Shemar Stewart Perspective

bshaw28

Junior
I know this feels like a big miss now. He would've been our highest ranked recruit in this class. And maybe he blows up at Texas A&M and becomes a big miss. But he might bust.

Look at the top recruit in our class since 2010:

2010 - Seantrel Henderson #1
2011 - Anthony Chickillo #22
2012 - Duke Johnson #20
2013 - AQM #48
2014 - Chad Thomas #25
2015 - Mark Walton #83
2016 - Sam Bruce #84
2017 - Jeff Thomas #40
2018 - Lorenzo Lingard #25
2019 - Jeremiah Payton #54
2020 - Avante Williams #45
2021 - Leonard Taylor #11
2022 - Cyrus Moss #69

Williams/Taylor/Moss are TBD. There's some nice players, but I think Duke Johnson is really the only guy who actually moved the needle for us in Wins & Losses.

My point is a class is bigger than any one recruit. Mario was able to get Top 100 guys like Moss/Kelly/Skinner - and it's usually that volume vs a single player that makes the difference. Just keep stacking.

Advertisement
100% right, ultimately it's very tough for one guy to make a difference in the Win column, I think most people (myself included) aren't even really thinking about that with these elite local recruits - just thinking more about the optics of keeping studs home/ the moral boost it gives - but ultimately it's really just important to have good players and depth across the board, especially at key positions with each class (something we haven't done in forever). If we can combine Mario's ability to do that with quality on field coaching (especially coordinators) we should be in good hands. Win some extra games and more of these guys will come, though there will always be guys who go and chase the biggest bag out there/just wanna get away (even elite coaches miss out on guys). However it feels like we've been saying some iteration of this over the last 15+ years so I understand the frustration lol.

Go canes

I know this feels like a big miss now. He would've been our highest ranked recruit in this class. And maybe he blows up at Texas A&M and becomes a big miss. But he might bust.

2012 - Duke Johnson #20
2013 - AQM #48
2014 - Chad Thomas #25
2015 - Mark Walton #83
2016 - Sam Bruce #84
2017 - Jeff Thomas #40
2022 - Cyrus Moss #69

Williams/Taylor/Moss are TBD. There's some nice players, but I think Duke Johnson is really the only guy who actually moved the needle for us in Wins & Losses.

My point is a class is bigger than any one recruit. Mario was able to get Top 100 guys like Moss/Kelly/Skinner - and it's usually that volume vs a single player that makes the difference. Just keep stacking.
A lot of this can be due to environment failures (Chickillo) or perceived focus/between the ear shortcomings (JT4, Payton) that are not accounted for in rankings.

Either way, we’ve 1) failed to put our highly ranked guys in positions to succeed, or 2) gotten guys that were highly ranked but had a something missing.

Look at a guy like Dallas Turner. He’d be a stud here now but 10 years ago I do not think we’d get the most out of him.

We’re off to a great start with JW and LT because they have no internal hindrances, and with Mario at the helm no longer have environmental hindrances. I’m excited to see what they become.

Advertisement

2012 - Duke Johnson #20
2013 - AQM #48
2014 - Chad Thomas #25
2015 - Mark Walton #83
2016 - Sam Bruce #84
2017 - Jeff Thomas #40
2022 - Cyrus Moss #69

Someone could turn this around and say we dont develop and underachieve with the talent we do get and others going elsewhere is for their best interest. Sayings its bigger than one player is true if you are UGA, Bama and they have stacks and stacks of premier studs/5 stars.. We HAVE to get top talent to compete, thank gawd Cristobal is a star ***** also, cuz this **** aint it..

2012 - Duke Johnson #20
2013 - AQM #48
2014 - Chad Thomas #25
2015 - Mark Walton #83
2016 - Sam Bruce #84
2017 - Jeff Thomas #40
2022 - Cyrus Moss #69

How many of the disappointments were related to coaching? Chad and Chick stand out.

