SEC Week at the Light

I hope the AD gets a clue and realizes that Miami needs to can Morris and DiMare immediately, and go out and hire one of the Assistant Coaches from this list:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/col...l-assistant-coaches-2018/#mQq3VhiGEBGsJAkK.97

I'd roll with Saarloos from TCU or Yeskie from Oregon State (pitching). The Miami coaching staff has jumped from the Randy Shannon phase to the Al Golden phase. Slipping from kinda/sorta respectable to laughingstock. Pull the plug now.

Advertisement
I hope the AD gets a clue and realizes that Miami needs to can Morris and DiMare immediately, and go out and hire one of the Assistant Coaches from this list:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/col...l-assistant-coaches-2018/#mQq3VhiGEBGsJAkK.97

I'd roll with Saarloos from TCU or Yeskie from Oregon State (pitching). The Miami coaching staff has jumped from the Randy Shannon phase to the Al Golden phase. Slipping from kinda/sorta respectable to laughingstock. Pull the plug now.

We're stuck with DiMare until he retires. If he can't turn things around, the program is screwed.

Oh, please. That's not news around here. It just became a convenient excuse when Morris stopped competing for championships. Scholarships have been at 11.7 for years. Other private schools are still finding ways to compete at a high level.

Before coming at us with the expensive private school argument, make sure you know that we lost a home series to Dartmouth last year. Dartmouth costs $67,000 per year and they have 1/50th of the baseball players we have in our respective geographic areas.

please. before coming at me with that nonsense, learn the difference between causation and correlation.

we lost to dartmouth last year because we sucked mega moosecock. the REASONS we did, are numerous, but the matter of scholarship limitations is structural. that was my point.

all that aside, i agree with a lot of what you post, and appreciate your passion for the 'canes.

i just hope that somehow, we can figure this out because the state of UM baseball is depressing

Advertisement
please. before coming at me with that nonsense, learn the difference between causation and correlation.

we lost to dartmouth last year because we sucked mega moosecock. the REASONS we did, are numerous, but the matter of scholarship limitations is structural. that was my point.

Except that you squarely placed the blame for our decline on "structural issues". It's still there in print.

Alright Jagr, sorry about the jape. As I said, I agree with you that the program is, obviously, in a state of disarray and that changes are needed.

That said, is McKendry not an "ACC-caliber starting pitcher?" Short sample size/hindsight/kneejerk - I get it - but he has looked near unhittable in about 8 of his 10 innings this year, and in the one where he gave up the runs he had an easy 6 4 3 bounce off his glove, a bases loaded groundball to first where an out didn't get recorded and another ground ball go through Toral's legs. Any college pitcher that can control 3 pitches and move his sinker in and out is going to get a lot of outs.

To your point, though, one isn't enough.

Except that you squarely placed the blame for our decline on "structural issues". It's still there in print.

Aha, I see what you're saying now.

Let me clarify: 1) The systemic change in college baseball has made it much more difficult for us to sustain the elite level we expect. That is not within our control. I will add to that, 2) the increase in financial incentives for HS kids to sign as opposed to attend college. That is out of our control, too, and those two things together comprise a big component of our steady decline and our current problems.

However, that is not, as you stated and with which I agree, 100% of the issue.

The other three factors? 3) generally sub-optimal coaching, 4) questionable evaluations, and 5) ineffective player development.

So, how do I allocate the percentages of cause among those 5 key factors?

I would say this:

1) 35%
2) 20%
3) 20%
4) 10%
5) 15%

Feel free to disagree and add your own numbers, but that's my (semi-educated and informed) take for what it's worth.

Advertisement
Back