Shalala sounding off on Twitter about the Marlins' sale...

Jeffrey Loria is the worst thing to ever happen to Miami sports. Biggest POS and he pimped The City of Miami. It's disgraceful what he did and it makes me sick that we let him get away with it.

Mods should close the thread here as it's something we all can agree with. Loria probably hightailed it back to his beloved New York City (while keeping a FL address for tax purposes) but I reallllllly can't believe that Samson still has the cojones to live here full time (despite Lebatard's constant attempts to humanize the cretin).

Advertisement
- 4 pro sports franchises have been awarded to S. Fla. and 4 stadiums built in the last 4 decades; which include the NHL, NBA, MLB, & MLS.

- Countless condominiums, two mega Arts complexes, a tunnel to the port, during the last decade in downtown alone.

- Tourist tax hikes and CRA monies swindled for decades.

- Miami Hurricanes won 5 NCs in the OB (should have been 6) in a 20 year span...

- OB hosted a dozen national championships & 5 Superbowls

If you examine all of that, how could you hang the OB's demise on a woman who arrived a couple years before it was torn down?

Makes no sense whatsoever.

I'M HAPPY WITH THE STADIUM WE'RE IN AFTER I SEEN THIS...

DOZlMnTWAAAYcsc.jpg

She hired Golden because nobody was beating the doors down to come here and coach. Ringing endorsement for limited options of slim to almost none.

She hired Golden because nobody was beating the doors down to come here and coach. Ringing endorsement for limited options of slim to almost none.

Thank you Donna, but that's bulls**t and you know it.

Advertisement
- 4 pro sports franchises have been awarded to S. Fla. and 4 stadiums built in the last 4 decades; which include the NHL, NBA, MLB, & MLS.

- Countless condominiums, two mega Arts complexes, a tunnel to the port, during the last decade in downtown alone.

- Tourist tax hikes and CRA monies swindled for decades.

- Miami Hurricanes won 5 NCs in the OB (should have been 6) in a 20 year span...

- OB hosted a dozen national championships & 5 Superbowls

If you examine all of that, how could you hang the OB's demise on a woman who arrived a couple years before it was torn down?

Makes no sense whatsoever.

All solid points.

I'd also like to add that, post-renovations, Hard Rock Stadium is one of the best atmospheres in college football. HRS during the Notre Dame game was one of the loudest/craziest sporting events I've ever been a part of.

she quoted a Herald tweet stating that Loria is claiming he didn't make any $$ on the sale of the Marlins. Shalala said "for this they forced us out of the Orange Bowl. Outrageous!"

GTFOH Donna. You were all about the $$ and moving to that stadium. It made financial sense for the school at the time.. Stick to your guns and stop trying to appease us fans now.

You, and the people like you, are ignorant buffoons.

Dade County, and the people of Dade County, had already gone to the polls and APPROVED the bond measure to fund the Orange Bowl renovations.

The City of Miami had a SIGNED CONTRACT with Hammes, which the City of Miami paid over a million dollars to break.

The Latin Builders Association freaked the fvck out when the contract was awarded to an out-of-state company, and they were cut out of lucrative sub-contracts.

It's only a bunch of uninformed nutjobs who continue to push the false narrative that Donna Shalala is to blame for the Orange Bowl. For decades, under multiple UM presidents, the City of Miami broke its promises over and over and over again.

Shalala did not sign a deal with Joe Robbie Stadium until AFTER the City of Miami screwed UM over one final and monstrous time.

Look, if you're going to continue to repeat a lie, why don't you GET SPECIFIC about the specific actions that Shalala took. I will be happy to destroy your flimsy campaign of hatred and disinformation.

None of this makes Shalala the best UM president ever, or the greatest proponent of UM sports ever. But it's honesty. Shalala didn't do anything (or fail to do anything) that led to the destruction of the Orange Bowl. That is SOLELY on the City of Miami and the Latin Builders Association. Those are facts.

At the end of the day you may be correct about the city and the validity of their promises BUT Lil' Donna hardly put up ANY fight let alone the proper campaign that could've been waged by the UM public relations machine. Instead she opted for the path of least resistance and the immediate payday- something she did in many other aspects of her presidency too.

"Shalala called the city's effort "extraordinary," but wondered if remodeling was worthwhile.

"Is it appropriate for the University of Miami, a private university, to ask the people, the taxpayers of the city, to spend $200 million on six games a year?" Shalala asked.

Ultimately, that answer was no."

Miami Hurricanes Leaving Orange Bowl - washingtonpost.com

Complete bull**** - the city never offered 200M, it you believe that, end of discussion. The city wouldn't even cough up the money to fix the lights after the hurricane. Total smoke and mirrors. UM never wanted to leave. The city bares all the blame, UM had no power to stop those corrupt fuggers.

she quoted a Herald tweet stating that Loria is claiming he didn't make any $$ on the sale of the Marlins. Shalala said "for this they forced us out of the Orange Bowl. Outrageous!"

GTFOH Donna. You were all about the $$ and moving to that stadium. It made financial sense for the school at the time.. Stick to your guns and stop trying to appease us fans now.

