Self-Imposed Bowl Ban

There is NO WAY I would self-impose a bowl ban.

1. You don't self-impose a penalty when the NCAA hasn't even concluded its investigation. That's ridiculous. For what would you be self-imposing?

2. That could severely damage recruiting down the home stretch. We've been telling kids the sanctions aren't going to be that bad. A bowl ban is a harsh penalty that means major violations. If we self-impose, it makes us look like liars, and it could be hard to close the deal leading up to February.

3. The team gets extra practices for bowl preparation. Considering we're still in the early stages of a regime change, we need all the practices we can get.

4. I think it would be a slap in the face to the guys who have worked so hard for a bowl game. The entire team wasn't mixed up in the allegations. They shouldn't all suffer if they don't have to, and until the NCAA reveals its finding, they don't have to suffer. I just don't know how you look a kid in the eye and tell him, "Yeah, we're canceling our bowl game because MAYBE we committed some major violations."

5. The sitting chairman of the NCAA has gone out of his way to say how cooperative we're being, and has stated that the NCAA can't use the Yahoo! article as hard facts. They must conduct their own investigation. That leads me to believe they aren't going to drop the hammer.

6. We skate.

so much for# 6

Advertisement
This makes me think the administration knows a lot more than everyone else about the NCAA investigation then the public. They know that we don't skate and they're doing things to make the NCAA take it easy on us. NCAA has more on us then everyone thinks.

No. They know that the NCAA was going to impose a bowl ban for NEXT YEAR which would affect this huge recruiting class. So they're doing it this year

**** these sorry *** seniors anyway. They lost 40 games in 4 years and did this **** to themselves

We have to know our sanctions or else I'd be really confused with how Golden is getting kids to commit. I totally agree with the bowl ban. Our seniors as a group have underachieved and cheated. They shouldn't have an opportunity for bowl experience.

We have to know our sanctions or else I'd be really confused with how Golden is getting kids to commit. I totally agree with the bowl ban. Our seniors as a group have underachieved and cheated. They shouldn't have an opportunity for bowl experience.

So because some haven't lived up to your expectations, you say %$#! them? Get off your soapbox.

Smartest thing Miami could do for recruiting. Miami was looking at 1 to 2 year bowl ban and now the freshman may only be looking at 1 year ban as true freshman. Smart move for the future of the program and it is a way of punishing part of the problem and not the new kids who had nothing to do with what occurred. Its also a smart move in the eyes of the NCAA that miami is cooperating in an unprecedented way.

Advertisement
They (the current seniors) underachieved the past two years.

Not the case this season. They deserve to go.

You guys really don't think this will not hurt us in recruiting? I don't see it that way at all- now rivals will just say it's going to get worse than the SC sanctions and we know it.

You guys really don't think this will not hurt us in recruiting? I don't see it that way at all- now rivals will just say it's going to get worse than the SC sanctions and we know it.

No I don't think it will hurt us going forward. After Friday, Golden and staff will be devoting almost all their time to recruiting. Creating relationships and trust is the most important thing in the recruiting game IMO and they have time to do that.

Its not like Miami doesn't get negatively recruited all the time by other schools. I also think the university has somewhat of an idea what sanctions they will receive.

Advertisement

No I don't think it will hurt us going forward. After Friday, Golden and staff will be devoting almost all their time to recruiting. Creating relationships and trust is the most important thing in the recruiting game IMO and they have time to do that.

Its not like Miami doesn't get negatively recruited all the time by other schools. I also think the university has somewhat of an idea what sanctions they will receive.

Agree with you Diego 100%.

Get it over with. Keep moving forward and keep as much of the negativity as possible behind.

Advertisement
think this is a wise decision..although seeing miami vs boise would have been fun to watch

Last edited:
think this is a wise decision..although seeing miami vs boise would have been fun to watch

I don't think it would've been THAT fun. They'd have crushed us.

As for the bowl ban, it's really the only smart choice. It sends both the NCAA and incoming recruits important messages that will help us in the future.

Advertisement
They (the current seniors) underachieved the past two years.

Not the case this season. They deserve to go.

the current players are part of the group that caused us to get in trouble, not the kids signing now. Assuming a bowl ban was inevitable (and I believe that to be the case) then it needed to be this year.

So because some haven't lived up to your expectations, you say %$#! them? Get off your soapbox.

No, we say %#^# them because some of those seniors got us in the mess in the first place.

This could keep certain players from deciding to leave school and turn pro. A bowl game provides another stage for guys like Miller, Washington, Streeter, Vernon, and Armstrong to showcase their talents. I'm sure none of those guys wants to leave Miami under these terms as well.

In a season where almost nothing went right, this news really shouldn't be a surprise. The sooner we can put this season behind us the better off we will be.

Good and bad news.
Good news: Obviously the NCAA advised us to do this to hopefully reduce future penalties.
Bad news: We are going to have future penalties.

If I remember correctly, butch did this in 1995 ( self bowl ban) and we still lost 30 scollies.

Advertisement
Back