2022 Shemar Stewart goes A2M

Status
Not open for further replies.
100%. If we are really hooking these kids up with bags now, shouldn’t he be locked up by now? Why else would he visit UGA….on “Elite prospect” weekend??? Unless he is just plain drunk off of that SEC bullsh1t and would rather take THEIR bags instead? I say *** this kid, mane…
Elite Prospect Weekend is for 2023+ recruits, not 2022

Advertisement
100%. If we are really hooking these kids up with bags now, shouldn’t he be locked up by now? Why else would he visit UGA….on “Elite prospect” weekend??? Unless he is just plain drunk off of that SEC bullsh1t and would rather take THEIR bags instead? I say *** this kid, mane…
I wouldn't go that far LOL! 🤣😂😅
Let the kid take his visits, let him go through the recruiting process. I can't hate on a kid for that.

I was simply saying that local 5* players, those elite immediate impact guys historically don't stay / haven't stayed home.

I want to be wrong but I just can't be too optimistic until I see the trend change.
Hopefully Mario will begin to land these types of guys.

I wouldn't go that far LOL! 🤣😂😅
Let the kid take his visits, let him go through the recruiting process. I can't hate on a kid for that.

I was simply saying that local 5* players, those elite immediate impact guys historically don't stay / haven't stayed home.

I want to be wrong but I just can't be too optimistic until I see the trend change.
Hopefully Mario will begin to land these types of guys.
Hopefully, bro. I’m like you- I’ve seen this cheesy *** movie too many times before?!? I know the black guy dies first, followed closely by the dumb blonde….🙄. Change this bullsh1t *** script, Mario!!!!!

What i dont understand is....JSU is FCS but the HBCUs hardly ever compete in the playoffs for a championship....Even 11 and 1 Jackson State was reduced to the Celebration bowl. Dont these guys care about winning a 'ship?
There’s a reason for that. all about timing.

Advertisement
Oh. I stand corrected
lol also would you rather have him come with a BUNCH of other elite prospects where Mario's attention is obviously going to be split between all these top guys and then UGA gets the last visit before signing day? Or he goes to UGA now, comes to us for the last visit before signing day, and not nearly (if any) elite visitors that last weekend so he gets all the attention.

Didn't James Williams do something similar? Went to a UGA visit then committed to us like a few days later out of the blue? I know Gil also visited UGA late and still inked with us.

According to Stewart's camp, the coveted pass rusher sat down on Tuesday night with a Texas A&M travel party that included James Coley, Terry Price, Elijah Robinson, Dameyune Craig, Tyler Santucci, D.J. Durkin and Bryant Gross-Armiento. Stewart, who has been to College Station multiple times over the years, already has a good relationship with a number of those coaches, although it should be noted that was the first time that he met with Durkin, who was hired to replace Mike Elko as the Aggies’ defensive coordinator.

Stewart apparently liked what he heard from Durkin, but he really enjoyed getting a chance to catch up with Gross-Armiento, who is originally from South Florida and is one of the main reasons why Stewart is so high on Texas A&M.

Next week, Stewart is expected to host Jimbo Fisher for an in-home visit. He's also likely going to get one final face-to-face pitch from the Bulldogs before he makes the short drive down to Miami for the final weekend of the contact period.
Non of this is a surprise. He was scheduled to go to UGA and obviously his finalist are going to do an in home before the final weekend. Not sure why anyone would freak out over this fluff piece.

Advertisement
lol also would you rather have him come with a BUNCH of other elite prospects where Mario's attention is obviously going to be split between all these top guys and then UGA gets the last visit before signing day? Or he goes to UGA now, comes to us for the last visit before signing day, and not nearly (if any) elite visitors that last weekend so he gets all the attention.

Didn't James Williams do something similar? Went to a UGA visit then committed to us like a few days later out of the blue? I know Gil also visited UGA late and still inked with us.
Last visit is always best. Sure, there's a chance saban will swoop in and get the kid to cancel on you, but it's still the best spot to be in. You get the last word, and kids usually save that spot for one of their favorites.