You, and the people like you, are ignorant buffoons.

Dade County, and the people of Dade County, had already gone to the polls and APPROVED the bond measure to fund the Orange Bowl renovations.

The City of Miami had a SIGNED CONTRACT with Hammes, which the City of Miami paid over a million dollars to break.

The Latin Builders Association freaked the fvck out when the contract was awarded to an out-of-state company, and they were cut out of lucrative sub-contracts.

It's only a bunch of uninformed nutjobs who continue to push the false narrative that Donna Shalala is to blame for the Orange Bowl. For decades, under multiple UM presidents, the City of Miami broke its promises over and over and over again.

Shalala did not sign a deal with Joe Robbie Stadium until AFTER the City of Miami screwed UM over one final and monstrous time.

Look, if you're going to continue to repeat a lie, why don't you GET SPECIFIC about the specific actions that Shalala took. I will be happy to destroy your flimsy campaign of hatred and disinformation.

None of this makes Shalala the best UM president ever, or the greatest proponent of UM sports ever. But it's honesty. Shalala didn't do anything (or fail to do anything) that led to the destruction of the Orange Bowl. That is SOLELY on the City of Miami and the Latin Builders Association. Those are facts.

At the end of the day you may be correct about the city and the validity of their promises BUT Lil' Donna hardly put up ANY fight let alone the proper campaign that could've been waged by the UM public relations machine. Instead she opted for the path of least resistance and the immediate payday- something she did in many other aspects of her presidency too.

"Shalala called the city's effort "extraordinary," but wondered if remodeling was worthwhile.

"Is it appropriate for the University of Miami, a private university, to ask the people, the taxpayers of the city, to spend $200 million on six games a year?" Shalala asked.

Ultimately, that answer was no."

Miami Hurricanes Leaving Orange Bowl - washingtonpost.com

Complete bull**** - the city never offered 200M, it you believe that, end of discussion. The city wouldn't even cough up the money to fix the lights after the hurricane. Total smoke and mirrors. UM never wanted to leave. The city bares all the blame, UM had no power to stop those corrupt fuggers.

THISSS!!! End thread.

I hate Shalalalalala's politics and basically her entire tenure as UM prez (although I did like seeing the climb in law school rank). She is to blame for a lot of things, but not the OB. CGCane gave the actual story behind it - the city, with big help from our DC's daddy, ignored the taxpayers and blew up the deal. Miami did not want to go to JRS, but it was the only choice left. No alternative facts here, that is the only version of the truth.

Advertisement
Jeffrey Loria is the worst thing to ever happen to Miami sports. Biggest POS and he pimped The City of Miami. It's disgraceful what he did and it makes me sick that we let him get away with it.

Worst thing for Miami sports but a **** of a businessman. Turned a 100 million investment into 1.2 billion, and city basically paid all his expenses. I hope I get the chance to do that to a city someday. Loria gets a middle finger, then a slow clap from me.

I'm a Miami fan and have been for years years now!! ALL I know is growing up watching Miami since the 90's and going back and watching highlights of the Canes in the 80's "THERE IS NO WAY" the Orange Bowl should have been torn down... That place carried the tradition of Miami football, believe it or not BUT after the OB was torn down, Miami football really struggled for it's identity!!

I'm not sure who deserves the blame for it, BUT that place should not have be torn down.. **I'm from Louisiana and the city of New Orleans would lose a lot if they was to tear down the Super Dome** It's just some places hold a lot of value to a community and a city and for Miami that was the Orange Bowl and losing that was basically the straw the broke the camel back!!

After Miami loss the OB the recruiting in and around Miami started to shift and schools came in Miami and started taking the best player's from Miami.. **A lot was loss with them tearing down the OB and Miami still suffering from that effect**

We struggled because we hired some terrible coaches, due to being extremely cheap. The OB had nothing to do with it. We STUNK before we left the OB, remember? 48-0 to Virginia ring a bell? The OB didn't make us, but rather we made the OB. When we stunk the OB didn't save us. The only magic in that place was our team.

The OB was tradition for Miami, believe it or not BUT that place made The U!! Everything great about The U was from the OB, and ever since it has been torn down Miami haven't been the same!! NOW I definitely agree the coaches that was hired before CMR, was not good for Miami as well, BUT as much as we talk about tradition on here, we can't overlook what the OB did for the Miami Hurricanes football program.. The OB gave our Canes that home feeling, WIN or LOSE.. Former player's spoke about what tearing down the OB felt like to them, look at 30 for 30, a lot of former player's was very upset because they tore down the Miami tradition and the memories these players had from that place..

No, it did NOT. If it did, why did we have long periods of suckitude? We were good when we hired good coaches, and we were bad when we did not. The OB didn't save us in the 1970s, or in the mid 2000s. The magic that happened there was all about the players, and the teams put together by good coaching staffs. The Orange Bowl did not, and could not, will our team to any wins with some voodoo magic.

Bottom line, the old building always got too much credit for the hard work our team put in.

Advertisement
Back