Serious Question; FSU with Briles

BALDYCHUTES

Freshman
FSU brought in Briles to install an uptempo spread. They failed.

Unquestionably a deplorable OL was part of the cause. BUT, FSU had talent at QB, RB in Cam, TE in McKitty and decent WR.

How is that different from UM this year? UM, arguably, had a worse OL, but UM has talent (unproven in this EXACT offense) at QB, RB, TE and good but uproven WR.

I'm looking at that and wondering how UM produces anything different than FSU managed last year, which was a ***** show.

Will we suffer the same fate? Assuming Diaz survives, how long will it take for Lashlee's offense to "click?"

Advertisement
FSU brought in Briles to install an uptempo spread. They failed.

Unquestionably a deplorable OL was part of the cause. BUT, FSU had talent at QB, RB in Cam, TE in McKitty and decent WR.

How is that different from UM this year? UM, arguably, had a worse OL, but UM has talent (unproven in this EXACT offense) at QB, RB, TE and good but uproven WR.

I'm looking at that and wondering how UM produces anything different than FSU managed last year, which was a ***** show.

Will we suffer the same fate? Assuming Diaz survives, how long will it take for Lashlee's offense to "click?"

I think that's a completely rational POV but a couple of things to consider - for what it's worth - that we have a different team than FSU had under Willie. I remember a lot of talk on here about the character issues in the program and Willies' lack of control. I know we have our own set but they seem to be more about buy in and focus. Bottom line is we don't know and I wonder the same thing but pushing for a turnaround year because I am a Cane and fu*k FSU.

Advertisement
No QB to run system

Akers should have been given ball more

FSU's Defense was not good and it put their offense in terrible situations

OL was probably worse than Miami's

In Briles's defense, he did improve the FSU's from the previous year

Agree. Main issue being that the Briles offense typically thrives with a dual threat QB. They still improved offensively but their defense was just crap.

Advertisement
They did not have talent at QB and just because you implement a spread offense does not mean that you have the right personnel to run said offense.

Lashlee and Briles runs two completely different spread offenses. Lashlee offense actually protects the O-line, considering how fast the ball comes out of the QB hands. Also, King is the MAJOR difference. He is perfect for Lashlee's offense. There was not a QB on F$U's roster who was a good fit for Briles offense.

Also, F'uck F$U.

They did not have talent at QB and just because you implement a spread offense does not mean that you have the right personnel to run said offense.

Lashlee and Briles runs two completely different spread offenses. Lashlee offense actually protects the O-line, considering how fast the ball comes out of the QB hands. Also, King is the MAJOR difference. He is perfect for Lashlee's offense. There was not a QB on F$U's roster who was a good fit for Briles offense.

Also, F'uck F$U.

Last line sums it all up perfectly!

The veer and shoot works when u have a QB who is a threat to keep the zone read and throw the deep ball. FSU did not have that. They also had a worse oline and QB than we did and still had a better offense. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Briles got Franks drafted day 2.

Advertisement
There will be growing pains undoubtedly.

But Briles was awful at FSU. I watched many of their games--or at least parts--and they were generally disorganized on offense. A lot of penalties. They just looked like a mess. I have a feeling that was premised more on poor coaching than a mere change in system.

If Lashlee earns his paycheck, the offense will hopefully minimize mistakes as the season progresses. Luckily, after Temple, we have two cupcakes to iron out any wrinkles.

EDIT: Only 3 teams averaged more penalty yards per game than FSU. Ouch.

It's a fair point.

• Manny and Willie both lost 7 games year 1.
• That off season they both hired an OC whose offense finished top 10 in scoring and total yards.
• Each coach was a corny hype man and embarrassment on social media.

The differences and cause for optimism:
• They had a terrible defense the year before (80th), we were solid (13th).
• We brought in a QB who scored 50 TDs in 11 games the last time he played.
• FSU returned garbage at QB.

FSU’s culture was rancid and their OL was even worse than ours. But your concern is valid... we have the same problems to a lesser degree. You can’t run any offense successfully without discipline, some want-to, and a leader at QB. Hopefully King resolves that last one but I’m still concerned about the first two. Those problems are bigger than Xs and Os and those are Manny problems, not Lashlee or King problems.

Advertisement
Fsu defense did them no favors the last 2 years....fsu was able to score and move the ball but Briles agressive playcalling worked against them when they got a big lead. They needed to slow the tempo down to help the defense out since it was not that good.

It's a fair point.

• Manny and Willie both lost 7 games year 1.
• That off season they both hired an OC whose offense finished top 10 in scoring and total yards.
• Each coach was a corny hype man and embarrassment on social media.

The differences and cause for optimism:
• They had a terrible defense the year before (80th), we were solid (13th).
• We brought in a QB who scored 50 TDs in 11 games the last time he played.
• FSU returned garbage at QB.

manny is actually good on social media. the issue is he sucked on the field. willie and his social media director are horrific

Advertisement
Back