Shannon vs Diaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diaz certainly did a great job in 2016. But one thing I still am a little wary of is that Diaz had a good first year at both Texas and Mississippi State but declined after that. (Particularly at UT.) Some UT fans believe that offenses figured out his defense over time. Hopefully the same pattern won't occur here.

There is no pattern. He was DC at Miss. St. in 2010. The defense improved from the year before he got there. He came back to Miss St in 2015. He again improved their defense from the year before he got there.

His only failure - and it's a glaring one - was at Texas. His performance here trumps all that. Manny gets an upvote from me.

Advertisement
There's one poster that's going to turn this into a 15 page ****show and people are going to fall for it.

I will take Diaz. Shannon solid, but Diaz had the defense looking real strong this past year. Much more aggressive than Shannon.

The recruiting battles with Florida for defensive players has me thinking.

Who's the better coordinator of the two, based on Shannons time here as a DC, not head coach?

Diaz had an impressive first year. Shannon has the more impressive resume with the U.

As an aside, and **** yeah I am about to go there . . . There are a few reasons I believe Shannon is not beloved by Miami fans. Order them the way you want!

Shannon doesn't come across very well in the media.
Shannon is black, insert Steve Martin gif!
Shannon failed as head coach here.
Shannon seems intolerant and inflexible as it relates to his players/routines/schemes . . . 1 ex each . . . Sam Shields seemed to stay in his doghouse and never got out . . . he ran practice at 6 am or something crazy at times during the season . . . if another ****ing tight end or wr drag over the middle hits, Ill lose my ****ing mind.
Shannon ran a bend don't break defense that wasn't as aggressive as we all probably like! Additionally, it works great with first rounders at every spot . . .

SMH at you pulling out the race card. Miami fans don't love Folden or Dorito either. Shannon was inflexible with no personality, he lost, he burned bridges at local high schools and now he's a Gayturd with an axe to grind. It's that simple.

Last edited:
The shell shock from Golden/D'onofrio is clouding some of your opinions. We had a good year under Diaz. The only stat that stands out is tackles for loss. The other major rankings are in the top 20ish. Lets see what he does with a monster front 7 and an unproven secondary next year before crowning him.

Advertisement
Diaz!!!
5063560.jpg

If Richt fired Diaz tomorrow would it take him 7 years to be offered another job where he'd actually be calling defenses? I guess ALL of college football was just underestimating a freakin' former head corch or maybe Radio was just waiting for that right opportunity. Hey, I'll take upwards of a decade toiling as a positions corch....because I want to!

I roll with Diaz given what he had to work with this year. Lost his two best defensive players before game 1 and was forced to start 3 true freshman LBs. Shannon put out some great defenses, but those defenses were flat out loaded with talent, whereas Diaz is still developing these kids.

This is the only correct answer. He also never made a single excuse and just preached the 'next man up' mentality.

The shell shock from Golden/D'onofrio is clouding some of your opinions. We had a good year under Diaz. The only stat that stands out is tackles for loss. The other major rankings are in the top 20ish. Lets see what he does with a monster front 7 and an unproven secondary next year before crowning him.

Top 20 with only one proven corner and all freshman LB. Not to mention that we lost our best pass rusher a week before the season and we were in the 90's last year. Yuuuuuuge

Advertisement

Top 20 with only one proven corner and all freshman LB. Not to mention that we lost our best pass rusher a week before the season and we were in the 90's last year. Yuuuuuuge

Diaz had a good year. But realistically, with south florida talent, it's inexcusable for Miami (FL) to not have top 20 defenses every year.

Shannon also could not make an adjustment to save his life. One adjustment of put a **** spy on Craig Krenzel and we win title #6 . I am actually very excited to see today's offenses against Shannon's vanilla scheme. Running qbs, crossing routes and tight ends were his three weak points.

Shannon also could not make an adjustment to save his life. One adjustment of put a **** spy on Craig Krenzel and we win title #6 . I am actually very excited to see today's offenses against Shannon's vanilla scheme. Running qbs, crossing routes and tight ends were his three weak points.

Thats assuming he hasnt learned anything the past decade. But it will be interesting.

Advertisement

The defense gave up a total of 260 yards and that includes 3 over times. To blame the defense for that loss is crazy..lol

It's a tough comparison not just because Diaz has only been here one year but because offenses have changed significantly over the last decade. What Randy Shannon ran in the early/mid 2000s here wouldn't fly in today's game. You have to be more creative and flexible against today's spread offenses that break records every week. You can't just run quarters or man under 2 all game and hope that your superior athletes will negate any coaching advantage the other team has. You have to change up fronts and disguise things a lot now days. A predictable defense, even one loaded with talent, will eventually get beat by a good offensive coach.

Starting in 02' when we were still amazing on D, I noticed in the FSU game that he was too stubborn to change until it was ALMOST too late. He allowed that big back to just chew up yards on us and he just refused to get out of base cover 2. Finally, when the game was on life support, he snuck ST up a little to stop the hemorrhaging.

After that game, I watched how he just wouldn't make a necessary change which is why the *s QB ran allover the Fiasco bowl field on us.

When he has all world talent, staying in a base D no matter what will normally work against most O's. Shannon made few adjustments.

El Jefe is definitely a modern DC and has changed and evolved as a DC. Definitely, better at making adjustments and mid-game course corrections.

At this point, there's literally no no one else in College I'd rather have than our D staff as a group. I'm just glad we have them together for one more season, so let's make an historic run!!

Advertisement
Going to go with Diaz. The turnaround he engineered was simply amazing.

I think UVA's tight ends are still running wide open all over the field.

Randy is the GOAT UM defensive coordinator. He is really a great coach and one of the best defensive coaches in the game.

Diaz has an opportunity to make a run at that thrown. His defense last season was pretty good. Was it on the level of Randy Shannon, of course not but Diaz future looks bright in Coral Gables.

I said early in the season that if Diaz can get UM's defense in the 20's then it would be a really good year and if he was able to get them under 15 then it was a BEAST season.

My only fear of Diaz is that he might not stick around because of the options that may open up for him.

Way too small of a sample size. This is a year 3 question. Diaz needs to crack the top 10 in total defense before any comparison is made. Shannon did that quite few times while a DC at the U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back