take in the draft.

Not only was Herbert the far better selection, but there was SO MUCH RISK associated with Tua's injuries that I cannot fathom how the Dolphins screwed this one up.

The idiot Dolphins front office would have picked Tua #1 overall if they had only tanked more better.
The answer to “who took a he better QB” is inconclusive because Tua hasn’t played BECAUSE of the situations I mentioned above. Cheers.

The answer to “who took a he better QB” is inconclusive because Tua hasn’t played BECAUSE of the situations I mentioned above. Cheers.

Anything is "inconclusive" until 15 years from now. Or 19 years at the Hall of Fame induction.

Dolphins should have drafted Herbert. Some geniuses are acting like the entire NFL will play Herbert differently once they "watch tape". The kid is good. The kid can make the throws. Obviously, injuries could change things in the future.

If you honestly believe that Tua will outperform what Herbert is doing, if only Tua gets to start, that's on you. But the question of whether Herbert deserved to be drafted in the Top 5 has been answered. Same with Burrow.

Keep telling us how Tua was the better "collegiate QB"...

Advertisement
Did Herbert all of a sudden become vastly better somehow? He would've had to do that to now be better than Tua. It wasn't even close in college who the better of the two is.

Anything is "inconclusive" until 15 years from now. Or 19 years at the Hall of Fame induction.

Dolphins should have drafted Herbert. Some geniuses are acting like the entire NFL will play Herbert differently once they "watch tape". The kid is good. The kid can make the throws. Obviously, injuries could change things in the future.

If you honestly believe that Tua will outperform what Herbert is doing, if only Tua gets to start, that's on you. But the question of whether Herbert deserved to be drafted in the Top 5 has been answered. Same with Burrow.

Keep telling us how Tua was the better "collegiate QB"...
If everything is inclusive until 15 years from now or 19 years from now (as you stated above), then why are you typing about the two quarterbacks? Stop typing, and I'll see you 15 years from now. Cheers.

5367D5A2-70B1-4945-B121-B90C4C7C2FA8.png

Truth is Herbert wouldn’t be playing in Miami right now. So if Tua was doing well for the Chargers while Herbert sat on our bench Miami fans would be losing there minds

Advertisement
Did Herbert all of a sudden become vastly better somehow? He would've had to do that to now be better than Tua. It wasn't even close in college who the better of the two is.
Herbert was surrounded by clowns in college.. That Oregon offense will be lucky to have 2-3 other players drafted while Tua was surrounded by 10 future 1st and second day picks so the college comparison is not apples to apples

Herbert has better/good offensive players around him. Coming into this season, Miami's OL was projected to be just as bad as they were last year, with maybe a little more improvement because of the signing of the C Karras from NE. No one thought (except for the Dolphins front office) that Jackson, Kindley, and Hunt would be able to start and actually be an improvement this soon. Herbert has better WRs, OL, RBs, basically a better situation than Tua. Plus, Fitzpatrick KNOWS Gailey's system really well. Tua will play because eventually Fitzpatrick plays himself out of a starting role. I trust Coach Flo, I think he's a great coach and Miami is way ahead of schedule. Now that Jones is back in the secondary with X, Miami has two lock down corners, Rowe completely shuts down great TEs (Kittle last week and Ertz last year), Sieler is improving, and I am a huge fan of both Van Ginkle and Baker as OLBs. I hope Jackson can come back from his foot injury, and Im hoping the OL continues to improve as Kindley and Hunt play. Miami is missing a good slot WR and a RB. They should upgrade both areas in the draft with four picks in the first two rounds. the future is bright.

View attachment 133633
Truth is Herbert wouldn’t be playing in Miami right now. So if Tua was doing well for the Chargers while Herbert sat on our bench Miami fans would be losing there minds
that's a good point. Herbert still has the same issues in the pros as he had in the college. He's not very accurate. and in the NFL, QBs who are not accurate, don't play long.

They should have drafted almost anyone else not named Tua. Everyone who has suffered the injury he had hasn’t lasted very long in the NFL.

Advertisement
Back