Serious questions about Randy Shannon...

I was a huge, huge fan of Randy when he was here as DC. I thought his system was better than Schiano's, was easier for the players, etc.

But when you go back and watch those games now, and look at the stats, I actually think after 2001 he underachieved a little given the unparalleled talent he had. It's unfathomable that teams could have moved the ball on us at all when you look at the rosters.
That was similar to my first question to my friend. Was he really a great DC, or did he benefit from the incredible amount of raw talent that was on the roster while he was DC? Was he the DC equivalent of Coker as HC?

What great DC did not have talent? I never understood this logic. I have never seen a good defense that did not have talent.

Great DC's do more than vanilla 4-3-2 Defense. Their players actually move. Great DC's make adjustments.

Advertisement
I was a huge, huge fan of Randy when he was here as DC. I thought his system was better than Schiano's, was easier for the players, etc.

But when you go back and watch those games now, and look at the stats, I actually think after 2001 he underachieved a little given the unparalleled talent he had. It's unfathomable that teams could have moved the ball on us at all when you look at the rosters.
That was similar to my first question to my friend. Was he really a great DC, or did he benefit from the incredible amount of raw talent that was on the roster while he was DC? Was he the DC equivalent of Coker as HC?

What great DC did not have talent? I never understood this logic. I have never seen a good defense that did not have talent.

Great DC's do more than vanilla 4-3-2 Defense. Their players actually move. Great DC's make adjustments.

Randy as a DC dominated his opponents. He ranked in the top 10 every year. Fans called our defense vanilla because we were spoiled. We complained about giving up 300 on defense against a good offense.

For most people 300 yards would be a fantastic defensive performance. Now UM fans would die for a defense that would only give up 300 yards against a good offensive opponent instead of 500 plus yards.

I seem to remember NCSU, Louisville and a few other teams running roughshod over us in 2004. LSU skullcorched us in 2005, so did VT in 2003.

Every defense will get gashed at some point. West Virginia simply shredded the Bama defense for 500 plus yards.

The 2003 31-7 game we lost...Virginia Tech only finished with 219 total yards the entire game

The 2006 31-7 Louisville we lost...Louisville only finished with 389 yards

The 2004 41-38 Louisville victory...we gave up 500 yards total

The 2004 45-31 victory against NC State the defense gave up 440

It funny to think we actually thought giving up those numbers was the end of the world. Teams put those up in a half against us the last 5 years.

Spoke to someone recently and they said that Shannon is a "football genius". They said that Miami "set his career back a decade". He "needed seasoning under an experienced head-coach, and he would have then been ready." He was a "disaster at recruiting, was too rigid and possessed abysmal public speaking skills." "Three to four more years under someone of the caliber of Richt, and he would have become an excellent head coach." "Shalala loved his toughness, background, resilience, grit and work-habits, so she gave him the opportunity and he failed spectacularly; and it set him back a decade." "People would hear him speak in public and would assume 'moron', but the reality is that he is a genius in regard to football." "Whipple overwhelmed him also." "Whipple refused to work as a team and a huge division developed between the offense and the defense." "Shannon also could not relate to the high sense of entitlement of highly-rated recruits."

They think that Shannon will eventually become a great coach some day............

I don't need to speak to someone to know he was anything but a football genius. I watched his teams, which had more NFL talent on defense than any series of teams in college history, consistently rely on great players bailing him out of otherwise nonexistent game plans and horrible adjustments.

Let me put it this way: Miami had ONE MONTH to prepare for Ohio State. OSU was a 1 dimensional team. They had mediocre talent everywhere, a below average, unathletic QB, and a tough running back.

And OSU proceeded to run for 145 yards on us. Not just Clarrett, who they couldn't stop a single time when it was a critical play. But the goddam QB ran wild on us. Krenzel ran for 81 goddam yards and 2 TDs in a game against Vince Wilfork, Jon Vilma, DJ Williams, Sean Taylor, Antrel Rolle, Kelly Jennings, William Joseph, Rocky McIntosh, and Jerome McDougle. It was a horrendous game plan to play Cover 2 man all game against a non-passing team. A complete joke.

Miami only gave up 260 yards on defense the entire game. Some of you make it sound as if UM was giving up 700 yards. If your defense only gives up 260 yards in a title game that is some outstanding defense.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back