10868337.jpeg
Imagine sending your son to be coached by a guy that types like that. I would not want a grown man that says "it's 2 more difference makers out there" developing my child.

Advertisement
Imagine sending your son to be coached by a guy that types like that. I would not want a grown man that says "it's 2 more difference makers out there" developing my child.
I'm presuming he's referring to Stewart, but who is the second? Connelly?

I'd be more interested to see if he could pull a big-time starter or two away from a Georgia, Ohio State or Alabama with the Barstool money. Imagine a top starting quarterback transferring mid-summer to Jackson State.

I'd be more interested to see if he could pull a big-time starter or two away from a Georgia, Ohio State or Alabama with the Barstool money. Imagine a top starting quarterback transferring mid-summer to Jackson State.
Ya, if he starts pulling top kids away from UGA and Bama. I would team Deon all the way. If he keeps picking on Corch Cornrows I would also be backing him up.

I'm not saying Stewart is biting - he already ruled them out. I think Deion is just throwing noise out there and playing up speculation.

Advertisement

Highlights:

-
The world of college football recruiting can be a tricky field to navigate. Marquez has served as Shemar Stewart’s compass. Marquez calls Stewart his kid, and Stewart’s grandmother, who is raising him, has given Marquez the family’s blessing to take the lead during the process.

The 6-6, 272-pound All-American defensive lineman not only trusts Marquez to handle most of the mediation between him and college coaches, but to handle most of his interview requests from the media, too.

-Stewart, ranked the 12th-best high school recruit in the country in the 247Sports Composite, has freakish abilities. He deadlifts 613 pounds, runs a 4.68 in the 40-yard dash and has an 85-inch wingspan, Marquez said. Until this season, he also had been playing basketball, Marquez said, averaging “like 11 points and 10 rebounds” a game for Pace.

-
What matters to Marquez and Stewart most?

“First is education and what he wants to study for his diploma,” Marquez said. “We look into that. And then secondly, we talk about football. Because at the end of the day you’re only there playing football for that school for 12 games or hopefully 13 or 14 or 15. But you’re only playing six at home or whatever the case may be. So you’re not really playing football very much. So that aspect of the stadium and things like that, it doesn’t come into play as much. But what comes into play is the development of him as a player and as a man. Because we need to know that he’s going to continue to get the tough love that I’ve been giving him for so long. So that he becomes a better football player at his position and a better human being.”

Miami, Georgia and Texas A&M are the places Marquez believes Stewart will get all those things.

-What stands out about the Bulldogs?
Relationships (was primarily with Dan Lanning who is now at ORegon). Shemar could see himself playing at Georgia. They’ve got a lot of guys leaving for the pros because they won the (national title). He sees himself being able to go in there and play early.”

-But why do so many people think Stewart will end up at Texas A&M?
We’ve been there more than any other school,” Marquez said. “And Miami wasn’t doing such a great job recruiting him in the beginning. They’ve come on late. They’ve definitely made positive strides. Texas A&M, a lot of people thought they had the best recruiting class, and he could be the cherry on top.”

-Why was Miami trailing before coach Mario Cristobal took over?
“Their effort, who they were prioritizing and going after,” Marquez said. “Shemar, being the high-caliber player he is, I didn’t feel like they were putting their best foot forward with him. They were recruiting guys out of state harder or even guys of a lower caliber even in the state more than Shemar.”

Marquez made it a point to emphasize how much Cristobal’s approach in making Stewart Miami’s most prioritized recruit from the moment he took over for Manny Diaz on Dec. 6 has changed the outlook for the Hurricanes.

“Cristobal’s first phone call I believe he made was to Shemar,” Marquez said. “That showed us where his mind was at and about who he needed to get and what was the priority. That right there kind of set it off because Manny didn’t do those things. I spoke to Manny maybe two times on the phone. We never even went into the coach’s office at Miami until Cristobal.”

-When Stewart first visited Texas A&M, did Fisher take him immediately into the coaches’ office?
“Jimbo would’ve given Shemar the coaches’ office if he wanted it,” Marquez said. “Jimbo was open and willing to do whatever it took to get Shemar there.

