Serious Question; FSU with Briles

No QB to run system

Akers should have been given ball more

FSU's Defense was not good and it put their offense in terrible situations

OL was probably worse than Miami's

In Briles's defense, he did improve the FSU's from the previous year

Well said. Right after they hired Briles I went and watched Houston highlights to get a feel for what he did and King just stood out. FSU didn't have anyone close to his skill-set on their roster. Honestly, N'Kosi or Tate, even with all of their flaws, would be better fits from a skill-set standpoint than Blackmon and Hornibrook.

I'm definitely still concerned about our OL considering how poor the run-blocking was last year and how Lashlee runs a run-heavy version of the spread.

Advertisement
FSU brought in Briles to install an uptempo spread. They failed.

Unquestionably a deplorable OL was part of the cause. BUT, FSU had talent at QB, RB in Cam, TE in McKitty and decent WR.

How is that different from UM this year? UM, arguably, had a worse OL, but UM has talent (unproven in this EXACT offense) at QB, RB, TE and good but uproven WR.

I'm looking at that and wondering how UM produces anything different than FSU managed last year, which was a ***** show.

Will we suffer the same fate? Assuming Diaz survives, how long will it take for Lashlee's offense to "click?"
FSU Lacked a dynamic player at QB..their D fell off big time..I agree with what your saying. I’m in wait n see mode with how the spread “helps” our issues upfront if those guys don’t naturally develop..but seemingly our D abs the arrival of king should be the difference

I understand concern. A new coach and system doesn’t necessarily mean immediate success. Still you can’t say “Briles flopped at FSU, so Lashlee will flop at Miami”. Different offenses, different philosophies, different players, different head coaches.
I know a bunch of FSU grads and for the most part they weren’t down on Briles as much as they blamed Taggart. According to them there was a bunch of head butting on offense with Taggart insisting things be done a certain way and being a little too “hands on”. This stuff happens when an offensive coach brings in a new offensive coordinator who runs a different system. At least here I know Manny will not touch the offense and let Lashlee do whatever he wants.
Still, you cannot discount the importance of having the right QB to run the system. Lashlee’s first year at SMU with a lame duck signal caller was mediocre at best. They picked up Buchelle on the transfer market and immediately became a juggernaut. King is going to pay huge dividends here.

FSU’s offense was actually significantly better last year than 2018. Now, it couldn’t have been worse than 2018. Literally only 1 way to go. But the analytics on 2019 vs 2018 favored Briles a lot. They’re just an abomination on that side of the ball, talent wise. Akers had a very solid year even playing with that who’s who of complete losers. Terry as well. But the QBs were dreadful, the OL was pitiful, and the skill kids behind Terry and Akers all stink.

FSU is going to be even worse this year. They may not make a bowl again. I loved the Norvell hire but he’s really got his work cut out for him. FSU is really broken.

Advertisement
Wasn’t it last year they had that receiver lineup backwards? I think King would be the major difference. Them having a somewhat capable mobile QB isn’t the same as having someone who’s produced at Kings level. King is also in his money year. I bet their offense would’ve looked different with that QB that got kicked off the team and a little better online play.

A- Briles isn't some offensive stud he is soooo overhyped
B- FSU was a flaming car wreck overall and while Miami has issues they don't have FSU issues . Miami COULD win 10 games next season . FSU is a few years away from being able to do that so they are much further down the **** hole then us
C- Lashlee actually runs a smart offense . Briles just called crap at FSU that made zero sense with a crap Oline
D- FSU didn't have a heisman hopeful at QB like we will.

FSU’s offense was actually significantly better last year than 2018. Now, it couldn’t have been worse than 2018. Literally only 1 way to go. But the analytics on 2019 vs 2018 favored Briles a lot. They’re just an abomination on that side of the ball, talent wise. Akers had a very solid year even playing with that who’s who of complete losers. Terry as well. But the QBs were dreadful, the OL was pitiful, and the skill kids behind Terry and Akers all stink.

