Shemar Stewart Perspective

Advertisement
I know this feels like a big miss now. He would've been our highest ranked recruit in this class. And maybe he blows up at Texas A&M and becomes a big miss. But he might bust.

Look at the top recruit in our class since 2010:

2010 - Seantrel Henderson #1
2011 - Anthony Chickillo #22
2012 - Duke Johnson #20
2013 - AQM #48
2014 - Chad Thomas #25
2015 - Mark Walton #83
2016 - Sam Bruce #84
2017 - Jeff Thomas #40
2018 - Lorenzo Lingard #25
2019 - Jeremiah Payton #54
2020 - Avante Williams #45
2021 - Leonard Taylor #11
2022 - Cyrus Moss #69

Williams/Taylor/Moss are TBD. There's some nice players, but I think Duke Johnson is really the only guy who actually moved the needle for us in Wins & Losses.

My point is a class is bigger than any one recruit. Mario was able to get Top 100 guys like Moss/Kelly/Skinner - and it's usually that volume vs a single player that makes the difference. Just keep stacking.
Well ****, the underachievement on that list is enough to scare away a top-rated kid.

Advertisement
And it doesn’t matter where they go.. If you follow recruiting classes since 2008 you can see college football littered with blue chip busts. Unfortunately we look at the draft and look at the star ratings and act like being an elite blue chip is some sort of guarantee but it’s not.

The rating system has improved a lot however and maybe the past 3 drafts make the system seem better but it’s still way off from a guarantee.

The only thing that I have to go on by predicting he might be a bust is the fact that he let some other man handle his own family business And he turned his recruitment into a circus. We’ve all seen players that do this and it has to be like 80% of them never pan out. Yes it’s sour grapes but I do believe that players that play around with a recruitment almost never pan out at the level that we thought they would.
As always, I'll point out that absolutely nobody thinks being a 5* is some guarantee of success. What you seem to miss is that, whatever the failure rate, 5* guys end up as pros more often than 4* guys who end up there more often than 3* guys. There will never be a rating system that gets it right every time, but the one we have works.

And I can't imagine anyone here not agreeing with you that the guys with the weird recruiting stories rarely live up to their billing.

As always, I'll point out that absolutely nobody thinks being a 5* is some guarantee of success. What you seem to miss is that, whatever the failure rate, 5* guys end up as pros more often than 4* guys who end up there more often than 3* guys. There will never be a rating system that gets it right every time, but the one we have works.

And I can't imagine anyone here not agreeing with you that the guys with the weird recruiting stories rarely live up to their billing.
We have had our fair share of 5* busts in our day. Just look at the Kyle Wrights and Ryan Moores. Granted Wright had 5 OCs in 4 years. Ryan Moore is still one of the highest rated WRs in 247 history and didn’t do jack after one good season with us. But the rating system has gotten better as time has went on. Still nothing is ever guaranteed.

Advertisement
Good point. We land Bain, Hicks, Wayne, Harbor, LeBlanc and Mitchell he can forget it. If we land 3 of the 6 I just mentioned he can forget it. We’re about to be recruiting on a level we’ve not seen before. At least since the internet has been a thing.

Just look at Terrence Lewis ending up at UCF. Kid f***** up he could’ve been apart of what’s about to happen. Now he’s just gonna be another 5* washout.
I mean the recruiting services rated T2 as a five star but the market for his services was Maryland and Manny lol. The writing was on the wall for him washing out long before he wound up at UCF

That’s true
I mean the recruiting services rated T2 as a five star but the market for his services was Maryland and Manny lol. The writing was on the wall for him washing out long before he wound up at UCF
That’s true Shemar is supremely talented compared to T2. While T2 did have potential he wasn’t even the best LB on his team. We got the best one in Wes!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back