“I mean, you gotta understand that as a coach, you have your guys. When you’re a coaches’ guy you get a little bit of a longer leash. You get more opportunities to do things incorrectly. You know what I mean? You have somebody you can call when something is not right being away from home. Because at the end of the day, we kind of lose sight of everything because we talk about football. But they’re still humans as well. When you have a head coach willing to take you in and put you under their wing, you feel more comfortable. You feel like, ‘OK, I can talk to that person because they’re human. That’s not my boss.’”

Marquez makes no bones about it — Texas A&M defensive line coach Terry Price is the position coach who has the best relationship with Stewart. But he also says Stewart likes Miami’s Joe Salave’a because he’s “down to earth” and because he was among the Miami assistants at Stewart’s home at the stroke of midnight last week when the contact period between coaches and players resumed.

Marquez notes that Shemar has friendships with other players at all three schools. Facilities - wise, TAMU is the best.
TAMU and Miami are recruiting Shemar as an edge player, UGA is telling him he will kick inside. Shemar wants to play outside.

Marquez says that Shemar understands that coaches come and go so they are looking for a situation he feels he could be in regardless of the coach.
Shemar isn't necessarily concerned with playing with only elite talent; " For him, it’s not all about going to a team that has success. He wants to be the change. Miami obviously fits that the best, since they’re kind of rebuilding that thing from the ground up.”

-How much does the potential for big money deals down the road affect Stewart’s thinking?

“We’ve spoken about it,” Marquez said. “But wherever he goes, there’s going to be more than enough NIL money there. So we’re not willing to sell our soul now for a lump sum just to be in a bad position. Will it play into the decision? I think it will, but just not as much as people think because without the money you’ve still got to play football. You don’t want to take a million and go play for FAMU.”

-“Jackson State has reached out, but he’s not interested,” Marquez said of Stewart. “When people get to know Shemar, they’ll understand that he’s not a flashy guy. He’s not a guy who wants to be in the limelight. That move to me is not in his best interest because it would be kind of like a marketing move. Look, I did this. I did the unthinkable. You know what I mean? And that’s not what he’s looking for. He wants to go to a school, play football and that’s it. He doesn’t want all that media about him being one of the best players going to an HBCU. He’s not trying to bring that attention to himself.”

-“He is a film addict. He loves watching game film,” Marquez said. “He’ll watch games he watched the day before. He’ll bring it up on YouTube and watch it again. He’ll send me messages, ‘Hey coach, what do you think of this move?’ He loves football.

-“Shemar is probably the humblest kid you’ll ever meet. He wants everything for everybody else before himself. He’s not selfish at all. It comes with being who he is on the field as well. He’s willing to sacrifice his body so that a linebacker can make plays, or a D-tackle to make plays. He’s unselfish.”

-“On the field, he flips a switch and becomes mean. There are levels to his being mean. There is ‘I’m playing a football game,’’ and then there is, ‘I’m ****ed they’re doing me dirty.’ You don’t want him to get to that because he’s going to throw that whole 275-pound body frame on you and it hurts.”

-
He’s going to have to finally go through the stress of weighing his options and deciding on his own.

“I will not be making the decision,” Marquez said. “It’s solely on Shemar and him alone.”

This was the first time I saw anything about his grandmother raising him. Shemar himself has said that his parents don't really understand sports or know much about football. Pretty sure @SouthParkCane mentioned his mother meeting Jimbo.....

Marquez sounds like he’s out for the kids best interest and that’s great news for us.

Being raised by his grandmother, it seems like his coach is the primary male figure in his life.

I said it a while ago, we didn't know their relationship, and it seems like it's what Stewart has needed in his life. Guy is looking out for him and doting all the i's and crossing the t's.

I think whoever develops the best relationship with him is going to win the recruiting battle. It sounds like that's A&M right now in that article.

I always thought Stewart was camera shy or humble for the level of recruit he is. That article confirms it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back