Advertisement
And it doesn’t matter where they go.. If you follow recruiting classes since 2008 you can see college football littered with blue chip busts. Unfortunately we look at the draft and look at the star ratings and act like being an elite blue chip is some sort of guarantee but it’s not.

The rating system has improved a lot however and maybe the past 3 drafts make the system seem better but it’s still way off from a guarantee.

The only thing that I have to go on by predicting he might be a bust is the fact that he let some other man handle his own family business And he turned his recruitment into a circus. We’ve all seen players that do this and it has to be like 80% of them never pan out. Yes it’s sour grapes but I do believe that players that play around with a recruitment almost never pan out at the level that we thought they would.

Someone could turn this around and say we dont develop and underachieve with the talent we do get and others going elsewhere is for their best interest. Sayings its bigger than one player is true if you are UGA, Bama and they have stacks and stacks of premier studs/5 stars.. We HAVE to get top talent to compete, thank gawd Cristobal is a star ***** also, cuz this **** aint it..
Only 19% of 4 stars and 57% of 5 stars get drafted, so I'd say they developed at pretty normal rate. We just haven't stacked enough talent.

Grand scheme of things getting LT last year was much bigger than losing out on Stewart this year. LT will wind up being a much better player in the long run at a true position of need. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kelly and Moss turn out to be better than Stewart in the long run.

The Shemar sting aint hurt as much because we landed Nyjalik Kelly who I honestly wanted from day 1.

Nyjallik at times during recruitment was neck and neck as a prospect. The one difference is Shemar gained weight and kept his athleticism as a sr. But Nyjalikk Kelly IS THAT DUDE.

Before the szn is aid LAND 1 of the elite local DE'S and we did just that. Shemar would of been cherry on top.

Advertisement
Grand scheme of things getting LT last year was much bigger than losing out on Stewart this year. LT will wind up being a much better player in the long run at a true position of need. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kelly and Moss turn out to be better than Stewart in the long run.
We don't know that. Why say any of that you just sound butthurt.

2012 - Duke Johnson #20
2013 - AQM #48
2014 - Chad Thomas #25
2015 - Mark Walton #83
2016 - Sam Bruce #84
2017 - Jeff Thomas #40
2022 - Cyrus Moss #69

Duke also had an NFL OL in front of him, that no one would have guessed based on recruiting rankings sort of.

What prior recruits did or didn't do here has no impact on Stewart's career. But there's no way to spin it's a miss. It was a tough pull, considering Mario only had a couple months to make up a lot of lost ground but a miss nonetheless. Look at the recent championship teams. Line play is crucial. This guy was a potential war daddy on the line. He's the guy that programs need to get if you want to compete.

Advertisement
The Shemar sting aint hurt as much because we landed Nyjalik Kelly who I honestly wanted from day 1.

Nyjallik at times during recruitment was neck and neck as a prospect. The one difference is Shemar gained weight and kept his athleticism as a sr. But Nyjalikk Kelly IS THAT DUDE.

Before the szn is aid LAND 1 of the elite local DE'S and we did just that. Shemar would of been cherry on top.
I agree that I think Kelly will develop into a 1st rounder. Shemar will probably end up moving inside. He’s already massive/draws comparisons to Chris Jones. Would’ve been nice to have him and LT in the middle together and Kelly/Moss on the EDGE. It’s not the end of the world though.

Completely agree.

I think there's a ton of reasons a player might not work - lack of coaching/development, injuries, they didn't have it upstairs, they were just incorrectly overrated to begin with, etc.

Alabama consistently has 1-2 Top 50 guys in every class that become busts. But when you're getting 5-6+ Top 50 guys each class, the busts go unnoticed. With Miami, because we've been getting so few Top 50/100 type guys, each miss becomes amplified because we're so dependent on each one working out.

The key isn't any one player - it's a numbers game. The % of those that don't work can stay the same as long as overall amount is increasing.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back