FSU is going to be even worse this year. They may not make a bowl again. I loved the Norvell hire but he’s really got his work cut out for him. FSU is really broken.
They horribly broken and it ain't just a coaching / talent issue .

Also, if you look at teams that run tempo very well (OSU in particular), they tend to change tempo based on circumstance in the game. For example, OSU runs at a punishing pace early but slows down pace once they're ahead. They still get to the line fast, but milk the play clock down and do the "check with me" thing. I watched FSU games where their D was getting punished and instead of slowing down tempo on offense to give their D a break, they'd go a quick 3-and-out and put the D right back on the field. The coaching was just such a problem at FSU.

I don't know squat about Lashlee and how he changes tempo based on game situations, but I'd hope there is discussion b/w him and Manny about how to adapt it based on game circumstances.

Advertisement

Unquestionably a deplorable OL was part of the cause. BUT, FSU had talent at QB, RB in Cam, TE in McKitty and decent WR.

How is that different from UM this year? UM, arguably, had a worse OL, but UM has talent (unproven in this EXACT offense) at QB, RB, TE and good but uproven WR.

I'm looking at that and wondering how UM produces anything different than FSU managed last year, which was a ***** show.

Will we suffer the same fate? Assuming Diaz survives, how long will it take for Lashlee's offense to "click?"

As bad as our OL was the only team I saw that was noticeably worse was FSU. Re-watch our game. There is a play with all 4 of our DL surrounding a sacked FSU QB with all five of their OL lying on the ground at the LOS or turned around watching their QB get crushed. That being said, your point stands and is a corncern. Hiring a spread OL Coach was smart. We’ll see how smart come Sept. I don’t know if FSU was as young as we were on the OL either. Our youth up front was a huge issue. My $0.02.

Lash+King

1580486231725.png

Briles didn't really run the offense until Taggart was fired. Briles complained that when Taggart was still HC, he wouldn't let Briles run practice the way he wanted to, etc.....

It’s exactly the same, with the only question being are we going to be patient enough to give it a couple years to work.

Advertisement
FSU lost multiple games because they gave up double digit leads, they were outscored in the second half in more than half of their games. Taggart had no idea how to make halftime adjustments and their defense was terrible.

On paper Miami's situation this year may look similar to FSU's last year, but I think a HUGE difference is the quality of our defense compared to theirs. I will also note that Miami was notorious for coming out criminally slow on offense each week last year, in theory Lashlee's system and King will help remedy that.

Advertisement
FSU offense was significantly better then it was the the previous two years. They just didn't have the right QB to run the system. Alex Hornibook is More of a pro style QB and Blackmon doesn't really have a quick delivery to succeed in a up tempo offense

It's a fair point.

• Manny and Willie both lost 7 games year 1.
• That off season they both hired an OC whose offense finished top 10 in scoring and total yards.
• Each coach was a corny hype man and embarrassment on social media.

The differences and cause for optimism:
• They had a terrible defense the year before (80th), we were solid (13th).
• We brought in a QB who scored 50 TDs in 11 games the last time he played.
• FSU returned garbage at QB.

Willie was the head coach at USF and significantly improved the program. He was HC at Oregon, a Power 5 school. Manny Diaz had 0 HC experience, and his best and only season includes losses to FIU and La. Tech. As much as Willie was a bad coach, I argue that Manny is worse. We will see when we compare year 2 of Manny to year 2 of Willie at FSU.

Willie brought in the Wisconsin QB that had beat us the year prior. Apparently, he turned out to be even worse than anyone on our bench and benefited from an immense OL at Wisky.

Conveniently people forgot that Enos benefited from an immense OL at Arkansas. I hope people haven't forgotten the talent at SMU or the lack thereof in their opponents.

I was told by a coworker who is an FSU alumni that a problem last year is that Briles had difficulty practicing the up tempo offense. Taggart would make the offense slow down their tempo during practice, as it was disruptive to the defense.

King will help jumpstart the project. Growing pains should be minimized with his experience and talent.

Advertisement
Back