Serious Question; FSU with Briles

Fair points. Briles seemed to be too basic and a poor feel for how to take advantage of their strengths repeatedly but the situations look similar and hopefully a better defense gives us an edge going forward

Advertisement
Well said. Right after they hired Briles I went and watched Houston highlights to get a feel for what he did and King just stood out. FSU didn't have anyone close to his skill-set on their roster. Honestly, N'Kosi or Tate, even with all of their flaws, would be better fits from a skill-set standpoint than Blackmon and Hornibrook.

I'm definitely still concerned about our OL considering how poor the run-blocking was last year and how Lashlee runs a run-heavy version of the spread.
Playing in a phone booth with a shaky OL was a bad idea. Not to mention with a QB that couldn't read a D, or sense pressure. What Lashlee runs SHOULD take a ton of heat off the OL. From the time the ball leaves the QB's hand, to the spacing, it should make the line look a lot better.

Briles didn't really run the offense until Taggart was fired. Briles complained that when Taggart was still HC, he wouldn't let Briles run practice the way he wanted to, etc.....
Exactly what my coworker said. The offense was never able to practice their new system in total.

I don’t think it’s different at all and I fully expect 6-6 next year. I’m sorry but that’s just where I am as a fan. All optimism has been beat out of me until I see otherwise.

Playing in a phone booth with a shaky OL was a bad idea. Not to mention with a QB that couldn't read a D, or sense pressure. What Lashlee runs SHOULD take a ton of heat off the OL. From the time the ball leaves the QB's hand, to the spacing, it should make the line look a lot better.
A big part of the problem was the combination of slow pace and lack of audibles. Miami breaks the huddle with 12 seconds left on the play clock, they line up and the defense has the perfect look to stop the play that was called but there’s no option so you run the play that was a failure right from the get go. Not only will the quick pace get them lined up much faster, there is always a check with me audible to get out of a terrible play and into something that attacks the defense better.
The more I think about the offense last year, the more I want to punch Enos in the Penos. He literally ran the worst possible scheme for the roster he inherited. A triple option flex bone would have been more successful than the garbage he used.

Advertisement
I don’t think it’s different at all and I fully expect 6-6 next year. I’m sorry but that’s just where I am as a fan. All optimism has been beat out of me until I see otherwise.
I think we will win more than 6, but not be that much better. There will be times where King and Lashlee will make us look better than we are, heads will get big, then we'll have some inexplicable performances.

FSU brought in Briles to install an uptempo spread. They failed.

Unquestionably a deplorable OL was part of the cause. BUT, FSU had talent at QB, RB in Cam, TE in McKitty and decent WR.

How is that different from UM this year? UM, arguably, had a worse OL, but UM has talent (unproven in this EXACT offense) at QB, RB, TE and good but uproven WR.

I'm looking at that and wondering how UM produces anything different than FSU managed last year, which was a ***** show.

Will we suffer the same fate? Assuming Diaz survives, how long will it take for Lashlee's offense to "click?"
Our offensive line is bad, but FSU's has been historically awful the last two seasons and that was made even worse by injuries. Our line definitely improved as the season went along and we return everyone as well.

We also brought in King, while FSU brought in Wisconsin's back up quarterback. Also our defense is a step above FSU's. We also lost at least two games because we didn't have a kicker and we hopefully fixed that as well.

The final thing is our toughest game next season is at Michigan State. FSU plays Clemson and Florida every year and is just generally in the tougher side of the ACC.

All that being said, we could totally blow it next season and suck, but I think we can begin to see a turnaround with a fun offense, King and Ed Reed's leadership, and improved special teams. Maybe we win 11 games and then anything can happen in the ACCCG against Clemson, but 9 or 10 wins should be the goal and getting that win total rolling year after year.

It's a valid observation and highlights that there is a limit to staff changes when you're facing broader problems than play-calling.

Advertisement
1580496257329.gif

man get yo *** up out of here :monkey-serious:

I love how everyone uses the FSU argument to try & say that what they did is what we did when that's not remotely close to actually happened.

First, who gives AF about what FSU did or didn't do? They win a natty in 2013 with Jumbo, how come TAMU hasn't won one with Jumbo too?? See how stupid that logic is.

Secondly, FSU did NOT have talent at QB, James Blackmon & Alex Hornibrook were both shìt QB's. Trying to compare their situation to ours at QB isn't even close. And their WR's are the most overrated in the state, it's a well known fact that FSU is a WR graveyard.

Thirdly, why TF are Canes fans always comparing FSU to Miami? There are no parallels between the two programs, all they are is our hated rivals, that's it. Whatever they do or don't do has no bearing on us & vice versa.

King didn’t come here for his last hurrah to put up with the bull**** that was going on this past year.

Advertisement
Actually that's a good question! You can't really predict these things. There's so much more to success than putting a good coach here or there. Sometimes the players are talented and good but there's something about the culture or attitudes or how things mesh that are not a good fit with a coach. But of course the coach is the one that typically gets fired. Sometimes if you give the coach more time new players come in then things turn out differently and sometimes things stay the same. I'm not defending Enos but if he had even a barely decent offensive line he would probably still have a job right now and we would have certainly won our division probably be ranked at the end of the season.

Burrow was a worker. He said that before the UM game that he was there for football. He would devote 1 hour a day for studies and then 8 hours a day to his job, football. Obviously the spread was the right fit for him (greatest season for a QB in history). He probably would have still put up better than solid numbers even if LSU stayed they same.

Hopefully the new offense works out for us. I wouldn't put much stock in all the folks basically guaranteeing that one change is all that you need.

Burrow was a worker. He said that before the UM game that he was there for football. He would devote 1 hour a day for studies and then 8 hours a day to his job, football.
The part I thought was ridiculous was that he went there as a grad transfer and the announcers said he was taking an online master's course.

How many college students live on campus and take one online class?

Advertisement
I think that's a completely rational POV but a couple of things to consider - for what it's worth - that we have a different team than FSU had under Willie. I remember a lot of talk on here about the character issues in the program and Willies' lack of control. I know we have our own set but they seem to be more about buy in and focus. Bottom line is we don't know and I wonder the same thing but pushing for a turnaround year because I am a Cane and fu*k FSU.

That, as well as D'Eriq King versus James Blackman and Alex Hornibrook.

A system is as good as the quarterback running it.

Wouldn't be half as excited about Lashlee in 2020 if Jarren Williams was still under center—but with King, there is reason for optimism.

I was told by a coworker who is an FSU alumni that a problem last year is that Briles had difficulty practicing the up tempo offense. Taggart would make the offense slow down their tempo during practice, as it was disruptive to the defense.
I really really hope Manny isn't stupid enough to do this too.

FSU brought in Briles to install an uptempo spread. They failed.

Unquestionably a deplorable OL was part of the cause. BUT, FSU had talent at QB, RB in Cam, TE in McKitty and decent WR.

How is that different from UM this year? UM, arguably, had a worse OL, but UM has talent (unproven in this EXACT offense) at QB, RB, TE and good but uproven WR.

I'm looking at that and wondering how UM produces anything different than FSU managed last year, which was a ***** show.

Will we suffer the same fate? Assuming Diaz survives, how long will it take for Lashlee's offense to "click?"

Briles improved them by 50 yards a game and a touchdown better from 2018. If anything this just dismisses your premise.

Advertisement
Back